Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #1

NEWBIE needs info on best portable air compressor

2018 Forest River FR3 29DS: Getting our rig ready for our first outing and I’ve been trolling the forum getting great ideas for how to equip our coach with the “just in case” tools. I’ve seen some talking about have a portable air compressor that will do the job in airing up RV tires. Recommendations please. Efficient AND cost effective if possible. And by the way. This forum has literally been my saving grace in teaching me some of the important things to consider. Looking so forward to this weekend.
GeauxMimiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #2

there are probably a thousand posts on this subject. just search for 'air compressor'.

i am not familiar with the tires you have and the psi you need. knowing the required psi is very important in selecting a compressor.

do you have a generator that can power a 120 volt ac compressor? if not you will need a 12 volt dc compressor. you can of course still use a 12 volt dc compressor even if you have a generator.

people will offer all kinds of makes / models. they come in all types of quality / capability / price.

read some of the previous posts.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #3

Slime makes a pretty good 12v compressor. Mine came with an assortment of electrical adapters (battery clamp, 12v socket) and an extension cord. Slime makes a heavy-duty version that they recommend for RV use. Mine was for motorcycle, but it still works well for my trailer.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #4

Thank you Just Mike

Just Mike, thanks you for the tip. I looked on Amazon but it appears Slime has several to choose from. Could you post a link to the one that you a referring to. I can pass that info on to my husband and we will look into it further.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Coach

What PSI do your tires call for? I see your gvwr is 23,000 so I'm guessing they're pretty high. Make sure to choose one that exceeds the pressure you need otherwise it will either not work at all, or be very disappointing with the amount of time it takes.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

IMO, there is but one good choice - the VIAIR 450 RV kit. Compressor is 100% duty cycle and is very quiet. Will handle the psi requirements for any RV tire. Kit has everything you need.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #7

Thank you CurtPutnam

I think this may be one of the ones we were looking at buying. Will check in to this one further as well. I appreciate the feedback. We are very new to RVing. Took our FR3 out for the first time this weekend. I think I have a new passion. Loved, loved, loved it. Just trying to have all the right equipment for as many what ifs as possible.
2018 FR3 29DS
Thankful, Grateful & Blessed
Old 08-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #8

Settled on the VIAIR 450 RV kit. Solid unit and has a case. Easy to transport. Thank you all for your feedback.
2018 FR3 29DS
Thankful, Grateful & Blessed
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #9

congratulations. we have the viair rv 400 and it has served us well. i'm sure yours will work well for you.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxMimiGo View Post
2018 Forest River FR3 29DS: Getting our rig ready for our first outing and I’ve been trolling the forum getting great ideas for how to equip our coach with the “just in case” tools. I’ve seen some talking about have a portable air compressor that will do the job in airing up RV tires. Recommendations please. Efficient AND cost effective if possible. And by the way. This forum has literally been my saving grace in teaching me some of the important things to consider. Looking so forward to this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	221095
Bought one of these at Harbor Freight , 3hp, oil less
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags