Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #1

Oregon Chain Law

Directly from Tripcheck.
Oregon Chain Law

https://tripcheck.com/Pages/chain-laws.asp

Oregon's chain law applies to all highways throughout the state. When you drive in winter conditions, you may see signs telling you to carry chains or traction tires and when you are required to use them. In some areas, lighted message signs also will advise you about chaining up. Traction tires may be used in place of chains on vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or less and that are not towing or being towed.

Studded tires are legal in Oregon from November 1 through March 31. Because of the damage caused by studded tires, the Department of Transportation encourages motorists to use studded tires only when necessary. Delaying putting on studded tires or using other traction tires is helpful to the condition of the highways.

For placement of chains or traction tires go to Minimum Chain Requirements. For information on traction tires go to Traction Tires.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #2

We will be coming north on 101 from roughly the Bay Area to Brookings. Not likely to need chains but carrying them just in case. My trailer has brakes on both axles. If I have to chain up does it make any difference which axle I put them on?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
We will be coming north on 101 from roughly the Bay Area to Brookings. Not likely to need chains but carrying them just in case. My trailer has brakes on both axles. If I have to chain up does it make any difference which axle I put them on?
No, put them on which ever is easiest.

I'd put them on the back axle of my FW because it is a touch heaver than the front because it rides nose high on the 350.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
Actually by law you can put one on each axle of a tandem, did that with the big trailers. Also on the pup trailers we might even put on on the front axle and one on the back axle, they just had to be on opposite sides of the trailer. Just depended on where we got parked sometimes, things in the way or such.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote