Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Uneven tire wear???

I have a 2011 Forrest River Wildwood 26TBS travel trailer. It has 2 axles. Just got back from a 2200 mile trip. All 4 tires have worn down on the inside tread. Very little wear on the remaining tread. I am referring to the part of the tread, where If you were looking at tread area, the worn down part is on the axle side and is about 1/4 width of the entire tread width. Can this be caused by to much weight in the trailer?
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #2

I had a problem like this, and it was the axles. Did you get the 2nd year warranty, if so, I would call the dealer. They replaced both axles and all 4 tires for me.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

Overloaded, worn out suspension components, bend axles, crappy Chinese tires. Any or all could be contributing to your problem. You need to start doing a thorough inspection of the entire suspension system.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Overloaded, worn out suspension components, bend axles, crappy Chinese tires. Any or all could be contributing to your problem. You need to start doing a thorough inspection of the entire suspension system.
Agree with all the above except the crappy Chinese tires. The tires don't come into play as far as wearing on the inside of all 4. If they were all worn flat across the entire tread, then yes.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #5

No I did not get the warranty. I called the dealer and set up an appointment to have the trailer looked at. I asked him if there are any known issues regarding this problem, dealer says no, think he was not telling me the truth, He will have to look at the trailer. I will let you know what the dealer says after he looks at it on the 24 th.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
No I did not get the warranty. I called the dealer and set up an appointment to have the trailer looked at. I asked him if there are any known issues regarding this problem, dealer says no, think he was not telling me the truth, He will have to look at the trailer. I will let you know what the dealer says after he looks at it on the 24 th.
Get the mfg of the axles and contact them for some possible help or (dream a little)maybe some free axles under their warranty or maybe a goodwill gesture.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #7

Are they rubber torsion axles, or do you have springs?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #8

Noticed my 2008 grey wolf 28bh was doing that as well...put the tires at max PSI and they seem to not be doing it as bad
Willysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They should be at max psi anyway .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken
Are they rubber torsion axles, or do you have springs?
They have springs.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #11

Had similar problem on my cedar creek installed mor ryde cross brace kit and wet lube kit + had axles checked and aligned now all is good and I can tell definite improvement in how it tows
jalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #12

Thumbs up

I agree with the rest it sounds like an axle problem not over weight. When you take it in make sure your at the cold pressure PSI !!!!! If you are not they will stop looking for the problem and say it's because of the PSI that will be the first thing they will check, do not let them stop their.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #13

Quote:
.........All 4 tires have worn down on the inside tread........................Can this be caused by to much weight in the trailer?
The answer is yes. Looking at at a new leaf spring trailer axle, with no load, you will notice a slight "crown" in the axle tube. This puts a no-load camber in the wheel/tire, slightly tilted outward at the top of the tire. As the axle is loaded, the leaf springs, being mounted inside the wheel/tire, are pushing down, tilting the top of the wheel/tire inward as the crown in the center of the axle tube is flexing downward. If the axle is loaded beyond the mfg.'s rated capacity, the axle will continue to flex downward tipping the bottom of the wheel/tire outward causing wear on the inside area of the tread.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #14

Bilcin, do you know the dry weight and GVWR oy your camper?
The reason I ask is that I have seem campers with axles barely able to carry the weight of the camper, let alone much cargo.
You could have a 5500 lb dry weight camper with two 3000 lb axles, which would only give you 500 lbs of cargo capacity, plus whatever was on the hitch, as that would not load the axles.
Or you could have a 5500 lb dry weight camper with two 4000 lb axles, which would give you 2500 lbs of cargo capacity plus the hitch weight.

My point is, if you have very light axles, you could indeed overload the axles. But if you have heavier axles, it would be much harder to overload them.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #15

Bakken, the dry weight is 5730 lbs and carrying capacity is 2047 lbs. I know I do not have over 2000 pounds of equipment and supplies on board.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Bakken, the dry weight is 5730 lbs and carrying capacity is 2047 lbs. I know I do not have over 2000 pounds of equipment and supplies on board.
That is what I thought, just wanted to check.
So we may be back to axles that just were not made correctly.
Whatever the case, things like this simply should not happen.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #17

I would hope Forest River will stand behind their products but that only happens on lala land.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #18

I've aways wondered how they can sell a trailer with a GVWR of 7250 with 3500 axles?!?!? Just doesn't add up.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willysrule View Post
I've aways wondered how they can sell a trailer with a GVWR of 7250 with 3500 axles?!?!? Just doesn't add up.
10%-15% of wt on the tongue.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #20

I understand that, but still doesn't make sense as to why you would want to do that...I know $$$$ is the deciding answer

maybe its just the fabricator in me...I try to build everything wayyy heavier than needed, my car trailer I built is registered at 9500 with two 5200 axles