Old 06-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
12 Pillows and 3 Frying pans

The salvage company is coming to collect my damaged fifth wheel and with much sorrow we proceeded to empty the unit of our personal effects. Thought it would be a good idea to empty the contents on the floor and table and then put our 'camping gear' in plastic containers. The emptying started and this is some of the items that were squirrelled and packed away.

1) 3 frying pans - regular everyday pans, all the same size..Why?
2) 12 pillows plus the 2 decorating ones in shams ..I use 1 , my wife uses 1 , maybe 2
3) 6 heavy duty quilts - must weigh a total of 150 lbs.
4) 22 glasses of different shapes and sizes - doesn't include the odd place setting of various wine glasses
5) 2 complete knife sets....kinda worries me
6) plates, cups, mugs, bowls both plastic and glass
7)20 towels
8)15 face clothes
9) 12 dish clothes
10)10 dish towels (I'm estimating at this point)
11) Did I mention bed clothes,, several sets,, just in case we have company. One bed in camper.. Not sure what she had in mind
12)good stock of shampoo, other hair products, tooth paste and the ever important toilet paper

Are you getting the picture? Is this necessary? and I haven't even started with the basement storage items, lawn chairs, generator, hoses, water and sewer, electrical extension cords, , umbrellas, games, leveling blocks, tire chocks, rope, lawn mats.

I thought I travelled 'light'. Some advice, take stock of your 'camping gear'. I bet you can reduce your carbon footprint by 50% and not notice the difference.

Oh well, the salvage company is scheduled and we'll soon bid adieu to a great lifestyle. It was fun.

Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
It always baffles me when I read how somebody claims they carry an extra 2000lbs beyond the dry weight. Now we know!
Seriously... I doubt I have more than 500 lbs of "stuff" packed. I like to be neat and organized.

I guess if I ever needed something I could borrow from a 5 er. lol

'15 F150 Ecoboost Maxtow Scab '13 Freedom Exp. 233RBS
Days camped 2016 53,
Days camped 2015 33,
Days camped 2014 47,

Years camping....50
dbarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
After our accident last winter, wet found the same to be true. But, when I brought the new camper home, somehow, all but one tote is loaded back up, plus more I'd guess.... It's a sickness
Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
It's amazing the stuff people carry. When we first started out in our Pop Up years ago that we had purchased from our neighbor, and a single gentleman to boot, I was surprised at how much stuff he had stored in there. He sold the Pop Up to us lock, stock and barrel! EVERYTHING. All the way down to the last outdated can good. How can "1" person have so much stuff? It was nice stuff, granted, but still a bit much. I guess he was ready for the worst of times camping.
Sheets and bedding galore, towels, you name it. I bet after we unloaded and went through the stuff and repacked we probably gained a hundred pounds or more, not to mention more storage for other needed essentials.

We sort of found ourselves being the same way ( over-packed ) until we got a few outings under our belts and realized what we did and didn't need. and of course when boon docking, seems you always need more stuff.

Now in our HTT we always keep control of our inventory. We like to keep it simple and neat. So much easier that way. Although we do carry more "stuff" in the winter months. Do we always need it? Maybe not...but it's handy in case we do.

Gotta love the Camping Bug and it's Quirky Perks.
Rick & Brian
1 Happy Camper Pup ( Mya )
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
It's pretty simple how it happens. You buy new stuff for your house...old stuff goes to the camper....just in case.
kscamping is offline   Reply With Quote