Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

2 x 10/12 permanently attached to jack pads

Does anyone permanently attach their 2 x 10/12 to alleviate the problem of storage and having to get down to place them, then retrieve, clean etc. I lag bolted mine to the front landing leg pads and the rear stab jack pads. 45'd the top edges and painted them black,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00211.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	35364   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00212.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	35365  
Old 07-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #2

Seems like a great idea to me!
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #3

Most sites we seem to camp in are well gravelled, and we don't use anything under the jacks, unless one landing gear leg is a bit higher than the other. Then we just shim the one, and as that is often a different height, we have a variety of different planks for that.
So, long story short, I see no need for the pads.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Since we normally park on concrete at home, the pads got scuffed and as a result, when it rained, the pads would leave rust stains. The wood protects the pads and prevents rust stains on concrete not only at home but at the campgrounds where we go in FL.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Since we normally park on concrete at home, the pads got scuffed and as a result, when it rained, the pads would leave rust stains. The wood protects the pads and prevents rust stains on concrete not only at home but at the campgrounds where we go in FL.
I doubt many people camp on concrete.
Just sayin.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Fawn Ridge @ Deer Creek in Davenport, FL has all level concrete pads, patios and driveways(not level) which is one of the 2 places we camp in FL from Nov to mid Mar. The main concern was the rust left on the concrete at home.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Fawn Ridge @ Deer Creek in Davenport, FL has all level concrete pads, patios and driveways(not level) which is one of the 2 places we camp in FL from Nov to mid Mar. The main concern was the rust left on the concrete at home.
If that is the concern, I would rather attach rubber pads instead of wood.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
If that is the concern, I would rather attach rubber pads instead of wood.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
How do you figure that?
No matter, as I am outta here!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Some how a post about permanently mounting 2x's on jack pads got twisted around the axle about something totally unrelated.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Most sites we seem to camp in are well gravelled, and we don't use anything under the jacks, unless one landing gear leg is a bit higher than the other. Then we just shim the one, and as that is often a different height, we have a variety of different planks for that.
So, long story short, I see no need for the pads.
Gravel is why I use 12x12 wood pads under my stabilizers. Over time the metal sinks into the gravel and the camper starts to bounce.

I will be bolting them in place from now on. Thanks Old Coot!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Gravel is why I use 12x12 wood pads under my stabilizers. Over time the metal sinks into the gravel and the camper starts to bounce.

I will be bolting them in place from now on. Thanks Old Coot!
Would like to find some of the plastic composite deck boards wide enough to use instead of wood, but so far have only found it 5.5" wide. Carry 2 of the composite boards 5' long in case we have to use the blocks on soft ground.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We have "in our area" black top pads in several camp grounds we frequent.
They "require" a bigger pad of wood or the like to be put down to spread the load so as the stabilizer doesn't sink or dent the hot asphalt.
Either the case I'd have to mount a much bigger piece to my stab so I guess ill just bring mine along like usual.

Nice idea.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #14

Hmm interesting idea - let us know how they hold up - we get about a half dozen trips out of the blocks before they start showing splits from embedded gravel
Old 07-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
We have "in our area" black top pads in several camp grounds we frequent.
They "require" a bigger pad of wood or the like to be put down to spread the load so as the stabilizer doesn't sink or dent the hot asphalt.
Either the case I'd have to mount a much bigger piece to my stab so I guess ill just bring mine along like usual.

Nice idea.

There are so many variables that I would prefer to have a variety of options available, and not mount something permanent to my jack pads.
And on my rear jack pads, I actually welded pieces of angle iron under the pads to give them traction on gravel pads. That stops them from moving around, and may help decrease motion in the camper.
Everyone has different ways of doing things, doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Hmm interesting idea - let us know how they hold up - we get about a half dozen trips out of the blocks before they start showing splits from embedded gravel
Been using the same wooden pads since Feb08. Took them off our old camper and re-installed on the new 5er. Going to have to replace them eventually. Would like to replace with the composite material if I can find some wide enough.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Everyone has different ways of doing things, doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong.
Trueness...

Ideas are presented, and if liked, implemented. If not, big world out there.
Occasionally, another viewpoint may expose flaws in your idea and when that happens a solution along with the observation goes a long way to keep things friendly.

Like screwing a thin piece of waterproof plywood under the 12x12 to keep them from splitting.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Trueness...

Occasionally, another viewpoint may expose flaws in your idea and when that happens a solution along with the observation goes a long way to keep things friendly.

Like screwing a thin piece of waterproof plywood under the 12x12 to keep them from splitting.

I was just thinking that if the pads rusting on concrete was the issue, then rubber pads might be a better answer. But OC thought that idea was hijacking the thread.
I am also concerned about adding weight to the pads, as some have posted about losing them in stock form.
Sometimes ideas look great on paper, but just don't pan out in real life. Any engineer has been there, done that.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Trueness...

Or using 2 lengths of the composite material held together with a pc of scrap alum tread plate which I have and may use. Will use flat head ss screws to attach plate to pad.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

12x12 3/4" treated plywood?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote