Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Got mtn bike?

A shout out to all mtn bikers

Just curious as to who all are Forest River owners and mtn bikers.

Avid mtn biker here!
Mostly just trails and campgrounds from Mississippi to east Tennessee.
But I hope to expand my travels and trails with my new RockWood 2904SS

Our favorite trails and campgrounds to travel to are..
Raccoon Mtn
Chattanooga, TN

Raccoon Mountain Caverns and Campground

Oak Mountain State Park
Birmingham, Ala

OM campgrounds
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #2

Getting too old for much more than high desert fire roads and game trails. But I do enjoy a nice ride in the woods when I can.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
10Isola

PA

A little out of your way, but If you ever get to PA check these places out. They are two of the better trails I've been on. Both single track trails. Jim Thorpe, PA and Wissahicken Park in Philadelphia.
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Site Team

been mtn. biking seriously since 1987. have done some amateur races until the roadies' organization took over the mtn. bike races. no more Clydesdale classes but now have the friggin CAT system.
no way i can compete with a 150lbs. guy!

used to ride in SoCal but now live and ride in NorCal.

currently have a f/s K2 Razorback xc bike, a Giant VT-2 all mountain bike, a K2 4000 f/s buddy bike, a commuter bike and a road bike.
built the xc bike and the road bike myself with a little help from the bike shop in setting up the shifting.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #5

I have several Giant mtn bikes. Try Western NC, we have some Very good trails.....and camping

Oh, I am moving to Meridian soon.
mike047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #6

My two mtn bikes include a steel Ibis Mojo from the late 90s and an Ellsworth Truth (FS). One of the main reasons I move from IL to AZ was for the biking! Unfortunately I don't get out as much as I'd like to anymore (damn job!), but this part of the country has some pretty awesome riding opportunities. I know it's quite a trip from where you are, but AZ has free camping (boondocking) all over the state! And, our riding can be year round depending on where you go.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Isola View Post
A little out of your way, but If you ever get to PA check these places out. They are two of the better trails I've been on. Both single track trails. Jim Thorpe, PA and Wissahicken Park in Philadelphia.
Hey! I've actually been in the N.E. part of PA and upstate NY before.
The guys at Chenango Point System in Binghampton, NY let me barrow an extra mtn bike during my visit.
I made the mistake of going with a group of them on one of their weekly shop rides. Those guys kicked my butt climbing those mtns across the river from the bike store
Also rode at Shindagin outside Ithaca, NY and Oakly Corners State Forest.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
I have several Giant mtn bikes. Try Western NC, we have some Very good trails.....and camping

Oh, I am moving to Meridian soon.
Wow, small world!
My daughter lives in Wake Forest, just outside of Raleigh, NC.
I've been up there several times visiting, but haven't had enough time to check out any of the local bike trails.

Don't think you'll be without any bike trails moving to MS.
We've got some good trail systems through out the state.
Inside the city limits of Meridian are the Bonita Trails.
The Ridgeland Trails in N. Jackson, MS
Then the Noxubee Hills Trail System AKA "THE NOX" in Ackerman, MS
I've made a FB devoted to The Nox containing a wealth of trail info and pictures about The Nox.
Noxubee Hills Trail System | Facebook

Also the MSMTB Mtn Bike Forum has a lot of riding info.
msmtb.org • View forum - msmtb.org Forums

The main reason for my purchase of the RockWood 2904SSI is that I might be moving to NC later this spring.
My son has joined the ARMY and will be in Basic Training in SC, then at an Army Base near Norfolk,VA.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
been mtn. biking seriously since 1987. have done some amateur races until the roadies' organization took over the mtn. bike races. no more Clydesdale classes but now have the friggin CAT system.
no way i can compete with a 150lbs. guy!
I know what you mean about the CAT system.
I got out of XC racing just as the CAT system was starting.
My last XC race was back in 2008 after I placed 2nd on my home turff (The Nox) in the RockCrusher Classic. Beginners Classs 40+
Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201 View Post
My two mtn bikes include a steel Ibis Mojo from the late 90s and an Ellsworth Truth (FS). One of the main reasons I move from IL to AZ was for the biking! Unfortunately I don't get out as much as I'd like to anymore (damn job!), but this part of the country has some pretty awesome riding opportunities. I know it's quite a trip from where you are, but AZ has free camping (boondocking) all over the state! And, our riding can be year round depending on where you go.
I'm in hopes of moving to the AZ/NM area later in 2013 after my son finishes his Blackhawk helicopter mechanics in VA

The company I work for has bought another company near Tucson.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #11

For a real challenge, head out to the high mountains in Colorado. Those "hills" really seperate the men from the boys!
And most of the time, you will have the place all to your own, and the scenery is unmatched.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

No more technical mtn biking for this ol' guy, but still enjoy some of the easier single track and double track trails in the Blue Ridge, Massanutten, and Shenandoah mountains in western Virginia. I have a Trek single sprung bike.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Getting too old for much more than high desert fire roads and game trails. But I do enjoy a nice ride in the woods when I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
No more technical mtn biking for this ol' guy, but still enjoy some of the easier single track and double track trails in the Blue Ridge, Massanutten, and Shenandoah mountains in western Virginia. I have a Trek single sprung bike.
yea donn and mtnguy,
mountain biking does take a toll on one as they get older.
I'm fighting it for as long as I can.
But with my stupid work schedule, I can't get off long enough on the weekends to camp and mtn bike.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
currently have a f/s K2 Razorback xc bike, a Giant VT-2 all mountain bike, a K2 4000 f/s buddy bike, a commuter bike and a road bike.
built the xc bike and the road bike myself with a little help from the bike shop in setting up the shifting.
My main XC is a 19.5" Haro V4 Hartail, that I built up from the frame/fork.
I then have an extra 19" Trek 4500 Hardtail and an older 17.5" f/s Trek Fuel 70.
My son's bike is a 19" Specialized Rockhopper.
Then his 1/2 brother rides he's older 13" Trek 4300.
My daughter has my 1st mtn bike, a Trek 4300, then her husbands bike is a Trek 3700.

I'm old school and our mtn bikes are 8 speed with rim brakes.
I do the maintenance on all those bikes and the parts capability really helps in keeping in good riding condition.

Here is my 2006 Haro V4

here are a couple of my older ride reports that I posted on MTBR.com from some of our favorite area trails.
Raccoon Mtn Trails in Chattanooga, TN
Raccoon Mtn ride report with pics - Mountain Bike Review

Munny Sokol, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Munny Sokol ride report 2/16/08 - Mountain Bike Review
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #15

Hey Guys, I am a Specialized man myself. We sponsor with our cabins and chocolate business the SERC Series with Gone Riding and the Rocky Racoon, 12 Hours of Tsali, and a few of their XTera events. Last year on the 12 Hours of Tsali my nephew crashed on the first lap breaking his shoulder in 4 places. We went from 9th to18th and instead of our 4 person team we ran a 3 person team. We battled back to 10th place when it was all said and done. The 2 weeks later discovered a massive cyst in my right knee and battled physical therapy for months before having surgery in November. We hope to be back at the 12 Hours of Tsali come May. It really stinks being off the bike for 9 months. My cardio is in the tank but working on it. I plan on coming over to race the Rocky Racoon this year! I am not good enough yet to podium, just good enough to be a middle of the packer.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #16

I'm lucky enough to have LOTS of great single track within a few mins of my house though it seems I have too many hobbies as I don't get to ride nearly enough. Been riding a Kona Kula Deluxe for a few years now but looking forward to upgrading to a HeiHei 100 very soon. I put about 25 miles on one during a demo and was sold.

If ever around the Palouse and looking for a great ride check out this link: MAMBA - Moscow Area Mountain Bike Association
BioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
Got mtn bike?

SmokyRoo, that's cool!
I might be heading to Raccoon Mtn in March. 1st stopping by Cheaha State Park to check out the "Cheaha Exress" and then decide from there if we stay or go to RM.

Thanks for your sponsorships in those races.
I helping and sponsoring the 3rd Annual Skool Of Hard Nox 50 Endurance Race
The Skool of Hard Nox 50 mountain bike race | Facebook
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMan View Post
I'm lucky enough to have LOTS of great single track within a few mins of my house
If ever around the Palouse and looking for a great ride check out this link: MAMBA - Moscow Area Mountain Bike Association
Your lucky! For me the nearest mtb trails here are over an hour away
Found and "liked" the MAMBA FB Page.
I'll be sure and check them out if I ever get that far west

Tags
bike