Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 05:20 AM   #1

Advice on trip to Maine in July

Looking at planning a trip with our 5th wheel up to southern Maines coast in July. Have been recommended Red Apple Campground in Kennebunkport or I found Baileys near old orchard beach. Anyone have any personal experience with either. Looking for things to do in the area as well? How's traffic up this way? Is this area just another tourist trap in July?Route recommendations? I will be coming from southeast pa/Delaware area. Thanks
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #2

There is another thread with a similar subject. I don't know about Red Apple but we stayed at Baleys once and it was packed and a zoo. I guess they've opened up a new area since we've been so maybe it's better.

Old Orchard Beach is touristy and crowded. Still kind of fun - we ride our bikes in or take a shuttle in from the campground to avoid driving/parking.

Depending on how far up you are going, the coast gets prettier past Bath. Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is beautiful. We liked Megunticook Campground in Rockport.
tmhudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

I camp in Old Orchard Beach often and like to stay at Hid N' Pines campground as it is within walking distance to the beach and has a local supermarket close by (400 yards or so). They also have a new area with large easy to get into sites. The CG is quiet and does not offer activities every hour like some do. We go for the beach and the family atmosphere.

It is busy in July. But what N.E. Seaside town is not busy during the only two months a year that the beach is worth it?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

Do I dare try and go thru nyc with fiver?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Wait till next year...

I wouldn't drive through NYC with a car never mind an RV and especially avoid George Wash Bridge. Coming up thru Hartford isnt any picnic either .Lots of routes in the On the road forum. Your basically looking at 81 to 90(Mass Pike) to 495 to 95. You'll have plenty of company from Mass to Maine if your coming on the weekend.Nh and Maine toll booths can get really backed up on the weekend.
Despite all that south coast of Maine and NH have everything you could want. Shopping at Kittery and Freeport. LL Bean. Nubble Light. Two Lights. Portland Head light. Portland is a great little city. Take a boat ride thru the Calendar Islands. we been going up there for 60 years
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Wait till next year...

By the way get a Delorme Maine Atlas best way to find the back roads and avoid all the d*** tourists
Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
I wouldn't drive through NYC with a car never mind an RV and especially avoid George Wash Bridge. Coming up thru Hartford isnt any picnic either .Lots of routes in the On the road forum. Your basically looking at 81 to 90(Mass Pike) to 495 to 95. You'll have plenty of company from Mass to Maine if your coming on the weekend.Nh and Maine toll booths can get really backed up on the weekend.

Despite all that south coast of Maine and NH have everything you could want. Shopping at Kittery and Freeport. LL Bean. Nubble Light. Two Lights. Portland Head light. Portland is a great little city. Take a boat ride thru the Calendar Islands. we been going up there for 60 years

What would be a good day to check in/ checkout? The most direct route from home is just over 7 hours but that's through nyc. If I go the long way it'll add 2-3 hours easily. What about trying to scoot thru nyc in the middle of the night? Any good time that I could?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:03 AM   #8
Wait till next year...

I have friends that use theTappan Zee and avoid some of the NYC traffic.Can't say on going thru at night. Reason I stopped going thru NYC altogether was getting lost(pre_GPS) one night on my way to Gettysburg.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:29 AM   #9

X2 on the Tappan Zee bridge.

I would also suggest getting an EZPass for the toll roads and bridges.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:47 AM   #10

Ayup, NY EZE Pass. It's free and saves a lot of hassles. It's also good from Maine to Fla.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #11

Careful going through NYC specially with a 5er ..... Lotta low clearances
h4kintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Do I dare try and go thru nyc with fiver?
Don't you dare! We're originally from Maine (but haven't lived there since 1982 when I joined the Air Force) We try to visit at least every year.

One year, I thought I was smart by timing our trip so we had to drive through NYC (I-95) at 2 am. BAD idea! Guess what time they do the construction? Yep, the 6 lanes slowly turned into 1 lane and wasted a few hours getting through.

Now, we completely bypass all of that. (Coming from Colorado.) We take the northern route, near Chicago and Cleveland and upstate NY...we don't get back on I-95 until just west of Boston.

We've never RV camped in Maine but my brother-in-law has camped all over Maine in his so I'll ask him for some good spots for you. (Yes, southern Maine can have heavy tourist traffic and you need to stay on main roads because the older roads can be VERY narrow, especially in the older, small town.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote