Old 07-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Truly a sad reflection on today's youth.
It's not "today's kids". I'm not that old, but old enough that I'm a different generation than "today's youths". I remember being a teen and watching my friend huff lighter fluid out of a zip loc bag to the point that he thought it was a good idea to carve his girlfriend's name or initials into his leg with a razor blade - regardless of how much I told him it was a real bad idea.

Kids have always done stupid stuff... yes- even YOUR generation, dear reader.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
X2!!!
It's even a sadder reflection on the parents of those youth!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's not "today's kids". I'm not that old, but old enough that I'm a different generation than "today's youths". I remember being a teen and watching my friend huff lighter fluid out of a zip loc bag to the point that he thought it was a good idea to carve his girlfriend's name or initials into his leg with a razor blade - regardless of how much I told him it was a real bad idea.

Yikes! I am not sure what kind of kids you hung around with, but my friends wouldn't ever entertain anything so dumb.
In our local city, it is mostly the natives and other very poor that resort to such drastic efforts to numb their senses, what little sense they ever had. Very, very sad.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
NELA

Quote:

TRUE DAT!

When I was *very* young, back when old Shep was just a pup, boys would lie on the trunk of cars, open the gas tank lid and huff until they passed out and roll off the car.

Of course my kids' generation also huffed gold or silver paint...never understood why the metallic was preferred. I'll never say what my kids *never* did, but to my knowledge they never needed to escape reality in that manner. Of course ours never did the skate boarding in the streets thing either. We sacrificed greatly to get 'em out of town and raise 'em in the country.

Most hilarious memory with my youngest son was when he was learning to drive down on the back 40. He was looking back at his brother and rammed that little Datsun pickup past the windshield into the end of a wind row. More than once I had 'em walk back to the house and ask me to come pull that little truck out of mud ruts when they'd high centered it somewhere in the woods down by the lake.

Another time I saw the old Dodge Power Wagon bumping across the terraces on the south forty pasture with no one in it. It kept bumping along until it nosed down into a ravine. Soon the boys showed up, asking for help again. Seems there was a very agitated nest of red wasps under the dash. They bailed! When we pulled it out, that old Dodge didn't have a dent in it. Back then they were made solid!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #15

hooligans
Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm still surprised that you don't have to show ID for a can of whipped cream!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #17

Quote:
+1

It is every generation of kids.

We just hear more about it in the news today because what was once just a local story becomes a national story in 24 hour per day media.

We are far more aware of danger today than when we were young. As will be today's kids in a few years when they question the stupidity of youth, once theirs is lost.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My DW had a 1st cousin that choked to death from his own vomit from huffing gasoline. That was several years back, but the idiots probably still do it.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #19

I guess we were just too busy working to think of dumb things to do.
Not very many kids have that problem these days.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I'm still surprised that you don't have to show ID for a can of whipped cream!
Well the way things are going with all the emphasis on obesity today, perhaps one day everyone who purchases a can of whipped cream (or anything with a high calorie count) may have to step on a scale before they can buy it.