Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #81
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

Herk - I'm not that familiar with the C-130 and all their models and variants (too many for me), but the 3 aircraft named here, 74-1683, 74-1686 and 74-2065 seem to be older aircraft than the one that is in your User ID (7769). I don't know if 7769 is in contract number 1974, thus 74-7769.

Am I correct here?

P.S. Please note that the term "Tail Numbers" is only used in this P.S.and not in the main message due to one FRF members fascination with the term.
I'm sure he means well......
Wish I knew of whom you speak of...
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #82
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Back in my younger years, when I camped at race tracks, I was so hammered and walked into the wrong camper. I was wondering why my bed was occupied. Is that similar to landing at the wrong airport? Maybe the pilots were having a few?
I hope you did a fly by
Beings how you were in the wrong hanger
Could you read the tail number of said aircraft ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #83
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Herk - I'm not that familiar with the C-130 and all their models and variants (too many for me), but the 3 aircraft named here, 74-1683, 74-1686 and 74-2065 seem to be older aircraft than the one that is in your User ID (7769). I don't know if 7769 is in contract number 1974, thus 74-7769.

Am I correct here?

P.S. Please note that the term "Tail Numbers" is only used in this P.S.and not in the main message due to one FRF members fascination with the term.

The last 4 is the serial number. The ENTIRE tail number includes the manufacture year. 74-XXXX means the aircraft was made in 1974.

My last flight was in 63-7769 an E model made in 1963.

While I have flight time in A models, E Models, and several H model variants, the majority of my flight time is in E Models. My very first flight was in an E Model in 1974 and 31 years later, my last flight was in an E Model.
Lou
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #84
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The last 4 is the serial number. The ENTIRE tail number includes the manufacture year. 74-XXXX means the aircraft was made in 1974.

My last flight was in 63-7769 an E model made in 1963.

While I have flight time in A models, E Models, and several H model variants, the majority of my flight time is in E Models. My very first flight was in an E Model in 1974 and 31 years later, my last flight was in an E Model.
Lou
Thanks

BTW - not to argue here, but I believe the first digits in an U.S.military aircraft serial number refers to the FY that the contract for that aircraft was signed and not the year it was built.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #85
B47

Quote:
Thanks

BTW - not to argue here, but I believe the first digits in an U.S.military aircraft serial number refers to the FY that the contract for that aircraft was signed and not the year it was built.

I meant to say here "the first two digits ..."
Old 11-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #86
DDC

Would six miles in this case be considered a near miss.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #87
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Would six miles in this case be considered a near miss.
There is an official definition of a "near miss" in the FAA's Air Traffic Controllers handbook, but I don't know what it is.

I do know that all "near misses" are reported to the various FAA offices each morning.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #88
phat phrog stunt crew

could almost label this thread a near miss, because it almost talks about camping . please dont anybody mention healthcare, cause then it would run forever
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #89
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks

Tony always makes me think.
I needed to refresh my memory on how this worked.

I discovered the first two digits of the USAF Tail number is actually the Fiscal Year the particular aircraft was paid for (funded) and not when it was delivered (made) or the contract run was signed.

A multi-year contract can be signed, but each year's budget only funds the production authorized for that year. Thus a contract run can span more than on year. For example the 1961 Lockheed C-130E contract for 496 E Models spans tail numbers from 62-XXXX through 63-XXXX.

"Starting on July 1, 1921 (the beginning of FY 1922) a new serial number system was adopted based on procurement within each Fiscal Year. Each serial number now consisted of a base number corresponding to the last two digits of the FY in which money was allocated to manufacture the aircraft, and a sequence number indicating the sequential order in which the particular aircraft was ordered within that particular FY. For example, airplane 22-1 was the first aircraft ordered in FY 1922, 23-1 was the first example ordered in FY 1923, etc. This system is still in use today.

It is important to recognize that the serial number reflects the Fiscal Year in which the order for the aircraft is placed, NOT the year in which it is delivered. Nowadays, the difference between the time the order is placed and the time the aircraft is actually delivered can be as much as several years."
From: USASC-USAAS-USAAC-USAAF-USAF Aircraft Serial Numbers--1908 to Present

This only applies to Air Force Aircraft. Navy uses "Bureau Numbers" for example.

Learn something new every day...
Old 11-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #90
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
could almost label this thread a near miss, because it almost talks about camping . please dont anybody mention healthcare, cause then it would run forever
Well it is in the "Off Topic" area and (as far as I know) avoids the "crash landings" of guns, politics, and religion.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #91

During my early years in the Navy (circa ~1980's) a friend of mine told me about a story of an A-7 Corsair landing on the wrong carrier during Vietnam. I just googled it and found it with a picture and write up. US Navy A-7 Corsair II Units of the Vietnam War - Peter Mersky - Google Books

It is unfortunate for the crew of the Dreamlifter. Although I agree that this event has a high potential to happen anyday, it will interesting to hear how this event took place.

Youtube on occasion tries to show a C-17 that landed at the wrong ariport in Florida.
ezawacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #92
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Tony always makes me think.
I needed to refresh my memory on how this worked.

I discovered the first two digits of the USAF Tail number is actually the Fiscal Year the particular aircraft was paid for (funded) and not when it was delivered (made) or the contract run was signed.

A multi-year contract can be signed, but each year's budget only funds the production authorized for that year. Thus a contract run can span more than on year. For example the 1961 Lockheed C-130E contract for 496 E Models spans tail numbers from 62-XXXX through 63-XXXX.

"Starting on July 1, 1921 (the beginning of FY 1922) a new serial number system was adopted based on procurement within each Fiscal Year. Each serial number now consisted of a base number corresponding to the last two digits of the FY in which money was allocated to manufacture the aircraft, and a sequence number indicating the sequential order in which the particular aircraft was ordered within that particular FY. For example, airplane 22-1 was the first aircraft ordered in FY 1922, 23-1 was the first example ordered in FY 1923, etc. This system is still in use today.

It is important to recognize that the serial number reflects the Fiscal Year in which the order for the aircraft is placed, NOT the year in which it is delivered. Nowadays, the difference between the time the order is placed and the time the aircraft is actually delivered can be as much as several years."
From: USASC-USAAS-USAAC-USAAF-USAF Aircraft Serial Numbers--1908 to Present

This only applies to Air Force Aircraft. Navy uses "Bureau Numbers" for example.

Learn something new every day...
"Tony always makes me think" - I'll take that as a compliment.

Yes Joe Baugher is my Go To Guy for military aircraft information such as this. He may be the holder of the worlds "Man With Too Much Time On His Hands" title,but I like reading his articles.

Note that he uses the term "Serial Number (s)" somewhat more than "Tail Number (s)", but he does use them both interchangeably.

I got interested in this topic when I first noticed different Serial Numbers on different B47 bombers when I was in the Air Force. I did some research and found that the Air Force needed so many of the aircraft that Boeing contracted with two other manufacturers to meet the demand and those aircraft were numbered in an unique way - but that's another story.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #93
Site Team - Lou

Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #94
B47

I have said that landing at the wrong airport,either civil or military,has happened before, but it's seems like it's getting to be a habit.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #95

Quote:
I have said that landing at the wrong airport,either civil or military,has happened before, but it's seems like it's getting to be a habit.
I wonder if they get a tattoo to commemorate the event....
Old 11-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #96
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I wonder if they get a tattoo to commemorate the event....
A tattoo is going to be the least they get
Old 11-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #97
B47

I don't know what all the commotion is about - the C17 is made for short field landings and take offs (STOL) and this simply proves it.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #98

Landing on the wrong carrier or airport? How about landing on the enemy's carrier?

There was an instance in WWII of a pilot almost landing on one the enemy's carriers. The landing signal officer noticed that the pilot was responding to his signals incorrectly. The Japanese too-high and too-low signals were backwards from ours. The pilot figured it out, too, and made a quick departure.

Sorry but I can't remember if the pilot was American or Japanese. Any Navy history experts out there?
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #99
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Landing on the wrong carrier or airport? How about landing on the enemy's carrier?

There was an instance in WWII of a pilot almost landing on one the enemy's carriers. The landing signal officer noticed that the pilot was responding to his signals incorrectly. The Japanese too-high and too-low signals were backwards from ours. The pilot figured it out, too, and made a quick departure.

Sorry but I can't remember if the pilot was American or Japanese. Any Navy history experts out there?
I'm not a Navy expert (never could figure out their rank/insignia/titles), but I sure admire those carrier pilots for what they do in all kinds of weather.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #100
phat phrog stunt crew

I avoided the navy because I didn't want to be called a seaman. Or coxswain. Or bosons mate. Won't even talk about admirals.......
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote