Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
DDC

AIRCRAFT - Wrong airport

Click image for larger version

Name:	_71251776_019545131-1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	42891
A Boeing 747 Dreamlifter cargo plane may be stuck at a minor airport in Kansas for some time after it apparently landed there by mistake.

The giant cargo jet was heading for McConnell air force base in Wichita but instead touched down at nearby Colonel James Jabara airport.

Local media report that the jet may be too large to take off from Jabara's 1,860m (6,100ft) runway.

Boeing is sending a tug to the airport to turn the plane around, reports say.

The firm said in a statement it would release further details on Thursday morning, local time.

Boeing has a fleet of four Dreamlifters to transport assemblies for its 787 Dreamliners
It is not yet clear how the plane will leave Jabara airport.

Local news station KWCH reports that Boeing hopes to fly the Dreamlifter out of the small airport.

The cargo plane normally requires a runway of 2,780m (9,119ft) to take off at maximum weight, it says, and the tug dispatched to the airport to turn the jumbo around has broken down en route.

The Dreamlifter, which landed at Jabara on Wednesday evening, is a modified 747-400 passenger aeroplane, which can carry more cargo by volume than any aeroplane in the world, according to Boeing.

The aerospace company uses its fleet of four Dreamlifters to transport large assembled components of its 787 Dreamliner from suppliers around the world to the final assembly location in Washington state.

The City of Wichita tweeted that no one was injured and no property damage occurred when the plane landed.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Geeesh. In this day and age with all the electronic gadgetry aboard today's planes from Cessna 152's to Boeing's one would think the pilot in charge would at least land at the right airport. Hmmm...wonder if the tower made a phone call to the FAA to have the pilot do some explaining....
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #3

they had to have a reason to land their because something that size is always IFR approach and the approach plate states all the info they need to navigate and fly the approach including miss procedures. I will have to look at my charts at work tonight for that airport. dont think they are that stupid to not talk about the runway lengths and miss procedures. but all 3 crew members might of been knuckle heads

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
they had to have a reason to land their because something that size is always IFR approach and the approach plate states all the info they need to navigate and fly the approach including miss procedures. I will have to look at my charts at work tonight for that airport. dont think they are that stupid to not talk about the runway lengths and miss procedures. but all 3 crew members might of been knuckle heads
They missed the airport they were talking to and landed at one six miles away, I guess they were at least close in flying terms anyway.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
They missed the airport they were talking to and landed at one six miles away, I guess they were at least close in flying terms anyway.
but their approach freqs had to be tuned in and they always fly the localizer and glide slope form the approach plate to said airport. their DME had to be off by six miles which would of been a huge red flag in their heads. they could of used the other airports nav info for a approach to the airport but that would of been wrong. just too many things that had to transpire to land at a wrong airport with a plane that size. but it could happen I guess

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

I'm thinking no cargo and minimum fuel should be able to takeoff.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
DDC

BBC News - Jumbo jet mistakenly lands at tiny Kansas airport

This is where I was reading about it.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

From a pilot's perspective, this is easier to do than you think; ESPECIALLY since today's pilots are trained to "trust the computer" rather than their Mark One Eyeball.

In a two pilot aircraft, one pilot is supposed to enter the Airport Identifier is the Flight Director and the other is supposed to verify it. It just takes one mistake, not caught by the other pilot to result in this kind of mishap.

Some flight management software is so smart it can actually set up the preferred approach for the selected airport without any further pilot action.

It is further Murphied by the Navaid identifier for the final approach fix (FAF) at the "big" airport to be physically located at the "minor" airport. Inserting the FAF as the destination can result in the Distance Measuring Equipment (DME) readout being correct for the wrong airport of intended landing.

Many close airports have runways have similarly aligned runways due to the prevailing winds.

This happens way more than you might think. I remember during a low visibility night, an F-4 that landed at Ogden Muni (located right on final north of Hill AFB). Cleared to land at Hill (but not in sight), the pilot spotted Ogden's runway and "went for it". After touchdown, he popped his braking chute. The pilot or Nav saw all the general aviation aircraft on the lit ramp; did an "Oh S..."; punched off his drag chute; plugged in the afterburner and aborted the landing. On climb out he saw Hill, swooped around and landed safely at the base. Since Hill's tower was unaware of the "transgression," The pilot neglected to mention it.

Later at the Officer's club, the base commander and security tracked him down and placed his drag chute on the shocked pilot's table. Seems the Airport Manager picked up the drag chute laying in the grass by the side of his runway and drove it over to the base.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I'm thinking no cargo and minimum fuel should be able to takeoff.
They are reporting they might be able to.
This is a 747 Dreamlifter. It is HUGE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boeing_747-400LCF_Dreamlifter.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	42893  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

It is further Murphied by the Navaid identifier for the final approach fix (FAF) at the "big" airport to be physically located at the "minor" airport.
dont under stand how they missed the IAF`s (initial approach fixes) that is the most important setup , also they missed the DME at each fix on their approach and the min`s at each waypoint in the approach. guess they just winged it and flew a visual approach to what they saw in front of them. but at 6 miles away another runway would be lit up and and tower would have a visual on their decent to TD, trust me they have lots of lights and everyone would be on

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #11

I wonder if they will get reprimanded and how severely ... This is going to cost Boeing a lot of money ....

Maybe a good opportunity and a good reason to extend the runway Let Boeing pay for it
Old 11-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
From a pilot's perspective, this is easier to do than you think; ESPECIALLY since today's pilots are trained to "trust the computer" rather than their Mark One Eyeball.

In a two pilot aircraft, one pilot is supposed to enter the Airport Identifier is the Flight Director and the other is supposed to verify it. It just takes one mistake, not caught by the other pilot to result in this kind of mishap.

Some flight management software is so smart it can actually set up the preferred approach for the selected airport without any further pilot action.

It is further Murphied by the Navaid identifier for the final approach fix (FAF) at the "big" airport to be physically located at the "minor" airport. Inserting the FAF as the destination can result in the Distance Measuring Equipment (DME) readout being correct for the wrong airport of intended landing.

Many close airports have runways have similarly aligned runways due to the prevailing winds.

This happens way more than you might think. I remember during a low visibility night, an F-4 that landed at Ogden Muni (located right on final north of Hill AFB). Cleared to land at Hill (but not in sight), the pilot spotted Ogden's runway and "went for it". After touchdown, he popped his braking chute. The pilot or Nav saw all the general aviation aircraft on the lit ramp; did an "Oh S..."; punched off his drag chute; plugged in the afterburner and aborted the landing. On climb out he saw Hill, swooped around and landed safely at the base. Since Hill's tower was unaware of the "transgression," The pilot neglected to mention it.

Later at the Officer's club, the base commander and security tracked him down and placed his drag chute on the shocked pilot's table. Seems the Airport Manager picked up the drag chute laying in the grass by the side of his runway and drove it over to the base.
Sure, and no one noticed the chute pod cover open and asked, "hey, where's your chute"?.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
DDC

Quote:
They are reporting they might be able to.
This is a 747 Dreamlifter. It is HUGE.
I only fly radio control airplanes and always quiver at the 'might make it scenario', dropped a F14 because I run out of runway and tried it anyway, didn't work just short on speed.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
B47

This isn't the first time an airplane (large or small ) that has landed at the wrong airport.

Speaking of this, I was stationed at Plattsburgh AFB, a Stragetic Air Command (SAC) from 1963 to 1964. During that time, a couple of Canadian pilots landed at the base unintentionally. Plattsburgh AFB is located in upstate NY very close to the U.S. Canadian border.

SAC is very jealous of its runways,especially during the Cold War when nuclear weapons were loaded on B47 and B52 bombers just waiting for the word to takeoff.

These Canadian pilots were dealt with severely after landing. I witnessed one occurrence where the pilot was surrendered by Air Force security,taken to the ramp,handcuffed and taken off someplace.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Geeesh. In this day and age with all the electronic gadgetry aboard today's planes from Cessna 152's to Boeing's one would think the pilot in charge would at least land at the right airport. Hmmm...wonder if the tower made a phone call to the FAA to have the pilot do some explaining....
I would definitely bet that the flight crew will be getting a Letter Of Investigation from the FAA office that covers that airport.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Sure, and no one noticed the chute pod cover open and asked, "hey, where's your chute"?.
Good point and I would venture to say this pilot acted recklessly by not telling anyone that he left his chute at the airport. He probably had no idea where the chute finally settled down at - it could have landed on the runway,presenting a danger to pilots landing on that runway.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #17

But in his defense, most F4 pilots were pretty young and of the mind "Nobody saw it, can't prove a thing". Until later...
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
But in his defense, most F4 pilots were pretty young and of the mind "Nobody saw it, can't prove a thing". Until later...
Never been a F4 pilot,but that is a dangerous attitude for any pilot,military or civilian, to take IMO.

You leave a chute laying on a runway or close to it, another pilot unknowing it's there if at night time or even day time, lands and sucks the chute up if a jet or caught in a propeller and loses control - that's pretty stupid and reckless.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I would definitely bet that the flight crew will be getting a Letter Of Investigation from the FAA office that covers that airport.
unless they filled out NASA ARC 277 before they left the flight deck . or on touchdown. hope they sent it out with their smart phone

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #20
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
unless they filled out NASA ARC 277 before they left the flight deck . or on touchdown. hope they sent it out with their smart phone
You would have to bring that up - I hated that form.

Most flight crews carry a blank form in their flight bag - just in case