Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #1

amputation update

It's been 3 weeks now, and I am coming along OK, not as fast as I want, but I am getting used to crutches and the limiting factor with them is my strength, I try to walk every morning like I was, can only do about a half mile before my arms get too tired to go farther. But that will change with time. I am driving again, used my left foot for braking over the last 6 years, so not a big stretch to use it for the gas pedal also. So far, my wife has not let me go anywhere by myself. Not good enough yet to try the MH. She did let my drive her BMW Z4 yesterday, the pedals were a bit awkward and my foot got a bit tired. Biggest problem with the car is the crutches are almost longer than the cockpit. Still hoping to get to Florida this winter, but will have to listen to doctors and my wife, she is an RN who has worked in a lot of nursing homes and with Hospice, and has seen many people who did not listen and results not good. She takes really good care of me.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Richard, sounds like you are making great progress. Can't expect too much, too soon wiht just 3 weeks out from a major change in your life. Steady does it !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #3

One day at a time, one day at a time. I love your positive attitude and your will to go on. Kudos to ya!!!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #4

I do not know you, but would like to.
You are an inspiration for the rest of us.
Anything in life can be overcome and you the the role model for the rest of us.
May you both have great enjoyment and wonderful trips.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:17 AM   #5

Well, here it is, 6am, and I've been up for 3 hours. Just can't seem to grasp the concept of sleeping in. Or maybe because I go to doctor today to have the rest of the staples removed. Think of using a staple remover at the office.
jwedell- thanks for your kind comments. Maybe we will run into each other someday and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

(jwedell- thanks for your kind comments. Maybe we will run into each other someday and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.)

The pleasure will be all mine.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote