Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
I had a ham license (kg4gwc) but I forgot to renew
Well, I guess the question now is when are you planning to go and retest
Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon View Post
I had a ham license (kg4gwc) but I forgot to renew
Im not sure but isn't there a grace period to renew after a license has expired?
Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
Im not sure but isn't there a grace period to renew after a license has expired?
Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, there is a two year grace period from the date of the expiration. If you go outside of the two year window, the callsign is returned to the pool and the license is cancelled.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #64

I have been considering getting a technician license (the most basic one) and a handheld. I think it could be useful for emergencies in remote areas lacking in cell coverage. And in disaster situations. I can't see myself getting into chatting with folks or trying to build better gear for the fun and challenge of building gear. I am not a talker, and as far as the latter thing, I need another never-ending hobby like I need a hole in the head.

There certainly are some inexpensive Chinese units that have great user reviews on Amazon. BaoFeng? is the one I noticed. A person can get a good handheld for $30-50. Could I get 10-20 miles of range with simply a handheld? And then how hard would it be to carry and deploy a temporary antenna for longer range? And how much range? Again, I'm thinking about emergency RV use, not something permanent.

Thanks!
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #65

Don't think about getting a license. Go for it.
There are several good online sites to help you learn the ins and outs and
several good books.
And it's better since FCC dropped the morse code requirement.
As for the radio, Iv got both Baofeng and Wouxun that I carry with me.
Range would depend on the area your in but ten miles should be no problem.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #66
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbrew View Post
Yes, there is a two year grace period from the date of the expiration. If you go outside of the two year window, the callsign is returned to the pool and the license is cancelled.
Correct - goggle 47 CFR 97.21(b).
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
There certainly are some inexpensive Chinese units that have great user reviews on Amazon. BaoFeng? is the one I noticed. A person can get a good handheld for $30-50. Could I get 10-20 miles of range with simply a handheld? And then how hard would it be to carry and deploy a temporary antenna for longer range? And how much range? Again, I'm thinking about emergency RV use, not something permanent.

Thanks!
The inexpensive Chinese radios are great. Many people that I know have them and use them all of the time. As far as range goes, that one is a tough one to answer since so many variables go into how far a signal will travel. If you are on the top of a mountain or a very high ridge where your line of sight is not obstructed and you are connected to an external antenna (not the included rubber duck), you will get much greater coverage than if you are in hilly terrain using the rubber duck antenna.

Most Hams use their HT's (or handhelds) to hit local repeaters since repeater coverage, especially on 2 meters is very good. This, in essence, will kick your signal out to the range of the repeater and there are usually people monitoring repeater frequencies. Keep in mind though that with a handheld, it is much easier to wander into a remote area where the 5 watts won't be enough to hit a local repeater.

I usually always carry an HT when I am out, but I also have a mobile radio in the truck that packs 55 watts on high power for those times when the HT just cant cut it. As far as the 10-20 miles goes for the handheld, as long as you can hit hit a repeater, you can count on that range, however, by itself, you are limited to the terrain, antenna, etc. and while in the best of conditions you might be able to squeeze that out, in realistic conditions, I would not count on anything over 5 miles...maybe less depending on conditions. There are ways to boost your power with a handheld and you can help by connecting it to an external antenna mounted on your vehicle (when mobile) but it really all comes down to what you are looking for. Sorry for the book, but I hope this helped

Oh, yeah, as said up above...no need to think about it, just do it!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
And then how hard would it be to carry and deploy a temporary antenna for longer range? And how much range? Again, I'm thinking about emergency RV use, not something permanent.

Thanks!
Sorry, missed this part, but short answer is very easy. A mag mount antenna for the RV can be placed on top with a run of coax coming in to connect to your handheld. When done, disconnect the radio and take down the mag mount and store it away. This will defiantly boost range, but again, it varies depending on so many variables that it is tough to give a solid number. Other types of mounts can be used as well for other placements of the antenna.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #69

I noticed it expired 3yrs after the experation date
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #70

Oh no. That's ok though. You should be able to pass the test again with minimal study, and there are plenty of online study guides and practice tests. You can also find testing sessions just about anywhere. You can go to Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area to find one near you. Hope to hear you on the radio soon!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

All depends on where you're at. Many years back I was going to let mine lapse, but then Industry Canada removed the need to renew them, so I'm still technically licensed, though I haven't been on the radio in nearly 20 years.

This thread brings back memories. I should pull the radio out of storage, clean out the dust and see if they still work.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #72
Cyber Phrenologist

Wow, this thread has been going along for awhile!

Been a ham operator since 1982 or so. When we were looking at campers we knew the floor plan had to have plenty of room for ham radio, and we found this type plan was great, the ones with the big picture window on the curb side.

The trailer is modified only so that cables can pass through the floor without making an ugly mess. I made the table just for radio ops. Mainly we do field day ops and island hopping with the trailer, though sometimes we just set up in a state park and hang up a wire.

Note the frog in the photo. No it's not a F.R.O.G. frog. Sweet Wife is a music teacher, including strings; The part of the bow you hold on to is called the "frog" so they abound in the house and trailer, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio table.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	44896  

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #73

I found a program (HamSphere ) for the comp and smart phones that I use as my ham radio. Don't need the license for it but the majority of people on it have there ham license.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #74

Ve3plo here, 25' hex beam at home, ft2000 dmu, mobile ft857+ATAS, ft2900, vx3
Go to qrz.com and typein my call sign to see my antenna!!!

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #75

Kuba, widze Pan jest Polakiem i wetkarzem, bravo! Po angielsku teraz, those are your home antennas, what do you use when on the road with your camper? Although I am licensed many years, I don't often bring the rig on my trips. Antennas are the limiting factor.

Folks, please excuse the greeting in Polish, we will keep it in English!
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #76

New here KG7JCA, DW and I both got our tickets in March. We have matching Yaesu FT60R dual band radios. So far have joined the local club and helped with radios on a bike ride. I will be helping at a marathon on Sunday.

I use a mag mount on the truck but am still contemplating what to do on the Georgetown since the plastic roof doesn't make a very good ground plane.

Tommorrow, I am visiting the EOC for the Oso slide to see if I can help out there.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
Kuba, widze Pan jest Polakiem i wetkarzem, bravo! Po angielsku teraz, those are your home antennas, what do you use when on the road with your camper? Although I am licensed many years, I don't often bring the rig on my trips. Antennas are the limiting factor.

Folks, please excuse the greeting in Polish, we will keep it in English!
KQ2N, i usually bring my Yaesu FT-857 with my Yaesu ATAS antenna. Its a screwdriver type antenna for HF, has a motor and a big coil and extends based on the frequency selected on the radio. Covers all upper bands all the way to 40m. I rarelly use 2m or 70cm.
I also like digital modes JT65 most of the time. 2-5 watts will get you around the world need a laptop though
Old 05-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #78

KE4NOB here. Usually launch a light rope over a limb near the campfire and pull up a j-pole for 2m operation. Was inactive for years, but the new camping hobby has rekindled my interest. Fun stuff indeed.
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #79
Who Dares, Wins

Kb3cla here... not been active for years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #80

Yeahh, im semi active. Back in the day people used to chat. These days half of hams are goofs that just go to the store buy an AMP with 1+KW and pollute asking for reports on the other side of the globe not paying attention to qrp signals and other methods. These days its about money/more expensive equipment and not having fun.
Sad.