Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 AM   #21
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
News letter from pass port America. Some idiot Later RJD
Bryce Canyon: The $10 lifetime senior pass needs to end
Yet, this and other youngsters will also want "free" college and "free" healthcare! Such hypocrites.

2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:21 AM   #22
(Dry Huunday)
She mentions her husbands cousin not being able to afford to go, so it isn't fair......typical Millennial thinking of "you have something and I don't so it needs to change"

and for the record I still have to pay full discount yet

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:50 AM   #23
The ME ME ME society, you have to love how the figures get swayed to suit the purpose, how many seniors never use it does every senior go every year and do they use it several times in a year. This is the same criteria used to raise the retirement age in several countries, the death rate is never mentioned either, we die off faster than all other segments of society but to look at this would not fit the desired outcome,, I ramble.....
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
As of not yet retirement age, but approaching, I see no problem with doing away with lifetime memberships for those who haven't served. An annual charge of $10 for retired persons is not out of the question and surely isn't something to get bent about. I've visited parks, paid the fee, and contributed to the local/national clubs/groups/foundations. I use the parks and I hope they continue so my children's children can use them. Anyone who is retired and has the $10 lifetime pass is only paying about $.50 a year (according to article life span) to visit our nations parks. If I couldn't afford a $10 yearly, I should be staying home. As for families, the national park service offers a program for 4th graders which allows them and their family free admittance to the parks for the year. Today's millennials are merely yesterday's long haired, rock-n-roll music loving hippies that were surely going to ruin the nation 40-50 yrs ago.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #25
Head Rambler
I figure over the last fifty years of going to the national parks and other government places that charge a fee, I've paid my share of fees, I've probably well exceeded the $1600 that the writer says it would cost her. So this year when the day comes, I'll be getting my pass.

She never took into account the fees we older people have been paying all along. We didn't just wake up at 62 and decide to start visiting places because it's now $10.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #26
What a T***Y baby!

One thing that pass gets you that isn't even mentioned.........with that pass, you can get a Corps of Engineers annual boat launching pass for $15.00 instead of the regular $30.00. Very good deal, as we have about a billion COE boat launching ramps within 400 miles of here. I think I've used 83.57% of 'em!

But I tell ya what.......I'd be all for removing this benefit. But in return I want ALL FREE STUFF ended, period. Everyone pays their own way on everthing, no exceptions. How'd that suit ya, there Writer???
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #27
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
While i agree with the statement about quantity, I will disagree that the quality has improved. Its well documented that the National Parks are in dire need of additional funding. I am sure this is a very unpopular statement, but the author is right.

It would actually make more sense for the NPS to create a Family pass that any family with a kid under 18 gets in until the kids turns 18 for $10. I have worked for almost 30 years and expect to work another 20. I don't believe that entitles me to have free visits to the National Parks.

BTW, a standard 1 year pass is 80 for all parks. Lets face it, if we can't afford that a year, we really can't afford the gas to get to camp either

X200 ~~ I prefer to pay my way and not sound like those that want free college and everything else. If we cannot afford an ANNUAL fee of at least $10 we should be home in our rocking chair (I'm going to have to buy one of those chairs one day).
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #28
Several have said if u can't afford it then stay at home BS. There are those of us that scrimp n save n pass on other thing so we can see this wonderful country we have read and heard about so any little thing helps. We have paid our dues one way or the other and sometime it sounds like if we can't work anymore then just throw us away, again BS. Those that want this done away with I guess are more wealthy than others. GOOD for you, but The rest of us do the best we can so we can travel n see this wonderful country. I am in now way trying to put or bash anyone down but they seem to be doing a good job doing to us
Rangerdrvr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #29
Perhaps the list of things that need to be done in the national parks his salon because the national parks have added so many new trails and, most important late, new camping facilities, showers, toilets, water hook ups... List just goes on and on. Having camped in a few national parks during the 1960s I can attest to the fact that the quality of the parks in terms of camping facilities and hiking trails is far superior nowadays to what existed in the 1960s; therefore I stand by my statement that the quality of the parks is better now and I attribute dad in large part to the lobbying efforts of the baby boom generation. We have earned the right for free entry into the national parks and I am unashamed of taking advantage of that wonderful opportunity. Just because it is free to us does not make us free loaders for taking advantage of it anymore than for example The attendees at the frog rally are free loaders for taking advantage of the free service calls afforded by that wonderful rally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 F350 Lariat Crewcab DPS SWD 4x4
2013 Sabre BKOK 31
Demco Hijacker Autoslid
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #30
Sorry for the misspellings and typos...sent before I could correct autocorrect!😖

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 F350 Lariat Crewcab DPS SWD 4x4
2013 Sabre BKOK 31
Demco Hijacker Autoslid
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote