Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #1

Are st tires on a 5th wheel better than Lt tires

Replacing brand new tires & wheels on my new Crusader going up from 15" to 16"(need to get more height in rear,will get 2 ")But my question is will I be better putting on ST tires or LT tires? Also if anyone out there needs a new set of 225/75R/15(Towmax) with alum. rims mine are for sale about 200 miles on them.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2006 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax LBZ
ch6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd stick with st tires imo

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Always Learning

This is one of those coke vs. pepsi debates.

The pro-ST side says ST tires because they're designed for the sheering forces of backing and turning the trailer on multi-axle trailers. They're special trailer tires and should be used for such. Their claim is that LT tires aren't designed for trailers and shouldn't be used for it.

The pro-LT side says LT tires are a better made/heavier tire and that ST tires are problematic. They give examples that some higher end/heavier campers use LT tires from the factory.

It's a debate that rages on and on and on...

--

For what its worth, ST tires for me.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #4

When one of the 15" china bombs let go on my Cherokee and took out the side along with the sewer pipes I replaced all of the tires and rims with 16" Michelen load range E -LT -XPS- RIBS

When Kenda Tire Co. recalled the tires on my Cardinal I also replaced them with XPS Ribs.

For what it's worth.
My 2013 Cedar Creek came with Good Year LT load range G tires.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

The pro-ST side says ST tires because they're designed for the sheering forces of backing and turning the trailer on multi-axle trailers.
since I only push it backwards when it gets put on my driveway or on a campsite, LT`s are for me because it is always going Forward for lots of miles

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Great question...IMO, like the benefits of ST tires as they are designed for the side forces placed on them by trailer maneuvering and can withstand the heavy weights of a camper when parked for months at a time.
Most LT tires are used on vehicles weighing under 8K lbs and constantly moving vs heavier rv's that spend a lot of stationary time holding up that weight.

Again, both are used...your pick on what team you want to play on! ,)

Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

I'm going to LT's on everything.
I keep loosing "gator backs" off of ST tires or having knots show up, with broke bands (and I've had both happen when trailers were stationary). Lost 3 within the past 10 months on 2 different trailers while stationary, and some were less than 2 years old (and yes I check the dot date).
So when my STs go on given trailers, there getting replaced with LTs if they are available.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #8

I just got a 3 axle 23ft trailer 7k per, and my father inlaw who used it all summer hauling tires (18k) always put LT`s on it and he ran them since 99 and never had 1 single problem with the tires hauling all over MI and Ohio

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #9

Ill have to admit the camper I traded on the crusader was a 2011 keystone Alpine 12,400 dry weight.39Ft. It had towmax tires on it & never had any problems with em.Only had it for 3 years tho.
ch6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch6989 View Post
Ill have to admit the camper I traded on the crusader was a 2011 keystone Alpine 12,400 dry weight.39Ft. It had towmax tires on it & never had any problems with em.Only had it for 3 years tho.
I've been eyeing those Tow max tires on the web...appear to be a good ST tire.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

ST tires only for my 5th wheel as well. LT tires are designed from scratch for near continuous use. ST tires are designed for sitting for long periods; then put in high speed high stress use immediately.

Here is what Trailer Life has to say.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRAILER LIFE - LT vs ST Magazine Article.pdf (1.91 MB, 76 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

The pro-ST side says ST tires because they're designed for the sheering forces of backing and turning the trailer on multi-axle trailers. They're special trailer tires and should be used for such. Their claim is that LT tires aren't designed for trailers and shouldn't be used for it.

The pro-LT side says LT tires are a better made/heavier tire and that ST tires are problematic. They give examples that some higher end/heavier campers use LT tires from the factory.

It's a debate that rages on and on and on...

--

For what its worth, ST tires for me.
I agree, but will add that many off-road designed popup trailers come with LT tires. From my experience, ST tires do not hold up to sharp rocks; whereas, AT/MT tires designed for off-road use do hold up.

If I was only highway, I would probably go with Goodyear Marathons, but since I do pull my trailer down some serious type roads; I went with non ST Tires.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I agree, but will add that many off-road designed popup trailers come with LT tires. From my experience, ST tires do not hold up to sharp rocks; whereas, AT/MT tires designed for off-road use do hold up.

If I was only highway, I would probably go with Goodyear Marathons, but since I do pull my trailer down some serious type roads; I went with non ST Tires.
Valid point. Not all situations are the same.
Great photo BTW.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
Always Learning

I think you have a typo and missed a part here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
If I was only highway, I would probably go with Goodyear Marathons, but since I do pull my trailer down some serious type NON-roads; I went with non ST Tires.

Way cool.

Tags
5th wheel, tire, tires, wheel