Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #41

My wife and have been struggling financially...long story. Both of us had some intermediate health issues last year, but WE are good in our relationship.

My brother hasn’t any money troubles, but family issues. He has called a couple times to talk.

My buddy has relationship troubles and talks often of pending failure. He is not hurting for monies.

Now. Who is worse off in these cases?

Money can make the misery easier. Can’t it?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Just a little pleading from one of the site team...

We see threads that start off like this one going off the rails pretty frequently. Everyone has their own horror story or beef about something.
My story is worse than your story or example threads just too often take
on a life of their own as the rhetoric and bad memories fuel the fire.
I'm not sure what this thread hopes to accomplish but we ask you to
keep it civil and away from the usual government bashing or really any bashing at all.

Have a great day and I for one hope you don't hear any words you "hate to hear".

Happy Trails!
I must be an oddball. Every one of my stories involves me screwing up something causing a needed repair or just normal maintenance.

Except for that one tire blowout.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #43

Lightbulb

How about "pull(ed) the trigger on ____"?

Example: "I got the stealership down to a good price point out the door, so I pulled the trigger."

Was going to just add this to my post from yesterday but had to use the "Ghedit" function.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Yeah.....you’re “prolly” right about some of these words and phrases.

Another one is “they aks me what I tot”

Seems the English language has taken a major hit lately, and now that everyone insists on texting/facebooking/twittering and whatever...

We SEE how poorly people are equipped to know when to use to, too, or two.

Arrrrrrrgh!
Also:
there/their
Axle/Axel
brake/break
better then

Happy New Year
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
Is that still around? Wow, I thought I left that thing back at the birth of MS Word.
Oh, no, not at all. WP is still alive and very healthy indeed. It was the first word processor I learned (on a first generation PC), and I sill love it. I was forced to use MS word at work but I keep my WordPerfect up to date and use it first and every time. When I have to send to others, I send as a PDF. If it is a document they'll need to work with, I do a cut from WP with a paste to MS.

Although MS has the greatest share of the market, I'm loyal to my first love.

Cheers

Old 01-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
Definitely, and still does things far more easily and completely, and that does not even count the math related stuff that serious geeks like to do.

I am not great with typing and formatting, but I started using WP back in the MS-DOS (and PC-DOS) days, then went to OS/2, followed by the various versions of Windows. My wife used it all the time in her work at Cornell, and she showed me the basics of it. I soon found myself using WP because if I got stumped on how to do something with it, she was no farther away than a phone call.

Wooo Hoooo!!!!

Let's hear from all you WP users! We walk among you.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #47

what's funny is that when some people are saying that - and offer their own story for richer or poorer for better or worse.... I don't always think that they are attempting to "1 up" the previous poster or the OP.
in many cases I read the stories as being a "we here you" or we've been there and survived it" where some OP's seem to feel so traumatized about their event - like its never happened to anyone else prior to that persons owning a Trailer or 5th wheel and a Chev, Dodge or Ford pulling it.

along with the "you go off lucky" stories sometimes goes a solution that I or you may not have thought of.
Just my take on these sort of entries.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
Also:
there/their
Axle/Axel
brake/break
better then

Happy New Year
X2...

the axel one gets me..... and the Cummings.... some of the people actually have one and call it that.

Confession... the to/too can sometimes confuse me. I before E bla bla I never get that right...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #49

Then there are the "I need to put a period after each word" types... apparently wanting what they post to resemble one of those bogus spam e-mails.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
Then there are the "I need to put a period after each word" types... apparently wanting what they post to resemble one of those bogus spam e-mails.
EVERY FRIGGIN TIME I TYPE A TEXT MESSAGE I GET A PERIOD AFTER EACH WORD... DRIVES ME NUTS.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #51
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
That's right up there with "I could care less."
Oh, my laud, yes. If they just stopped for a second (probably their entire attention span) and thought about what it is they are saying, they might just, and I say might, realise that "I could care less' means yes, they could care less, which is probably not their intention. I still am mystified how they can confuse this. But then again, I could NOT care less. Actually I could.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #52
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I must be an oddball. Every one of my stories involves me screwing up something causing a needed repair or just normal maintenance.

Except for that one tire blowout.
Hey, that's my story, lay off.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #53
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Oh, no, not at all. WP is still alive and very healthy indeed. It was the first word processor I learned (on a first generation PC), and I sill love it. I was forced to use MS word at work but I keep my WordPerfect up to date and use it first and every time. When I have to send to others, I send as a PDF. If it is a document they'll need to work with, I do a cut from WP with a paste to MS.

Although MS has the greatest share of the market, I'm loyal to my first love.

Cheers

So, you still embed the various codes for paragraphs, new line and page changes, bold and italic text, etc?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #54
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Wooo Hoooo!!!!

Let's hear from all you WP users! We walk among you.

Oh dear, what have we done.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #55
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
what's funny is that when some people are saying that - and offer their own story for richer or poorer for better or worse.... I don't always think that they are attempting to "1 up" the previous poster or the OP.
in many cases I read the stories as being a "we here you" or we've been there and survived it" where some OP's seem to feel so traumatized about their event - like its never happened to anyone else prior to that persons owning a Trailer or 5th wheel and a Chev, Dodge or Ford pulling it.

along with the "you go off lucky" stories sometimes goes a solution that I or you may not have thought of.
Just my take on these sort of entries.
Hear, here.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:18 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
As long as they say, "Could have been worse," or "Could've been worse," I'm OK with it. It's when they say, "Could of been worse," that I throw up in my mouth a bit.
Could've been worse or could of been worse? Can't tell the difference myself.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:58 AM   #57
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Could've been worse or could of been worse? Can't tell the difference myself.
I know you are joking, but I have to be certain. So, putting my teacher's hat on (which is ridiculous because I neither wear hats nor am I a teacher, per se').

When you look at the truncation (there's that word again), 'could've', you will see the last two (to/too) letters are v & e. So by natural extrapolation (that's not too/to/two big a word I hope), it is easy to see how you can arrive at "COULD HAVE". Geeeeeeezzz-us, have mercy on me.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
I know you are joking, but I have to be certain. So, putting my teacher's hat on (which is ridiculous because I neither wear hats nor am I a teacher, per se').

When you look at the truncation (there's that word again), 'could've', you will see the last two (to/too) letters are v & e. So by natural extrapolation (that's not too/to/two big a word I hope), it is easy to see how you can arrive at "COULD HAVE". Geeeeeeezzz-us, have mercy on me.
Nope, not kidding. Maybe I just don't understand. Could've been worse. Could of been worse. I pronounce both exactly the same. What am I missing?!? (I think "could of been worse"- maybe that's not proper English; is that it?)
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:33 AM   #59

As far as proper English goes. Neither of theme are correct. Proper English is it, "could have be worse".

I think it all comes down to pure lazyness. People are in such a rush these days, that they try to abbreviate words and phrases that should not be. For instance " could've", you have to hit 8 keys. To use "could have" you hit 10 keys.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #60

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Education in speech

I can not believe this thread, it proves there are really bored people contributing to the thread with the PC speech!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire