Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Arghhh, Selling RV & Dumb Questions...Venting

Ok, I need a place to vent. Has anybody else noticed just how dumbed down society has become?

Please share your memorable experiences in selling an RV or another product.

My fifth wheel has a ton of storage in it and I was pointing it out to a couple. The couple didn't understand why that was important and asked me what I did with all of that storage. They wanted to know what I put in each shelf, each draw, each cabinet. They also didn't understand why I would want to bring a small toolbox with me after I explained I keep spare tools and common parts such as bulbs, spare showerhose, spare showerhead, duct tape, eternabond tape, etc.. in the space under the dinette.

Another couple didn't understand why I would need any electricity while camping after I explained my solar system to them. They didn't know why in the world I would have an inverter for 120v AC power, why anyone would need 120v ac power while camping, and why even bother with solar or generator. I really don't think they understand where power comes from when they turn the light switch on...it just happens.

Another couple scoffed when I told them that the fridge runs on propane and a small amount of 12volt power. I guess the fridge runs on pixie dust.

Another person: 1300 lb cargo carrying capacity rating on his 1/4 ton truck. With 600 lbs batteries in the front, my pin weight is over 1,300 lbs.....but the dealer told him he could tow up to 10,500 lbs-my camper weighs 8200 lbs empty.

Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #2

When we bought our trailer there were a lot of things I did not know about RVs but not as knowledge deficient as those people. Send them to Camping World for their first trailer.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

Let's see, how do I keep this within the forum rules. Yes society has become very dumbed down. Everything just works. Internet, cable TV and even water and flush toilets. More and more Americans have no idea how all of this works and don't appreciate the thousands of people who spend their days and lives making these things work. They not only think that it is magic, they think that everyone is entitled to all of it. (a little close there.)

One definition of self reliance is to put your family in a box and go into the woods and supply and be responsible for everything that they want or need. Boondocking and the planning that it takes is a real litmus test for independence.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #4

One great advantage of having been a Cub and Boy Scout.

In another 15 years if you give someone a car key for a pre-button car they will probably wonder what it's for.

Quicker, faster, dumber.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The couple I sold my tt to.... first I tried to tell them the camper was marginal for their limits (5700 lb dry, 7700 lb gvwr) towing with a 1/2 Suv (maybe expedition?? Can't remember) no towing package. They didn't understand why I wouldn't let it leave until they installed a brake controller. He said the trailer has brakes. The truck has brakes. You push the brakes on the truck the trailer stops. Period. You don't need a controller for this. After practically beating g him over the head with how this works and what he needs, he ran to cw, bought one and plugged it in. He left it sitting in the center console not mounted. I finally gave up. I wonder how they are doing now.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Sold my '08 Roo 23SS to a family who lives probably 125 miles away. I asked if they were going to pick it up or wanted me to bring it to them. I got the,"I have a pick up with a bumper hitch. We'll come get it." Ah... no you won't. So I delivered it to them and then explained why they needed a WDH.
Hope they have enjoyed it and have actually learned something.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #7

WDH's is something that most learn about from someone else. I didn't know a lot about camping and RV's when I first got one but I did know the need of finding a source of power to power it.

If you have never seen the movie Idiocracy, you should as it is coming true!

Saw a beggar the other day.The beggar, an old woman, was sitting on the sidewalk with a ruined bike leaning on the wall behind her. It was what she said that told the tale:
“I got a bachelors in art history, an M.A in modern culture and a Ph.D. in Cubism. One day on the way to my house, my bike got a flat tire. I have no idea how to fix it … It’s been two years now …”

The handyman business has exploded in our City. I've got neighbors who need to hire someone to change the toilet paper roll for them. 99% of them use electric weedwackers and electric mowers because gas motors confound them. Most don't even know what a 710 cap is on their engine!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
WDH's is something that most learn about from someone else. I didn't know a lot about camping and RV's when I first got one but I did know the need of finding a source of power to power it.

Saw a beggar the other day.The beggar, an old woman, was sitting on the sidewalk with a ruined bike leaning on the wall behind her. It was what she said that told the tale:
“I got a bachelors in art history, an M.A in modern culture and a Ph.D. in Cubism. One day on the way to my house, my bike got a flat tire. I have no idea how to fix it … It’s been two years now …”

The handyman business has exploded in our City. I've got neighbors who need to hire someone to change the toilet paper roll for them. 99% of them use electric weedwackers and electric mowers because gas motors confound them. Most don't even know what a 710 cap is on their engine!

I I included the wdh and all cables, revelers, chocks, hoses etc in the deal. I also helped them adjust the wdh and gave a very thorough pdi. I have answered questions after the sale about winterizing etc. I feel good because I educated them.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #9

When I bought my 5er I had never towed a goose neck or anything that large(yes I was aware to use common sense). It already had a GN adapter on the trailer. Point of the story is...I hooked up the wires and never checked the bed clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #10

Guess I suffer from a warped life. Have been a mechanic (cars, trucks, boats), quasi plumber-electrician-carpenter-etc., computer tech, engineer.
I always try to remember "everyone starts somewhere," but sometimes......
I can't help but wonder "Who ties your shoes in the morning?"
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #11

Quote:
So true! I was recently telling a coworker how handyman/tradesmen are disappearing. (I'm a mechanic.) Soon a plumber will be charging $300 to change the flapper on your toilet.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
Site Team

With all the info and videos on the Internet, there is no excuse for such stupidity but they will try to find some excuse.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #13

A little off topic. My mother recalls an interview about our drought in CA. A girl was asked about the water going to our farmers. Her answer was they didn't need any. You just have to go to the store for what you need.
CathyFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:37 AM   #14

The USA has been getting dumbed down for years now. It's done for "equality" or something.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:47 AM   #15

I went through these headaches too. Finally sold my 2000 Camplite Popup yesterday. It was the 7th person I'd shown it to.

Its a $1800 17 year old popup camper! Its not perfect. It has some wear and tear. Its in good shape, we just took it on a 2000 mile trip 6 weeks ago, but it needs some love.

Kept having people come out and look at it and then say stuff like...

"Well, I have six kids and I don't know where they would all sleep..." (really, you didn't look at the pictures first?)

"I'm kind of a perfectionist, so an older camper won't work for me." (This was a friend of my cousin who BEGGED me to cancel on another buyer so they could come get it. Guaranteed me they would be showing up cash in hand and absolutely loved the pictures of it.)

"This looks like an awful lot of work to setup." (Its a popup, what the hell did you expect?)

I finally just started reading people the riot act on the phone and explaining I was sick of setting it up, and to please not waste my time unless they were serious. Finally had a guy that was like "yep, I get it, Still want it." He showed up, we set it up, and he handed me an envelope of cash.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Ok, I need a place to vent. Has anybody else noticed just how dumbed down society has become?

Please share your memorable experiences in selling an RV or another product.

My fifth wheel has a ton of storage in it and I was pointing it out to a couple. The couple didn't understand why that was important and asked me what I did with all of that storage. They wanted to know what I put in each shelf, each draw, each cabinet. They also didn't understand why I would want to bring a small toolbox with me after I explained I keep spare tools and common parts such as bulbs, spare showerhose, spare showerhead, duct tape, eternabond tape, etc.. in the space under the dinette.

Another couple didn't understand why I would need any electricity while camping after I explained my solar system to them. They didn't know why in the world I would have an inverter for 120v AC power, why anyone would need 120v ac power while camping, and why even bother with solar or generator. I really don't think they understand where power comes from when they turn the light switch on...it just happens.

Another couple scoffed when I told them that the fridge runs on propane and a small amount of 12volt power. I guess the fridge runs on pixie dust.

Another person: 1300 lb cargo carrying capacity rating on his 1/4 ton truck. With 600 lbs batteries in the front, my pin weight is over 1,300 lbs.....but the dealer told him he could tow up to 10,500 lbs-my camper weighs 8200 lbs empty.

I used to talk on popupportal.com and the number of first time campers that would buy a new popup and then after their first trip get on the forum and ask "Why wouldn't my air conditioning work on battery power?" was absolutely amazing. At least once a week or more.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #17

This thread reminds me that I am now part of the older, more intolerant generation. I remember my grandparents saying the exact same things about the younger, dumber generation. They were convinced we would never make it without somebody holding our hand. But here we are!!!! Now it's our turn to shake our heads and say the world is dumbing down when in truth it might just be racing too far ahead for us to want to keep with😁
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This thread reminds me that I am now part of the older, more intolerant generation. I remember my grandparents saying the exact same things about the younger, dumber generation. They were convinced we would never make it without somebody holding our hand. But here we are!!!! Now it's our turn to shake our heads and say the world is dumbing down when in truth it might just be racing too far ahead for us to want to keep with😁
LOL! I hear what you're saying, but I'm not so sure. There's something to be said for good old fashioned labor and now a days it's all about how to get something with the least amount of effort - reminds me of that cartoon movie "WALL-E" where everyone get's fat because they have the technology to do everything from their chairs, lol! But not lol, but lol!
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #19

I hear what you are saying, but the bottom line is if you own a house that goes down the road at 60 MPH, either start learning to fix things yourself or expect your RV to cost a lot to maintain and spend a lot of time sitting in the lot at the repair shop.

Those who have never been DIYers would be surprised to find that they can fix most things themselves for a lot less money and aggravation by using resources like this forum and some of the thousands of YouTube repair videos. An added benefit is that they will rapidly learn how things work which is invaluable in the RV world.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
So true! I was recently telling a coworker how handyman/tradesmen are disappearing. (I'm a mechanic.) Soon a plumber will be charging $300 to change the flapper on your toilet.
You're not far off. I am a plumber and I am amazed at the things people call and pay me for. I used to feel bad about charging them, but I have become used to how incapable and unwilling people are to do work that I used to do when I was eight years old.

Bruce

Tags
vent