Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #1

At times like this.....

.....it helps to be a camping enthusiast.

Approximately 8:30 this evening we experienced a town wide black-out for 45 minutes. The entire town, be it only 1300 population, power was shut down and the town came to a complete halt. Black as black can be. Not sure if an electrical pole was struck, a power grid knocked out, or what happened. It was just Black and Quiet. Not many folks stirring about.

Thankfully, with the all those years of camping under our belt we immediately went into camping mode. Thankfully, again, for modern technology and the flashlight "apps" on the phones we were able to move about quicker. Got to love those apps. Although we have flashlights placed throughout the house for such outages too.

Out came the Coleman lanterns from the basement, the oil lamps from the pantry, and the camping stove and propane tank for making coffee, just in case the power was to last over night into the morning before work hours. Got to have that morning brew! We were prepared!!!

We ventured outside with lantern in hand, and scanned the neighborhood, wondering how many others were in camping mode as well. Was rather peaceful, to say the least.

Approximately 9:15 the power had came back on, and this little town was once again up and running.

Now, as I sit here typing and telling of this little black-out adventure, albeit not the first outing we've encountered, I am very thankful of my parents for their love of camping, tent camping back then, 1970's. Even more thankful that I enjoyed it enough to incorporate it as a part of my life all these many years...and...just for such cases as this, when the knowledge comes in very handy, and to not freak out!

We campers, We will survive!

( p.s. the camper is sitting right outside, so if need be we would still have had our coffee! LOL )

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

ain't it the truth? We had a blackout here for nearly 9 hours a couple of years ago. Used the flashlight & candles. We always kept our motorhome filled with gas & water so we could always run the generator & take a shower if necessary. Nearing the 8th hour of the blackout, hubby pulled the motorhome onto the driveway, started up the genny, and of course the power came back on at that moment. hehehe
I know what you mean about camping preparedness
Old 12-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

If a blackout happens at 8:30 p.m. or after, I'd have to find out about it the next morning.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
If a blackout happens at 8:30 p.m. or after, I'd have to find out about it the next morning.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:30 AM   #5

----
Yes, but if the water went off, I'd know it within two hours any time of the night.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
----
Yes, but if the water went off, I'd know it within two hours any time of the night.

Know what you mean.

Flagstaff 27RLWS

2014 F150 Ecoboost

22 Nights in 2015 so far.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #7

When we lose power, its rather often here in S/E TN the DW knows instantly, as she hears the house power down. Me? After 20 years of Naval Aviation, I dont hear it and keep on sleeping.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #8

If that happened here we'd have only be without power for 5 min.

Honda power is always on standby.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote