Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Puzzlme

Aux brakes for toad.

I am using the Blue Ox Patriot Brake on my toad and am VERY unhappy with the number of reliability issues I've encountered during situations when I most need the brake to be reliable.
During a recent trip through the Canadian Rockies the Patriot failed altogether. After hours of troubleshooting we finally determined that the battery was no longer holding a charge and that once it went into that error state, the motherboard tripped a circuit so that it wouldn't charge or run off the car battery. We weren't anywhere that a replacement battery of any kind could be purchased. As a temporary solution we found that starting the coach before turning on the brake prevented it from tripping the circuit or going into error state and it would go through it's sequence, into the ready state and function when called on. As we travelled, however, any bump in the road would send it into an error state requiring a stop so that we could rerun the whole setup process. Even hitting the transition while crossing a bridge would cause an error and we would lose the brake. As I said, we were travelling in the mountains, there were limited pull outs so we were relying on lower gears and coach brakes alone.
After this experience I have no interest in using this brake again.

Wondering what others use? Is the invisibrake system more reliable or does it have issues as well?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

https://rhodaventure.com/

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS
2014 - 15,000 Kilometers (9360 Miles) Alberta through the US to E. coast, up into Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and back.
2015 - 2 great trips so far. Alberta to Oregon coast, Alberta to Shushwap in BC.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, toad