Old 12-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Wonder how many of these at Dusseldorf were using Autoland? Apparently the B-777 was a pilot decision to do goaround. I had no problems with steady crosswinds - it was gusts that gave me headaches!
The Pilot In Command ( PIC) always has the authority to override the Autoland as well as any other system.

Along with the authority goes the responsibly.

B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Nice landings !!!!

2009 Ford F-150 XLT/XTR 5.4l, CrewCab. long bed
2011 Surveyor SV-291
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
A WW2 RAF friend once said "It wasn't until about 1942 that some dumb-*** invented crosswinds.' Prior to that time, even bombers took off from and landed at grass airfields and could always line up with the wind.

I took a flight from Plymouth, UK to Gatwick a few years ago on a Brymon Airways Twin Otter. Brymon operated single pilot, and the right seat on the flight deck was actually a revenue seat. I presented my Boeing business card at check-in and asked for that seat.

The captain came into the waiting area. introduced himself and invited me to accompany him on the pre-flight inspection. As we taxied away from the gate, I was looking at the rather gusty conditions and wondering what the Twin Otter's crosswind limitations were. A short distance from the gate, the Captain asked for permission to taxi over the grass, which was approved.

We taxied along the airport boundary until we reached the heading marker that faced into the wind. "Brymon 772 ready for take-off" the Captain reported. "772 - take-off approved" replied the tower. By the time we got to the runway we were at about 1200 feet!

It was different at Gatwick. There was a Laker DC-10 following us. The tower asked if we could make the first turn-off to clear the DC-10's approach. The Captain said "Negative, Gatwick Tower, but I'll fly down to the other end and get out of his way". We didn't touch down until we were about 500 feet from the end of the runway and we were at the gate before the DC-10 touched down.

I suspect that kind of flexibility isn't common these days!
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Cross wind Landings

We didn't have that problem in my Huey. We just turned into to the wind and set it down from a hover. lol
Hawksclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
A WW2 RAF friend once said "It wasn't until about 1942 that some dumb-*** invented crosswinds.' Prior to that time, even bombers took off from and landed at grass airfields and could always line up with the wind.
I believe they had aerodromes back then. All that "extra" land has now been acquired by happy home builders who immediately requested that the airport be closed!

I really enjoyed the old military airports in FL for initial training; they were all laid out in a equilateral triangle shape so you could always get a crosswind within 15 degrees of the nose. Mostly built by the Navy for carrier training.
2011 PrimeTime Tracer 2600rls
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L 4.10:1 axle ratio
Nights camping 2014 - 17
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
cogito ergo moo
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Here’s a 12 minute video of crab landings at Dusseldorf on an icy runway. The winds must have been pretty severe.

Crosswind Landings during a storm at Düsseldorf on an icy runway. Boeing 777, Airbus A340, A330 - YouTube

ref- first landing in that vid:

About a 30 degree crab, and then full rudder deflection while on the ground? Good thing that was a Boeing product. If it was Airbus, the rudder would have just snapped off. Nice catch by the Pilot.

ref- the 737 at 3:33:

Way off the centerline, skidding and getting blown to the near edge of the runway, and he still has time to turn on the nose gear light. wow.

FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 2012
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss (coming soon)
Nights camped 2016 -9
Nights Reserved 077121212125 ..........My Project Blog:

Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote