Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #1

B-777 go-around

Pretty good video of a B-777 fighting crosswinds.

Birmingham Airport: Video shows knee-trembling moment passenger jet has to avert landing after turning SIDEWAYS due to high winds - Mirror Online

To convert from a crab to a slip would probably have turned the left wing into a plow.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Pretty good video of a B-777 fighting crosswinds.

Birmingham Airport: Video shows knee-trembling moment passenger jet has to avert landing after turning SIDEWAYS due to high winds - Mirror Online

To convert from a crab to a slip would probably have turned the left wing into a plow.
Good piloting.

You can Goggle for B52 bomber crab landing and see B52's which are equipped with a landing gear that crabs make some crosswind landings.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Good piloting.

You can Goggle for B52 bomber crab landing and see B52's which are equipped with a landing gear that crabs make some crosswind landings.
my old C170B had that kind of gear also, it got me out of a lot of trouble being a tail dragger, as the saying goes (you fly it to the chocks)

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
my old C170B had that kind of gear also, it got me out of a lot of trouble being a tail dragger, as the saying goes (you fly it to the chocks)
Never was a pilot,but have heard many stories about tail draggers - such as C46's, C47/DC3's,170's being bears to land in some extreme conditions.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #5

cross wind landing

I was a crew member on Navy patrol planes. P2V type aircraft. We were coming from Dallas Texas, and stopping at Brunswick Maine for RON. We were light, as we had been bucking strong head winds for the last 3 hours. Line up on the runway was okay, and the drivers were doing okay, but at the last moment in time, the cross wind got us and we went into a terrible crabbing mess. We touched down semi-sideways. Blew the mains, tore off the nose wheel, and destroyed the radome. After the wild ride thru the mud and down the runway, 11 of us were getting out anyway we could. There was no fire, but I could smell all the fluids coming from various areas of the plane. There was no time to be scared. I was in the radio shack, so I went aft, and opened the rear belly exit, and took off,....but I was still in the aircraft. The plane was sitting on its belly. When I got my brain in gear, I blew open the rear windows and got to the ground, and ran away from the mess. I fell a few times, but after the last fall, I crawled to the edge of the runway. Had a fractured left kneecap, and twisted left ankle. Non of the crew died in that mess, but we sure were beat up. That was in the early 60's, and in December of 1989, the VA replaced my left knee, which had finally gave up.
robert elling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert elling View Post
I was a crew member on Navy patrol planes. P2V type aircraft. We were coming from Dallas Texas, and stopping at Brunswick Maine for RON. We were light, as we had been bucking strong head winds for the last 3 hours. Line up on the runway was okay, and the drivers were doing okay, but at the last moment in time, the cross wind got us and we went into a terrible crabbing mess. We touched down semi-sideways. Blew the mains, tore off the nose wheel, and destroyed the radome. After the wild ride thru the mud and down the runway, 11 of us were getting out anyway we could. There was no fire, but I could smell all the fluids coming from various areas of the plane. There was no time to be scared. I was in the radio shack, so I went aft, and opened the rear belly exit, and took off,....but I was still in the aircraft. The plane was sitting on its belly. When I got my brain in gear, I blew open the rear windows and got to the ground, and ran away from the mess. I fell a few times, but after the last fall, I crawled to the edge of the runway. Had a fractured left kneecap, and twisted left ankle. Non of the crew died in that mess, but we sure were beat up. That was in the early 60's, and in December of 1989, the VA replaced my left knee, which had finally gave up.
Not familiar with Navy airplanes, but that sounds like one wild ride you and the others took. Glad no one was killed and hope your replacement knee is working for you.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

Here’s a 12 minute video of crab landings at Dusseldorf on an icy runway. The winds must have been pretty severe.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #8

Wonder how many of these at Dusseldorf were using Autoland? Apparently the B-777 was a pilot decision to do goaround. I had no problems with steady crosswinds - it was gusts that gave me headaches!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

I think I'd need to change my britches if I was able to look out the window and see the end of the runway we were landing on!
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Wow......I just pinched the seat of my chair watching those videos.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Wonder how many of these at Dusseldorf were using Autoland? Apparently the B-777 was a pilot decision to do goaround. I had no problems with steady crosswinds - it was gusts that gave me headaches!
The Pilot In Command ( PIC) always has the authority to override the Autoland as well as any other system.

Along with the authority goes the responsibly.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #12

Nice landings !!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
Anacortesians

A WW2 RAF friend once said "It wasn't until about 1942 that some dumb-*** invented crosswinds.' Prior to that time, even bombers took off from and landed at grass airfields and could always line up with the wind.

I took a flight from Plymouth, UK to Gatwick a few years ago on a Brymon Airways Twin Otter. Brymon operated single pilot, and the right seat on the flight deck was actually a revenue seat. I presented my Boeing business card at check-in and asked for that seat.

The captain came into the waiting area. introduced himself and invited me to accompany him on the pre-flight inspection. As we taxied away from the gate, I was looking at the rather gusty conditions and wondering what the Twin Otter's crosswind limitations were. A short distance from the gate, the Captain asked for permission to taxi over the grass, which was approved.

We taxied along the airport boundary until we reached the heading marker that faced into the wind. "Brymon 772 ready for take-off" the Captain reported. "772 - take-off approved" replied the tower. By the time we got to the runway we were at about 1200 feet!

It was different at Gatwick. There was a Laker DC-10 following us. The tower asked if we could make the first turn-off to clear the DC-10's approach. The Captain said "Negative, Gatwick Tower, but I'll fly down to the other end and get out of his way". We didn't touch down until we were about 500 feet from the end of the runway and we were at the gate before the DC-10 touched down.

I suspect that kind of flexibility isn't common these days!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Hawksclaw554

Cross wind Landings

We didn't have that problem in my Huey. We just turned into to the wind and set it down from a hover. lol
Hawksclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
A WW2 RAF friend once said "It wasn't until about 1942 that some dumb-*** invented crosswinds.' Prior to that time, even bombers took off from and landed at grass airfields and could always line up with the wind.
I believe they had aerodromes back then. All that "extra" land has now been acquired by happy home builders who immediately requested that the airport be closed!

I really enjoyed the old military airports in FL for initial training; they were all laid out in a equilateral triangle shape so you could always get a crosswind within 15 degrees of the nose. Mostly built by the Navy for carrier training.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Here’s a 12 minute video of crab landings at Dusseldorf on an icy runway. The winds must have been pretty severe.

ref- first landing in that vid:

About a 30 degree crab, and then full rudder deflection while on the ground? Good thing that was a Boeing product. If it was Airbus, the rudder would have just snapped off. Nice catch by the Pilot.

ref- the 737 at 3:33:

Way off the centerline, skidding and getting blown to the near edge of the runway, and he still has time to turn on the nose gear light. wow.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote