Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

Back Home and Re-packing

Just got home from 7 days at Thousand Trails CG in Mocksville, NC and we will be repacking tomorrow, mowing the 1.5 acres and hit the road for Thousand Trails Orlando Sat. morning early. A close friend's wife of 60+ yrs died Mon in Haines City and he has Parkinson's and can't write, etc, so we are meeting another couple from Moline, IL going down and try to get him set up as far as SS, pension, bank accts and autopay his bills. Hadn't planned on going to FL til Dec, but we will do what we can to help. Hope we don't have to stay much over 10 days - 2 wks, but by taking the camper, we will stay as long as it takes. Sure glad I got the shocks installed and they are working as expected. The strip lights were a big hit this week. Several people wanted to know where we got them. Awning tie downs worked great thru 3 nights of heavy rain and moderate to strong winds. Not a quiver out of the awning and the arms were left loose. So glad someone came up with the idea of adding posts to strap down against.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Our RVs should do come in handy at times. It's nice of you to help your friend during this difficult time.

Take care and have a safe trip.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
...Take care and have a safe trip.
Thanks, that's what I was taught friends are for. Just glad the 4 of us will be able to help in some way. He is a dear friend and so was she.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Well, yard mowed, DW repacked, new awning lights installed with 44 button control, extra sewer valve installed to allow galley tank and grey tank to equalize and ready to head to FL around 6am tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

What shocks did you install?
Have a safe trip.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
What shocks did you install?
Have a safe trip.
Monroe Sensa-Trac 5989. Do you need the dimensions of them?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

We are on our way, an little later than expected, but after all, we are retired and on not set schedule.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As I stated to you earlier in the week be safe and take care of you df.
Our thoughts are with you my df.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Well, we made it to Savannah, GA KOA on I95. Only one minor mishap, pulling into the Waffle House in Columbia, went up a real step incline off the road and dragged and bent the bolt/saddle holding the two 4-1/2" pvc tubes to the point that the 1/2" threaded rods (15" long) on both sides had to be replaced. Stopped at a Lowes and got a 3' pc and repairs were made and everything good to go. DW and I are both very pleased with how much better the truck and trailer ride as compared to the tt. For some reason or other, since we left Mocksville, NC Thurs afternoon til the last fill up today, we are getting 11.2mpg. Can't believe it, but that is thru 2 fill ups(45+gal) and will start tomorrow with the 3rd. Will see if it continues all the way to Orlando.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Made it to Thousand Trails Orlando (Clermont) with no problems whatsoever. We love the way the truck rides now, no sway, no banging when stopping or starting, no dolphining/porpoising. It is a real pleasure to tow this 5er. I really think the shocks helped a bunch. Tires gained about 6-8 lbs and temp about 10-15 above ambient. Sure hope everything stays like it is. Have never towed anything this far that was this pleasurable and we've towed tongue trailers for over 35 yrs all over the US.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #11

Nice of you to go and help out friends.............. Makes our world go around just a bit smoother. More people should think about it! Son lives outside of Clermont.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Well, we made it back to Concord with no problems whatsoever. Did stop and wt the whole rig this morning in SC, total wt: 14,900# Have no idea what the individual wts were as they just weighted the whole rig. Doesn't really matter, we are not buying a new truck or trailer regardless of where the weight is. Sorry weight police, we will just have to suffer the consequences.