Old 12-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
FYI, the credit card companies/banks hardly ever absorb the loss, and it falls on the shoulders of the company who accepted the card (number). The Credit card issuer backcharges the company who accepted it, thus they absorb all the loss of money/services/products. As a business owner, Even if you go by all the procedures the credit card companies state you must do in accepting credit cards properly....they still will backcharge you if it turns out to fraudulent later on............unless you have some high dollar attorneys to fight them on it. Because of this, I make my guys always verify a persons ID when accepting a credit card..........or when people try to use their debit card as credit. We also won't accept credit cards over the phone, or cards that don't match the ID of the person handing it to us. It has cost us some business, but we also don't get backcharged. I learned this lesson the hard way to the tune of about $1140. Just posting this info, in case you get annoyed if the clerk asks you for ID when you purchase something with a card........so you can understand why they may do it.
Doesn't bother me one bit

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #22

More of the story.

UPS delivered the package containing the computer to our door. We werenít expecting a package so when I looked at the label I noticed it had my neighborís name on it but with our address. I thought there must have been a typo in the address (4822 vs. 4821) so I took the package across the street to our neighborís house who wasnít home at the time. There was already one package on his porch so I left this package there too.

About an hour later thereís a knock on our door and itís my neighbor saying he opened the package and realized it was a computer that they didnít order. Since our address was on the package he thought it must be ours. That started a long discussion about how a package with his name on it but with my address could be shipped from Best Buy. Thatís when we decided we better take a look at credit card charges. He took the computer back to his house because it was his name on the package and he had been a victim of credit card fraud just last year. I thought for sure the fraud would be on one of his cards. Nope, on a card my wife and I use only infrequently, there was a charge from Best Buy for $990.13 that turned out to be the computer in question.

It took about 4 hours of our time on the phone (mostly on hold) and a visit to Best Buy to return the computer to get things straightened out.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Site Team

This is a common practice among organized fraud and identity theft rings. They work in concert with one another. One steals the card number, another makes the online purchase, often from library or other public computer, and another watches your house for delivery then scoops up the item from your front door. Often, the thieves live in your area.
You foiled the plan this time. Good for you. Were you home when the delivery was made?
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
This is a common practice among organized fraud and identity theft rings. They work in concert with one another. One steals the card number, another makes the online purchase, often from library or other public computer, and another watches your house for delivery then scoops up the item from your front door. Often, the thieves live in your area.
You foiled the plan this time. Good for you. Were you home when the delivery was made?
Yes, we were home. I think we must have been victims of a criminal still in the training program and he/she didn't get it quite right.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
another watches your house for delivery then scoops up the item from your front door. Often, the thieves live in your area.
This is worrisome, now knowing your house is being watched.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
Ham Radio since 1970

Bob, glad you got it all straightened out. Like somebody said, crooks are often not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Locally, the police solved a string of home burglaries because the dumb-dumb stole an IPod and didn't turn off the GPS. The tracked the GPS using one of those 'find my IPod' apps, and found a whole houseful of stolen goods. Sheesh.

However, based on that experience, I think I am getting one of those apps for our cell phones, computers, etc.

Mike
Nights camped '14: 51 '15: 134 '16: 149 '17: 171

N9ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One safeguard I always do (which is a do not), I never sign the back of my cards. If you lose your card, the "finder" now has your signature also.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #28

I sign my cards 'ASK FOR ID'. 50% of the time clerks do just that. When they do, I thank them.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
One safeguard I always do (which is a do not), I never sign the back of my cards. If you lose your card, the "finder" now has your signature also.
Wise decision.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I sign my cards 'ASK FOR ID'. 50% of the time clerks do just that. When they do, I thank them.
Love it.