Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Bad News, Good News.

The bad news: Our credit card number was compromised and used to purchase a $950.00 computer from Best Buy online.

The good news: Dumb ***** crook shipped it to the billing address so the computer we didn’t buy came to our house. We returned the computer and Best Buy is sending a credit to our card. We had the credit card company freeze the account and their security is now investigating this fraud.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Always Learning

LOL. That's pretty fantastic.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #3

As they say, most criminals aren't the sharpest tools in the shed!
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The bad news: Our credit card number was compromised and used to purchase a $950.00 computer from Best Buy online.

The good news: Dumb ***** crook shipped it to the billing address so the computer we didn’t buy came to our house. We returned the computer and Best Buy is sending a credit to our card. We had the credit card company freeze the account and their security is now investigating this fraud.
Only thing that would have made him a dumber criminal would have been if he shipped it to his own house...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #5

A number of years ago I had a $375 charge at a leather shop in New Jersey. The bank checked and the charge stated the buyer was my wife. That was odd. Not only did she not make the charge, but her name was not associated with the card at all, and I had the only card on that account. Someone not only got my card number, they got my wife's name, too. The bank too care of that, too.

About two years ago I checked my credit card on line late at night and found that there were some charges at a post office in France. The next morning I got a call from my bank, asking if I had been to France. I told the lady that I had not, but apparently my credit card had. They took care of the bogus charges. The lady said their computer tracks cardholder's spending habits and alerts them if something different happens. If the thief had made a charge in the USA it may not have picked it up because I've bought gas for the Sunseeker in almost every state!
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #6

WOO HOO..........all criminals are dumb ans stupid.
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #7

"...dumb ans stupid."
?
ouch
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #8

Quote:

Now, that's funny....but...

The really bad news: The crook will probably break into your house, since he now knows the "ship to" address, looking for "his" new computer.

Sorry, Bob. Don't think that is really true, but just had to go there.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #9

Mike that scenario isn’t far-fetched. Although if someone breaks in and takes our computers they’ll be cursing themselves with a Windows Vista machine and a Windows 8 machine.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #10

A couple of years ago the same happened to us. Only the crook met the UPS driver up the road and claim his package (sent to my house). The credit card company froze my account and investigated. I was not liable. Shortly after, the police busted a credit card fraud ring working out to the store (Circuit City). Circuit City was the last place I did a legit purchase before the fraud. Thank goodness for credit card fraud protection.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #11

My bank which is BofA which I have a business acct with froze and reissued my card 3x's already. Never had to pay a penny. Once on a cross country trip they called me to check on charges in different states. I said I was traveling. They told me to notify them when I travel.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
NELA

The answer to all of this is ....

LIFELOCK!

DH and I got LifeLock when he received a call late one night from a "collection agency" stating I had an overdue ...drum roll....60K...balance on a BofA credit card.

I've never had a BofA card.

This cat had all the information except my SS number, which he tried to get DH to "verify" for him. I mean he had my full name, my place of employment, our address, etc. He called DH's cell phone, which is on my account (I get Federal Employee discounts), so we think that's where it all originated.
He threatened to sue us over and over and over, and resorted to cursing DH when he couldn't get my SS number verification from DH.

Seriously? What credit card company would even allow a balance to run up to 60K? Ten minutes after that call we both had LifeLock.

Three nights ago I opened an account with Amazon. Within 10 minutes we got notification from LifeLock about it. I was required to verify that it was me that opened that account before they'd allow it to go through.

P.S. We never heard back from that collection agent about "my" 60K over due BofA account. /snark But that call shook us up. WTH??? We rest easier now knowing we're protected.

Back to the OP, that crook was probably counting on watching your house and snagging that parcel as soon as it was delivered.

Way too many SOBs out there looking to steal something instead of working for it. grrrrrrr

(political filter engaged...stat)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
My bank which is BofA which I have a business acct with froze and reissued my card 3x's already. Never had to pay a penny. Once on a cross country trip they called me to check on charges in different states. I said I was traveling. They told me to notify them when I travel.
That happens to me all the time. I've had AmEx call me before I walked out of the store and asked if I just made a purchase at a Walmart.

Oakman, I could have sworn I had unchecked that "ship to billing address".
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
Professional Curmudgeon

My bride had her debit card number stolen. A $25.00 purchase was made in Ireland. The bank wouldn't refund her money and charged her $10.00 to issue her a new account number. I closed my account with them and took my business elsewhere.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
My bride had her debit card number stolen. A $25.00 purchase was made in Ireland. The bank wouldn't refund her money and charged her $10.00 to issue her a new account number. I closed my account with them and took my business elsewhere.
Wow- you made the right move. I've had our accounts compromised 2 or 3 times to the tune of about $3,000 total and it hasn't costed me a penny.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Mike that scenario isn’t far-fetched. Although if someone breaks in and takes our computers they’ll be cursing themselves with a Windows Vista machine and a Windows 8 machine.
If the (Bad People) steal our Computers they will automatically be Members of (FRF)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If the (Bad People) steal our Computers they will automatically be Members of (FRF)! Youroo!!
I hadn't thought about that. Funny and true.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Wow- you made the right move. I've had our accounts compromised 2 or 3 times to the tune of about $3,000 total and it hasn't costed me a penny.
FYI, the credit card companies/banks hardly ever absorb the loss, and it falls on the shoulders of the company who accepted the card (number). The Credit card issuer backcharges the company who accepted it, thus they absorb all the loss of money/services/products.

As a business owner, Even if you go by all the procedures the credit card companies state you must do in accepting credit cards properly....they still will backcharge you if it turns out to be fraudulent later on............unless you have some high dollar attorneys to fight them on it.

Because of this, I make my guys always verify a persons ID when accepting a credit card..........or when people try to use their debit card as credit. We also won't accept credit cards over the phone, or cards that don't match the ID of the person handing it to us.

It has cost us some business, but we also don't get backcharged. I learned this lesson the hard way to the tune of about $1140.

Just posting this info, in case you get annoyed if the clerk asks you for ID when you purchase something with a card........so you can understand why they may do it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
Always Learning

Thanks for that insight wmtire.

Frankly I get annoyed when they don't ask. When someone stole cards from my wife's purse- the thief actually went through 3 cards before the final one wasn't denied due to fraud alerts. To this day, I wonder how that discussion went with the clerk and why they kept just trying cards.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #20

For every 'dumb ass' bad guy out there, there are 10 times that evading the authorities daily and making millions. Those are the ones IT pro's are always steps behind securing our data.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote