Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
FYI, the credit card companies/banks hardly ever absorb the loss, and it falls on the shoulders of the company who accepted the card (number). The Credit card issuer backcharges the company who accepted it, thus they absorb all the loss of money/services/products. As a business owner, Even if you go by all the procedures the credit card companies state you must do in accepting credit cards properly....they still will backcharge you if it turns out to fraudulent later on............unless you have some high dollar attorneys to fight them on it. Because of this, I make my guys always verify a persons ID when accepting a credit card..........or when people try to use their debit card as credit. We also won't accept credit cards over the phone, or cards that don't match the ID of the person handing it to us. It has cost us some business, but we also don't get backcharged. I learned this lesson the hard way to the tune of about $1140. Just posting this info, in case you get annoyed if the clerk asks you for ID when you purchase something with a card........so you can understand why they may do it.
Doesn't bother me one bit
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #22

More of the story.

UPS delivered the package containing the computer to our door. We weren’t expecting a package so when I looked at the label I noticed it had my neighbor’s name on it but with our address. I thought there must have been a typo in the address (4822 vs. 4821) so I took the package across the street to our neighbor’s house who wasn’t home at the time. There was already one package on his porch so I left this package there too.

About an hour later there’s a knock on our door and it’s my neighbor saying he opened the package and realized it was a computer that they didn’t order. Since our address was on the package he thought it must be ours. That started a long discussion about how a package with his name on it but with my address could be shipped from Best Buy. That’s when we decided we better take a look at credit card charges. He took the computer back to his house because it was his name on the package and he had been a victim of credit card fraud just last year. I thought for sure the fraud would be on one of his cards. Nope, on a card my wife and I use only infrequently, there was a charge from Best Buy for $990.13 that turned out to be the computer in question.

It took about 4 hours of our time on the phone (mostly on hold) and a visit to Best Buy to return the computer to get things straightened out.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Site Team

This is a common practice among organized fraud and identity theft rings. They work in concert with one another. One steals the card number, another makes the online purchase, often from library or other public computer, and another watches your house for delivery then scoops up the item from your front door. Often, the thieves live in your area.
You foiled the plan this time. Good for you. Were you home when the delivery was made?

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
This is a common practice among organized fraud and identity theft rings. They work in concert with one another. One steals the card number, another makes the online purchase, often from library or other public computer, and another watches your house for delivery then scoops up the item from your front door. Often, the thieves live in your area.
You foiled the plan this time. Good for you. Were you home when the delivery was made?
Yes, we were home. I think we must have been victims of a criminal still in the training program and he/she didn't get it quite right.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
another watches your house for delivery then scoops up the item from your front door. Often, the thieves live in your area.
This is worrisome, now knowing your house is being watched.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
Ham Radio since 1970

Bob, glad you got it all straightened out. Like somebody said, crooks are often not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Locally, the police solved a string of home burglaries because the dumb-dumb stole an IPod and didn't turn off the GPS. The tracked the GPS using one of those 'find my IPod' apps, and found a whole houseful of stolen goods. Sheesh.

However, based on that experience, I think I am getting one of those apps for our cell phones, computers, etc.

Mike
Nights camped '14: 51 '15: 134 '16: 149 '17: 171

N9ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One safeguard I always do (which is a do not), I never sign the back of my cards. If you lose your card, the "finder" now has your signature also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #28

I sign my cards 'ASK FOR ID'. 50% of the time clerks do just that. When they do, I thank them.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
One safeguard I always do (which is a do not), I never sign the back of my cards. If you lose your card, the "finder" now has your signature also.
Wise decision.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I sign my cards 'ASK FOR ID'. 50% of the time clerks do just that. When they do, I thank them.
Love it.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

This is worrisome, now knowing your house is being watched.
On the bright side, they now know they're not dealing with a dummy, and that you're on to their little scheme.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #32

The saga continues.

FedEx came to our door late this afternoon looking for a package pickup. I had no idea what he was talking about. I confirmed that he had the right address but guess what, once again it was my neighbors name associated with my address on the pickup slip. Myself, my neighbor, and the delivery man had a big discussion as to what this was all about and decided it had to be associated with the computer that was delivered yesterday. The FedEx driver gave me the name and address of the person the package was to be delivered to and we have passed that on to the credit card company.

This has been very strange.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If the (Bad People) steal our Computers they will automatically be Members of (FRF)! Youroo!!
OMG. Then they can get all the secret information about where and when rallies are being held...
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #34

[QUOTE I sign my cards 'ASK FOR ID'. 50% of the time clerks do just that. When they do, I thank them. QUOTE=dcheatwood;507775] Love it.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The saga continues.

FedEx came to our door late this afternoon looking for a package pickup. I had no idea what he was talking about. I confirmed that he had the right address but guess what, once again it was my neighbors name associated with my address on the pickup slip. Myself, my neighbor, and the delivery man had a big discussion as to what this was all about and decided it had to be associated with the computer that was delivered yesterday. The FedEx driver gave me the name and address of the person the package was to be delivered to and we have passed that on to the credit card company.

This has been very strange.
So where was FedEx supposed to deliver it? Somewhere close to you, or out of state?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #36

Not Credit Cards but we had two "Rocket Scientists" standing at our gate one evening & our Lab (She's passed now) going crazy. She did not like them at all. They were yelling Hey so I opened the door & they said they ran out of gas could I help them & give them some gas....... They stayed on the other side of the fence with the dog going crazy, I told them I had none & asked them where their car was ........"It is the neighbors driveway" not that close... I asked could I call someone for them ........they didn't know anyone close......... would I take them somewhere to get gas ......... no but I will call a friend .... I did & just a few minutes & Franklin County Sheriffs Deputy was there .....& off all of them went...........

Found out the next day they did run out of gas...........................after they broke in to a convenience store & had a car load of stolen merchandise........ they only got about three miles with their loot.......

The dog did not like them at all probably a good thing........... had never seen her so protective of her territory............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
So where was FedEx supposed to deliver it? Somewhere close to you, or out of state?
The deliver to address was out of state in Wisconsin.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
OMG. Then they can get all the secret information about where and when rallies are being held...
And where all the secret compartments are that we "modded" in to our units!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
X-2...as you say, many don't even bother to look at the back of the card and when the cashier doesn't I remind them. Some look at you like you have two heads, some apologize, and some don't say a thing... still a good idea.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #40

We had a similar problem with Best Buy. One day a large package was delivered to the house inside was a pair of very large woofers. We called Best buy and asked what was t going on and was told that we had opened up a charge account with them and ordered them. Tried to return them to Best Buy and couldn't because we did not have the original receipt or credit card. (Never had one to start with) So we held on to them until the bill came (it never did) pretty soon it was threatened to go collections and FINALLY Best buy would take them back still in original shipping box, but for some reason NO one could ever find a credit card in our name with them.......Never showed up on any credit report either........Police had told us to hold the items as they had been shipped to us and as of that time no law had been broken.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote