Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
B47

Bad weather DFW area.

For those who are familiar with I35 in the DFW area and have heard of our bad weather around the area, I am watching the local TV channels and they are reporting and showing traffic on I35.

There is a 12 mile plus stoppage of all traffic around the Denton area which is about 25-30 miles North of the DFW area. Nothing is moving due to the ice covered interstate and they are predicting another 40 hours of below freezing temperatures around here.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #2

Freezing rain sucks, ice covered surfaces are hard to walk on, all but impossible to drive on. But so does -24C (-10F) with snow flurries which is what we have at the moment.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Freezing rain sucks, ice covered surfaces are hard to walk on, all but impossible to drive on. But so does -24C (-10F) with snow flurries which is what we have at the moment.
Yep - none of it is good.

The heavy ice we are getting is causing power lines to go down, trees to topple over on houses and cars.

A large boat dock had its roof caved in from the ice and the Dallas Marathon was cancelled.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #4

The same here in west Texas. We have had ice on the roads for 2 days. Our high for tomorrow is forecasted to be 21 degrees. I know a lot of our friends here on forum deal with a lot more, however, here our highway departments are not equipped far extended iced conditions. Texas drivers and iced are not a good combination.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Yep - none of it is good.

The heavy ice we are getting is causing power lines to go down, trees to topple over on houses and cars.

A large boat dock had its roof caved in from the ice and the Dallas Marathon was cancelled.
Boy that sounds nasty, hope it doesn't get as bad as the ice storm that hit Quebec and Ontario and parts of eastern US back in 1998
Old 12-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster30 View Post
The same here in west Texas. We have had ice on the roads for 2 days. Our high for tomorrow is forecasted to be 21 degrees. I know a lot of our friends here on forum deal with a lot more, however, here our highway departments are not equipped far extended iced conditions. Texas drivers and iced are not a good combination.
I agree completely! I am in midland working and just pulled a 40hr shift all outside in this weather! It is nasty plus it shuts down everything I need to do my job. I also had to pull a 20' gooseneck with 13,000# in pipe on these roads and texans (no offense intended to anyone) are not good on these roads at all!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #7

Here in Sachse Tx. we lost our power at 4:20 am And it did not come back on till 7:20pm. We had over a inch of ice on our driveway. Thank God we had our MH parked in the cover in the backyard. I started the gen. turned on the furnaces and we camped in our backyard nice a cozy. Lesson learned keep propane full and gas tank full.
I hope everyone made it thru this safe and sound.