Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
B47

Beverages

Well I didn't think it would fit in the At The Cookout thread, so I put it here - move it if necessary.

I noticed that a lot of us here enjoy our favorite alcohol beverage (s) while at the CG or site and it got me to thinking about this - that being do you bring your beverages from home or do you buy them en route or when you arrive and set up or do you have another method to lay in your supply?

I know what you're thinking - yes it's been a slow day
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Bring some, bring some extra, then go buy more.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I bring my beverages with me. Why spend time shopping and paying tourist prices when I could be at the campground enjoying myself!!!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Bring some, bring some extra, then go buy more.
X2. Cheers!

ADK-RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

I'll bring it with me if we will be going for just a few days but if it will be longer than that and in a new area I will try to find some local craft beers. I favor IPAs and I have found some very good ones, especially in the western states.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #6

I always bring mine with me. That way I know for sure I have what I want/like!

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
I'll bring it with me if we will be going for just a few days but if it will be longer than that and in a new area I will try to find some local craft beers. I favor IPAs and I have found some very good ones, especially in the western states.
That's kind of what I thought some people would do as far as taking advantage of being away from home and looking for some new brews - much like finding and sampling different foods. In order to do what you do, I would assume you have to leave your site and go exploring.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Always Learning

Mostly both. Bring a few and stock up depending on who is going along or meeting us there. We drink Yuengling or another typically mid-weight beer, so it's easy to find a distributor most places that we go.

If I take it, I'll usually pre-cool it at home and run the outside fridge to get it cold. Then I load it up, put our table clothes in it for padding and make sure the door is latched shut (I added a baby-lock to keep it closed).
Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
NELA

DH and I *seldom* indulge in adult beverages here at home, maybe a glass of red wine in the evening.

So, we keep the bar stocked in the RV. WELL stocked. If we empty a bottle I keep it to remind me to buy more of that one. Or I keep a post it note pad handy to keep up with what needs replacing.

No self respectin' Southern Belle gets caught without a well stocked OBAOP! I left out one of my bar items the other day: A nice bottle of Grey Goose! Gotta have that for Bloody Marys.

OK I'll confess I even keep some "to kill ya", but *not* for me! One margarita and I morph from a Southern Belle to a foul mouthed Redneck with a crushing headache. I get in some kinda trouble *every* time I get near that evil stuff! There was this one weekend down in the Redneck Riviera.....nahhh, nevermind.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

We usually don't have to go too far. The little stores in both Yosemite and the Grand Canyon National Parks both had good selections of local beers. My go-to beer when home is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or pretty much any of the Sam Adams IPAs.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Mostly both. Bring a few and stock up depending on who is going along or meeting us there. We drink Yuengling or another typically mid-weight beer, so it's easy to find a distributor most places that we go.

If I take it, I'll usually pre-cool it at home and run the outside fridge to get it cold. Then I load it up, put our table clothes in it for padding and make sure the door is latched shut (I added a baby-lock to keep it closed).
I found the perfect place to store our "fixins". There's a really wide drawer under the air bed sofa. I use a few sofa throws to wrap the bottles in, and if I run out of room there I use the drawers under the bed, wrapping the bottles with bath towels.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
NELA

All these beer drinkers! SMH....we have a separate fridge in the garage here at home, just for sodas, etc. There's a six pack of Bud Lite that's been in there for over a year.

Vintage beer!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
NELA

Oh, I also forgot another one...

Bailey's!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I found the perfect place to store our "fixins". There's a really wide drawer under the air bed sofa. I use a few sofa throws to wrap the bottles in, and if I run out of room there I use the drawers under the bed, wrapping the bottles with bath towels.
That's a good idea, but one of our sofas keeps extra diapers and baby changing stuff and the other has extra bedding for when we fill the camper up!

We don't carry a lot. A bottle of rum (autocorrected to "fun" by my phone- so true!), 6-12 beers and then 6 or so of my wife's fruity wine coolers.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #15

Wifey likes wine. I prefer X2 on the Yuengling suds. I'll bring a 12 pack before we leave and re-stock when I get low. We love NH State liquor stores since they are CHEAP with no taxes. I'll usually bring a handle of JD too, chill N swill a glass on the rocks early evening waiting for the coals to get hot. Cheers!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

Usually, we take our beverages with us. Like others have stated, why run out and pay the tourist prices? My local purveyor of fine spirits and brewed beverages has some great prices.
However, here in the great State of Maryland, we can no longer indulge in adult beverages at state CG's, UNLESS you are in a motorhome. So, we've been going above the Mason-Dixon line to PA CG's or across the Potomac River to Wild & Wonderful West Virginia CG's.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Wifey likes wine. I prefer X2 on the Yuengling suds. I'll bring a 12 pack before we leave and re-stock when I get low. We love NH State liquor stores since they are CHEAP with no taxes. I'll usually bring a handle of JD too, chill N swill a glass on the rocks early evening waiting for the coals to get hot. Cheers!
Have you ever tried "Gentleman Jack"? If you try that you'll never be happy with *just* JD again.

It's dangerous though, smoooooth stuff! Way too easy to drink.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's a good idea, but one of our sofas keeps extra diapers and baby changing stuff and the other has extra bedding for when we fill the camper up!

We don't carry a lot. A bottle of rum (autocorrected to "fun" by my phone- so true!), 6-12 beers and then 6 or so of my wife's fruity wine coolers.
We use the cabinets over the top of our sofa for puppy pads (Fred's totally house trained but we put those down if we're gonna be out for a while.) And sofa throws and blankets are stored there, as well as a couple of lanterns.

We have so many of those overhead cabinets there's no way we'll ever use 'em all.

The ones over the bed? Empty.

The ones over the dresser in the bedroom? Empty.

The ones over the recliners? Empty.

The ones over the entertainment center? Empty.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
So, we've been going above the Mason-Dixon line to PA CG's or across the Potomac River to Wild & Wonderful West Virginia CG's. Larry
PA state parks prohibit alcohol. They don't even have the provision that you can drink it inside of a motorhome that I know of.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We use the cabinets over the top of our sofa for puppy pads (Fred's totally house trained but we put those down if we're gonna be out for a while.) And sofa throws and blankets are stored there, as well as a couple of lanterns. We have so many of those overhead cabinets there's no way we'll ever use 'em all. The ones over the bed? Empty. The ones over the dresser in the bedroom? Empty. The ones over the recliners? Empty. The ones over the entertainment center? Empty.
Weezer, there ain't nothing empty in our camper except my wallet!