Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Played cornhole with Jonathan Cain (keyboard/guitarist for Journey) this past weekend. My 5yr old daughter, sat on stage with Peter Frampton(whom I've met) during a concert. Rick Springfield, but this was all about my wife, and she didn't know I existed while we hung out. Countless country music artists.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #22

I forgot one encounter that I enjoyed very much. I took my Son to Las Vegas for his 21st BD and we stayed at the MGM Grand when they had the Jai Alai court ('79). I enjoyed watching and betting (did so often in Miami as well as Vegas)

anyway they had front row "boxes" that you could upgrade to - had pretty gals who'd place bets and get drinks for ya

we got seated before the games started and darned if Michael Landon, his Wife and his Manager and his wife didn't join us in the box

had a great time explaining how to bet to that group (same bets as for the Horses) but enjoyed more the presence of Landon and his Wife (very pleasant folks) - the Son thought it was nifty too

Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky
31 years of commercial flying with Continental Airline - 10 years of that out of L.A.

Bob Six, CEO of Continental for 45 years, was married to Audrey Meadows (!) - a 1st class Hollywood bee-ach - they would do obnoxious/low class things like throw dinner rolls at the Flight Attendants if they weren't fresh or dump ice cream on the 1st class carpet if not frozen hard enough - a real class act, those two (not) - they would sit in seats A & B, row 6 (Audrey & Bob Six - cute, huh ?)

countless celebs over the years - from

sports figures (and sports team charters) :

-Ilie nasty Nastase - a true jerk - showed up for a flight out of LA after a tournament, in his warm-up suit, without showering
-the Minnesoto Vikings returning to Minneapolis after a game, trashed the airplane by urinating and deficating all over the cabin interior, tearing off restroom doors, ripping seats and breaking seatbacks - so trashed that the normal cabin cleaning crew wouldn't enter the airplane
houston rockets : leaving LA had the aircraft catered with really good "Soul Food" - Pork Chops in a Raisin Gravy and Sweet Tater Pie (all sports team charters have really good catering)

hollywood types : Bob Denver (Gilligan) is remembered by me as a really nice fellow

astro-nots : frank borman, an obnoxious, pathetic little man

ex-Presidents : Geo HW Bush, a nice enough fellow

tv : my Wife, an active Flight Attendant, says that ann curry (recently fired NBC "Today" anchor) is a totally obnoxious ....., er, poor excuse for a human being

could go on but too many to list

when I 1st signed on with the Airline I started collecting autographs but soon discovered that my family didn't want them and I didn't, so meeting celebs became nothing more than a casual comment over a family dinner

I've discovered, over the years, that family and friends are my heros.....Bill
Look what we have at the Lax hanger now!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3363917814.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	19917  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

My wife and I were in the Little Rock airport waiting on our oldest son and the plane he was supposed to come in on, when it unloaded, the first person that got off was Don Shula and his granddaughter. After finding out our son was coming in on the next plane, we started to leave and there, standing in the aisle was Don and his granddaughter and I introduced myself and wife and said we were great fans of the Dolphins and my wife thought that he was a very handsome man. He shook my hand and gave my wife a kiss and a big hug. She just about fainted. He left and was standing downstairs waiting on his car at the Avis counter and we walked by and he turned and said Hi Frankie and gave her another hug and kiss. Needless to say, she was on cloud nine.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #25

Just last week, while we were in Ottawa, ran into the anchor of Canada's national night-time news, Peter Mansbridge, in the lobby of the Fairmont Chateau Laurier, and had a nice chat. Just a normal fellow. He had just come back from an assignment in the Arctic, where there is a team looking for the lost Franklin Expedition of the mid 1800's. I had been watching the reports all week, so we had lts to talk about.

For hockey fans, Bobby and Bret Hull used to hang out at our local country bar back in the 70's, so got to talk to them a lot. They owned a ranch nearby as well.

Back in the 80's, somehow got on the plane coming home from Minneapolis with the full WWF wrestling crew. There were some crazy, and really BIG, guys on that plane!
I'll always remember Mad Dog Vachon sitting in the back of the plane all by himself, devouring multiple meals just like an animal! I still wonder why no one would sit with him?

Ran into Mel Gibson down in Costa Rica, but he didn't really seem approachable, so didn't push my luck.

And while we were in Mexico City many years ago, our tour operator to the Teotihuacan ruins was the bus driver in the movie Romancing The Stone, and he was quite the entertaining fellow!

Most "celebrities" I have run into seem like decent people, well except for Mel!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #26
phat phrog stunt crew

pavlovs dog ... natchez trace. loved that song as a teen. have met pat liston of mamas pride. very nice guy. great story teller too.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime0022 View Post
Look what we have at the Lax hanger now!!!
yes, I see the sign on the wall - make my heart sick !

I liked the look of that hangar better when it had a 747 sitting in it

(I'm not a fan of NASA spending - believe the world would have been better off had those $s gone to medical research).....Bill
Old 09-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #28
CLASS "A" Senior Member

1st: Met Johnny Unitas at Harbour Place in Baltimore one Sunday evening. He was walking along the sidewalk. I saw him coming, no one else had that walk from many years in the NFL. We talked for a few minutes and shook hands. A few years later his son worked at the same company as me. Bobby took the last Game Day Program from Memorial Stadium, which had Johnny on the front and was also my birthday to his Dad. He autographed it for me. I'll always treasure it.
2nd: I'm a Lionel Train collector and a member of the TCA. We have a semi-annual train meet at the York Fairgrounds. Neil Young is a collector as well and part owner in Lionel. He developed a remote control to operate trains. We spoke a couple times but on one occasion he invited about 12 of us into the large tent they had set up. He closed the flap and for about 45 minutes we had a private showing of the latest upgrades at that time, personally demonstrated by Neil. He talked with all of us as if he knew us all of our lives. He autographed the flyer with all of the new features for all of us.
3rd: We were on vacation in North Carolina and went to Lowes Motor Speedway. As we pulled in there were two fellows with motorcycles to the left. I recognized them both. Turns out it was Ralph Sheheen from Speed Channel and 5 Time Nascar Champion Jimmy Johnson. Got a couple pictures, but didn't have anything for either to autograph. This was in 2003 before he started winning championships.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #29

my 9th cousin is Jimmy Dean, yeah, the sausage guy (my granddad does NOT like that side of the family). saw squiggy at LAX, then saw Billy Corgan, lead singer/bald guy from Smashing Pumpkins band at disneyland, he was in line in front of me and we talked a minute while he's with his family, saw Burl Ives next to KITT, the knight rider car at universal studios. shook Ray Stevens' hand at branson, my wife got her picture with him, obviously i took the picture. he's a very nice guy. went to school with Bart, big brother of Zach Thomas from the Dolphins team when he played. knew Zach from when he was a little kid.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
My wife works with David Surkamp, who/is was lead singer of the 70's rock band Pavlov's Dog.

Apparently they were on the verge of being a huge thing back in the day, and they are still pretty popular in Europe and Japan. It kinda freaks me out when a fan recognizes him and gets all worked up. To me, he is just David, a nice, if slightly loopy guy.

Tim
Was he in the documentary movie, "The Other "F" Word"? I can't remember, but if you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth a watch, especially if you are/were a fan of the rock/punk rock era. It's about all these rockers who have become "Fathers".