Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Brush with fame

Who in the world of famous or infamous have you brushed shoulders, with chatted to or simply saw. I was in a security line up next to Chevy Chase. Didn't realize who he was until he walked away. He must have thought I was stuck up or something.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

i shook Ronald Reagans hand does that count ?
came to our school in the 80's to speak .

met matt kinseth and Dale Earnhardt jr in a bar in Wisconsin whilst snowmobiling !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Missing Link

Met a few different hockey player with the most popular being Nick Lidstrom at a hockey game his kid was playing in. But the best was when kid rock and Pam Anderson came into the Harley dealer I was working at.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

I stood in the endless Canada Customs line-up at the Vancouver Airport in front of Peter Fonda & others. Just a friendly, soft-spoken 'natural' guy.

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I met a short gray chick with big eyes one night in a farmer's field after my truck died while investigating some strange lights. Don't remember much after that; though I have a strange scar on the back of my neck...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I met a short gray chick with big eyes one night in a farmer's field after my truck died while investigating some strange lights. Don't remember much after that; though I have a strange scar on the back of my neck...
Holy cow!!!!!!

You, too, Lou????????????

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

I knew it..
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #8

Neil Armstrong. My first (and 4th) job was with an organization called The Society of Experimental Test Pilots. We had a convention every year and he had just been accepted into the astronaut program. He and Alan Shepard came into the area where I was working and I asked Shepard if he would mind giving me his autograph for my little brother - since Armstrong was standing there and I didn't want to leave him out I asked him to sign too, saying something like "You'll be famous some day". Little did I know - should have kept the autographs for myself (I give my brother a bad time about that now).

Most of the astronauts were members of the SETP but Armstrong was definitely one of my favorites even back then - no "ego" like many of the others.
leahabtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #9

One of my heroes was Minnesota Fats, the pool,player. Met him on an airplane, not a nice man. Busted my bubble!
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #10

I met John Madden at the Ritz lobby in Chicago a couple of years ago. Shook his hand, didn't think I would have a hand left. What a big man.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #11

Let's see, there's; Danny Glover, Henry Winkler, Ted Nugent, Vern Troyer, Johnny Benson Jr, Adam Savage and Jamie Hinamen. Sorry about some of the spelling
Not_So_Mini-Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
BB

At the airport in Austin Texas got to shake hands with Bill Clinton. While in College Station, Texas got to meet George Bush senior. As a kid got to meet Nolan Ryan.
Rotorhead102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #13

Robin Williams and Mario Andretti. Robin is very hairy for real and Mario is a tiny, tiny man. Didn't bother Mario, his car wouldn't start after a tire change and he was furious!!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #14

Lou Gosset Jr (think top gun) on my wedding day. My husband met will Ferrell in the bathroom at LAX.
Kathyrarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
"On the road again"

Having been in the radio business for 28 years...I've met plenty of the rich and famous. As manager of the Texas Rangers Radio Network for almost 10 years...I really met some great baseball players with Nolan Ryan at the top of the list. For years I had Nolan's home and work (he owned a bank in Alvin, TX) numbers and had to work with him frequently on projects. Great guy...as nice as they come. Lots of other Texas Rangers players and a few opposing team players.

And, we also had a news/talk and country station with guests coming by frequently from the likes of Loretta Lynn to The Judds (mama is really nice - Wynona...not so much) to Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson and Waylon Jennings to politicians and movie stars.

The two biggest "pains" to deal with...Tanya Tucker and LeAnn Rimes. I'm firmly convinced that the younger they achieve stardom, the less I'm going to like them.

Now - my favorite story. Back in 1988 they were filming a movie at Billy Bob's Texas and our country radio station helped bring in "crowds" for the filming. I got to meet all the stars of that movie (Willie Nelson, Lesley Ann Warren, Peter Coyote, Swoosie Kurtz) along with a young actress who seemed scared to death and out of place.

We visited frequently over the 3 days of filming and later I got an autographed copy of the script for helping out.

Honestly...it wasn't until I was re-watching that '88 movie probably in 2000 or later that I realized who that starlet was that spent so much time chatting with me...Julia Roberts.

The vast majority of all the celebrities that I've met have been really good people. A few...I've never had any desire to deal with again.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 AM   #16
Site Team

Hey, I'm from Louisiana.....everyone here (except me) has their own tv show nowadays. The Duck Commander people are less than a half mile away from the shop and we service several of their tires so we see them all the time. LOL

I can remember as a young teenager visiting Opryland, and this was when they had performers in the park itself. I got to meet Ray Stevens and Barbara Mandrell (still have a pic she took with me somewhere).

Lou, you need to read my sig line. It may help you out in the future.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #17

31 years of commercial flying with Continental Airline - 10 years of that out of L.A.

Bob Six, CEO of Continental for 45 years, was married to Audrey Meadows (!) - a 1st class Hollywood bee-ach - they would do obnoxious/low class things like throw dinner rolls at the Flight Attendants if they weren't fresh or dump ice cream on the 1st class carpet if not frozen hard enough - a real class act, those two (not) - they would sit in seats A & B, row 6 (Audrey & Bob Six - cute, huh ?)

countless celebs over the years - from

sports figures (and sports team charters) :

-Ilie nasty Nastase - a true jerk - showed up for a flight out of LA after a tournament, in his warm-up suit, without showering
-the Minnesoto Vikings returning to Minneapolis after a game, trashed the airplane by urinating and deficating all over the cabin interior, tearing off restroom doors, ripping seats and breaking seatbacks - so trashed that the normal cabin cleaning crew wouldn't enter the airplane
houston rockets : leaving LA had the aircraft catered with really good "Soul Food" - Pork Chops in a Raisin Gravy and Sweet Tater Pie (all sports team charters have really good catering)

hollywood types : Bob Denver (Gilligan) is remembered by me as a really nice fellow

astro-nots : frank borman, an obnoxious, pathetic little man

ex-Presidents : Geo HW Bush, a nice enough fellow

tv : my Wife, an active Flight Attendant, says that ann curry (recently fired NBC "Today" anchor) is a totally obnoxious ....., er, poor excuse for a human being

could go on but too many to list

when I 1st signed on with the Airline I started collecting autographs but soon discovered that my family didn't want them and I didn't, so meeting celebs became nothing more than a casual comment over a family dinner

I've discovered, over the years, that family and friends are my heros.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #18

1. The late Queen Mum -was inspected by her as part of a military honour guard in the early eighties.

2. The late Princess Diana -was part (a very peripheral part) of her security detail when she came to Canada in the early nineties.

I didn't get the chance to speak to either lady though.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
Broken Toe

My wife works with David Surkamp, who/is was lead singer of the 70's rock band Pavlov's Dog.

Apparently they were on the verge of being a huge thing back in the day, and they are still pretty popular in Europe and Japan. It kinda freaks me out when a fan recognizes him and gets all worked up. To me, he is just David, a nice, if slightly loopy guy.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #20

I was Lance Armstrong's driver for the Indy 500 for the two days he was in Indiana. I've met Penn and Teller, Adam West, David Hasslehoff (got to sit in Kitt when the car was touring in the shows) The woman that played the wife in the movie "Ray" and was also in the movie "Legally blonde" (she asked if i want an autograph but her friends were so misbehaved i declined). A band called staind their bus drivers were very cool and had great stories. A few others but i had to sign agreements with those so i cant say.
joelochi is offline   Reply With Quote