Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #11

Just returned from our trip to Italy and here are just a few quick thoughts. I surprised myself and was able to climb the 294 steps to the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa without much effort. Highlight of the trip for me was the general audience with the Pope and a Papal Blessing at the Vatican. Small canals in Venice have a slightly unpleasant odor and have a lot of crap floating around. We saw some unbelievable artwork in glass on the Island of Murano. We did so much in the two and half weeks we were there I'll have to consult my notes to remember everything.

Pizza may have been invented in Italy, but it was perfected in America. BTW, pizza is brought to the table in one whole piece and you only have a butter knife to slice it with. If I ever go back to Italy I'll bring a pizza cutter with me.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
... If I ever go back to Italy I'll bring a pizza cutter with me.
Yeah, good luck with that! Just explain to the TSA screeners that you'll bring them a slice of pepperoni, and I'm sure they'll let you right through.

Glad to hear you had a great trip!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #13

Don't get me started on the TSA. I think I've flown for the last time for quite awhile. When we returned to the USA via Charlotte, NC we had to be rescreened through security, SOP. This time we had to go through a full body scanner which meant I had to take my money belt off and take my wallet out of my pocket and send it through the XRay while I was scanned. To say that I was not a happy camper being seperated from my passport and money is an understatement.

Fortunately the remaining items on my bucket list are here in this country so I won't have to deal with the TSA for quite awhile.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #14

I work 28 and 28 over seas. If it takes me going thru a scanner to be safe. I'll do it. Hell I could careless if they want everyone naked. Sure much better than someone bring a bomb on plane.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
I work 28 and 28 over seas. If it takes me going thru a scanner to be safe. I'll do it. Hell I could careless if they want everyone naked. Sure much better than someone bring a bomb on plane.
X2, before retiring, went thru the scanners at least 6-8 times a week for over 3 yrs and logged over 499,000 miles on Delta.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #16

Glad you had a good trip. My wife and I have been to Germany 3 times, in the last 5 years and used the rail system to travel from city to city. We tried to get enough time to take a train to Rome twice, but never managed to make the trip. I guess we will have to take a trip to the Rome area as it's own adventure.

It is a shame you can spend two weeks in Europe for less money than one week at Disney (if you fly coach). We have become spoiled to business, so the trips cost a little more, but the comfort is worth the extra cost.

We love to roam the east coast, from Baltimore to Key West. I climb lighthouses as a challenge to myself. One of these days we are going to go north of Baltimore, I long to hit Maine and that region.

Headed over to the Outer Banks next month for our annual deep sea fishing excursion. Of course I will push my big booty up a lighthouse or three while there.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #17

Steps in Pisa Tower

I found the 294 steps in the Leaning Tower of Pisa to be much easier to go up than to come down on. The many centuries of footsteps on them have made the stone steps very worn and uneven in places. Here's a photo of the last few steps to the top of the tower.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #18

Those are some really bad steps!

I would have a hard time with those as well. I find that down is more difficult than up in lighthouses, hurts my knees.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #19

Welcome home to Oakman& HDW!!! Again--I will start looking for that Silverback at campgrounds in and around Missouri!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #20

Wow I've never had so much trouble with jet-lag and a time change. I've been a zombie for over a week and yesterday was the first day I felt like my old self. I guess my age is starting to catch up with me.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788