Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Site Team

Camp Store

In the process of setting up new camp store at campground. What items do you expect to be available at a med size camp store?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

This list could get very long
IMHO,
1. TP, seems like every time we go with friends, they run out or forget to pack it. I make sure we always have enough
2. Fire starters, such as Duraflame
3. paper plates, plasticware
Just a few ideas off the top of my head

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #3

Water hose, filters, pressure reducers and assorted fresh water fittings
Sewer hose - mid price range and adapters and fittings
LP regulator - LP stuff
Electrical Dogbones and 30/50 adapters both up and down
Gizmos Gimcracks and Whizbangs to catch the ladies eye.
Kiddy stuff

Bacon, eggs, milk, pancake mix, hot dogs, buns, bacon, bread, bacon, butter, cooking oil, bacon, salt, pepper , spices, bacon some canned goods.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #4

Some basic RV repair items:

Assorted tapes, (Duct, Electrical)
Dish and laundry soaps
Keurig coffee

Like Shinny said this could get long. :-)
Old 01-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Site Team

1.Fresh water hose
2. Sewer hose
3. 30 and 50 amp power adapters, extension cords
4. water pressure regulator
5. chocks
6. propane tanks exchange (if possible/feasible), and 1lb disposable propane bottles for grills.
7. toilet chemicals
8. soap/towels and other bath/shower accessories..including a few flip-flop shoe sizes if there are campground showers as well as mini toothpaste/toothbrush items. Possibly razors and shaving cream too.
9. Maybe some outdoor and indoor game stuff. Playing cards, frisbees.
10. Canned dog and cat food, as well as poop bags for the pets.
11. Maybe Coleman fuel for all their lantern and stove related items. Coleman lantern mantles.

and

BATTERIES------all sizes

P.S. did I mention batteries.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #6

Ice & firewood

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #7

Sounds like setting up a Wal Mart.
pvillebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #8

Butter, milk, s'mores stuff, small propane bottles, 6.99 12 pk of Coke, bug spray, squirt guns, frisbees, benedryl, Tylenol, fuses, can koozies, levelers blocks, dog wAste bags, pepto, cheap kids flashlights,

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #9

Beer!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Beer!!!
Finally
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
Retired May 2015

Blue plastic tarps, bungee cords, bbq lighter. Extra tents stakes. Briquettes and starter fluid. Hot dog/marshmallow sticks. Ice cream, secondary to the bacon request. If a small lake, pond or creek is closeby a small selection of fishing tackle. Ball caps and tee shirts. Outgrown the building yet? Good luck.
Retired 4/30/15
Traveling with new pup "Sammie". Boston Bull Terrier/chihuahua (Bo-huahua). Pronounced Bow wow wow.
dwcjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
...Bacon, eggs, milk, pancake mix, hot dogs, buns, bacon, bread, bacon, butter, cooking oil, bacon, salt, pepper , spices, bacon some canned goods.
Don't forget about the BACON!

I tend to overpack. However, just this year my youngest was sent to go brush his teeth. It was quite seconds after he walked into the bathroom, which never happens. 2 minutes of quiteness later he came out and with a low tone told us he had dropped the toothpaste in the toilet AFTER taking the lid off and had tried to dry it off and use it but just couldn't. Well what did I do next?.... I started laughing my head off ... grabbed my wallet and walked to the camp store and bought not one tube of toothpaste but TWO! You can't buy camping memories like that!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Basic food items like cereal, milk, eggs, hot dogs, buns (hot dog and hamburger), syrup, butter, bread, ice, ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise, peanut butter and jelly, snores supplies, and some nibbly stuff like chips and candy. Don't forget the bacon!

Paper goods like paper towels, paper plates, paper bowls, plastic silverware.

Basic toiletries like toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, soap, shampoo, conditioner (or combo), and a razor. Tampons and pads. Some Tylenol, cold medicine, ibuprofen, bandaids, and triple antibiotic ointment, maybe calamine lotion if you have a lot of poison ivy at the campground.

Basic camping supplies/rv repair/hardware store items like fresh water hose, sewer hose, fuses, light bulbs, duct tape, eternabond, propane refill, little propane tanks, batteries (AAA, AA, C, D), folding chairs, flashlights, matches, lighters, wood, fire starter packs/logs, little bags of charcoal, and lighter fluid

Some general interest items like kids toys/games, camp or local town t-shirts, sweatshirts and hats, some cute decorative stuff for a campsite like awning lights, local craft items etc

You don't need to have a large stock of these items or even more than one type of most things (ie one brand of syrup). Try to think of things commonly forgotten when camping or what people would need were something to break/quit working (ie water hose leaking, sewer hose cracked, blew a fuse etc).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Not quite what you asked for, but this is as close as I may ever get to blow a little steam about a related topic...

I, for one, would very much appreciate you keeping your food products fresher than the typical campground stores do. Not talking about apples and bananas, but commonly overlooked items like soda, beer, canned goods, condiments (anyone mention those yet?), etc. There isn't much I find less appealing than an 8 year old dusty can of fruit cocktail stuck to the shelf, complete with it's faded label. If you're going to have DSD items where you're at, it won't cost you anything to get dated items replaced....just stay on top of your sales reps.

I apologize for the unsolicited advice!
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:58 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Not quite what you asked for, but this is as close as I may ever get to blow a little steam about a related topic...

I, for one, would very much appreciate you keeping your food products fresher than the typical campground stores do. Not talking about apples and bananas, but commonly overlooked items like soda, beer, canned goods, condiments (anyone mention those yet?), etc. There isn't much I find less appealing than an 8 year old dusty can of fruit cocktail stuck to the shelf, complete with it's faded label. If you're going to have DSD items where you're at, it won't cost you anything to get dated items replaced....just stay on top of your sales reps.

I apologize for the unsolicited advice!

My best guess is that it is outdated because it didn't sell. Yet, those things were on the lists above. It's a conundrum.

We rarely buy anything from the camp stores. Cute t-shirts if they're affordable.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #16

The only things I appreciate a camp store having are RV related products. TP, water hoses, sewer hoses and connections, electrical adapters, etc. I don’t expect a camp store to be a grocery store nor do I care if it carries tourist items.

We rarely buy from a camp store but we have purchased over-priced firewood on occasion. Oh, how could I forget, we did buy wine from the camp store at Pin Oak Creek RV park.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Beer!!!
I'm totally with him.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbs View Post
i'm totally with him.
x3

x4

x5
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #19
(Dry Huunday)

Beer. More Beer and ice!

Seriously though I think I would limit the "food" items due to the problems mentioned. I know the DW packs the pantry pretty well and if we do need something we will stop at a grocery store.
As others have mentioned, a few RV supplies and paper goods are essential.
And maybe some post cards of the local area...some people still like the ole snail mail!!

Good Luck!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #20

It all depends on how close a convenience store is to the CG. If a person has to drive 1/2 hour or more to a store then you should have more items. The store at the CG we stay at has a full RV supply section that has every thing from fuses to gas and water fittings. The also have chemical for the toilet, extra electrical cords and adapters. they also have cheap sewer hoses and the top of the line sewer hoses. They might only have one or two of each item but they try to keep a area that will help you if an item breaks in you unit. They also sell sunshades for the awning. They also have a small but well stocked food section. They also have a small $1.00 store section. Plus if you are a fulltimer at their CG you get 15% discount on all RV parts. The prices are the same as the local RV dealership because he deals with the same supplier.If a part is needed and not in stock he can have it for you with in 3 days.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote