Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #1

Campfires

DW and I are camped in the country's largest Ponderosa Pine Forest, located in AZ, at 7300' elev., the town we're in is Pinetop. We're about 200 miles ENE of the Yarnell Fire - the one that killed 19 firefighters.

Though we may not be Arizonans, we watched the news with our hearts weighing as heavily as those who are. My request to any who read this is that you think before you light your charcoal grills or campfires. When you're through, ensure they're OUT, no hot areas left before you turn in.

I realize neither was the cause of this fire. But, those things are the cause of many fires. Really, the people are the cause, not the fires we enjoy.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
DW and I are camped in the country's largest Ponderosa Pine Forest, located in AZ, at 7300' elev., the town we're in is Pinetop. We're about 200 miles ENE of the Yarnell Fire - the one that killed 19 firefighters.

Though we may not be Arizonans, we watched the news with our hearts weighing as heavily as those who are. My request to any who read this is that you think before you light your charcoal grills or campfires. When you're through, ensure they're OUT, no hot areas left before you turn in.

I realize neither was the cause of this fire. But, those things are the cause of many fires. Really, the people are the cause, not the fires we enjoy.
Great point arjerram! God love all those affected by that horrible fire! Especially those brave firefighters!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #3

YES! I can not tell you how many people, not neccessarily RVer's, but people camping leave a hot campfire or throw their charcoal in the dry grass.

I was an Engine Supervisor on a Wildland Engine and those who died really shook me. I know there is a lot more to the story and we will soon find out when the investigation has been completed.

Some people are negligent, especially when they are used to cooler and wetter surroundings. Fire pits usually will retain heat down 12-18 inches below the ground and it can burn roots and start a fire outside of a fire ring.

Like I said, this usually does not apply to RVer's but make it a game if you have children to teach them the proper way to put out a camp fire. FYI, usually 5 gallons is not enough to dissipate all of the heat.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlygibbs View Post
YES! I can not tell you how many people, not neccessarily RVer's, but people camping leave a hot campfire or throw their charcoal in the dry grass.

I was an Engine Supervisor on a Wildland Engine and those who died really shook me. I know there is a lot more to the story and we will soon find out when the investigation has been completed.

Some people are negligent, especially when they are used to cooler and wetter surroundings. Fire pits usually will retain heat down 12-18 inches below the ground and it can burn roots and start a fire outside of a fire ring.

Like I said, this usually does not apply to RVer's but make it a game if you have children to teach them the proper way to put out a camp fire. FYI, usually 5 gallons is not enough to dissipate all of the heat.
Wow I did not know that! Great info grizzlygibbs!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #5

This may sound elementary to some, but when out on patrol, checking campsites it was always amazing to me to see how many fires got left. Some people are lazy, some are in a hurry, some do not know better, and some just do not care.

Better to make sure it is out by what ever method you can than to have it on your consciousness that you may have started a fire. You can even put it out with cool dirt (think of the moist, dark dirt) but it will take longer.

From SmokeyBear.com:

Allow the wood to burn completely to ash, if possible
Pour lots of water on the fire, drown ALL embers, not just the red ones
Pour until hissing sound stops
Stir the campfire ashes and embers with a shovel
Scrape the sticks and logs to remove any embers
Stir and make sure everything is wet and they are cold to the touch
If you do not have water, use dirt. Mix enough dirt or sand with the embers. Continue adding and stirring until all material is cool. Remember: do NOT bury the fire as the fire will continue to smolder and could catch roots on fire that will eventually get to the surface and start a wildfire.

Here is a great video from the USFS:

How To Start and Put Out a Campfire - YouTube

Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #6

Hi,

We camped at Orchard Springs in California a few weeks ago. We were there for 4 days. One day 2 a car pulled into the RV spot next to us. They got out and decided to spend there day pass in a rv spot. They swam, fished and cooked. I brought it to the attention of the gate keeper and he acknowledged it and said unless they space is reserved, they really don't monitor people unless they are there after dark. I should also note it was also a very windy day. They left right about the time we say down to eat our dinner around 6pm. All of a sudden, we looked over and the hill was on fire. We ran over with the most water we could possibly carry and put it out. We realized that they had dumped their burned charcoal right on the ground. It is people that are irresponsible that sometimes cause fires. They even did this when the site had a fire ring and a grill. It was a scary moment.
wifeytojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

Prime example. Now, if the host, or gatekeeper would have done their job and at least took their license plate, those people could have been charged! Glad everyone was ok!

Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeytojosh View Post
Hi,

We camped at Orchard Springs in California a few weeks ago. We were there for 4 days. One day 2 a car pulled into the RV spot next to us. They got out and decided to spend there day pass in a rv spot. They swam, fished and cooked. I brought it to the attention of the gate keeper and he acknowledged it and said unless they space is reserved, they really don't monitor people unless they are there after dark. I should also note it was also a very windy day. They left right about the time we say down to eat our dinner around 6pm. All of a sudden, we looked over and the hill was on fire. We ran over with the most water we could possibly carry and put it out. We realized that they had dumped their burned charcoal right on the ground. It is people that are irresponsible that sometimes cause fires. They even did this when the site had a fire ring and a grill. It was a scary moment.
That could have turned out horribly! Way to go wifeytojosh!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #9

Glad we were there to catch it before it got worse! And where we were camping is in the mountains with very tall pines and cedars. Yikes!!
wifeytojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeytojosh View Post
Hi,

Wow! Unreal. Thanks to everyone for their campfire tips and to remind us of the dangers of unattended, non-dampened fires.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I have seen campers take large tree trunks and put them in their fire to keep it burning while they go out on their boat in the water. This was at a wooded state park on the water (Lake Jordan in NC) and during a relatively dry summer. I pointed it out to the camp host hoping to get a ranger to respond but instead I got, "It was left in a controlled fashion and isn't hurting anything so it is ok". Really????? So when an ash catches a nearby leaf or twig and sparks a fire who is putting it out? Needless to say, we stayed near our camper that whole weekend so we could keep an eye on someone else's campfire.

Another reminder, when having a campfire or a charcoal grill keep a couple of gallon jugs or a large bucket already filled with water and at an easy to reach spot in case of emergency. I have never needed it but will be glad to have it in easy reach if I ever do need it!!!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Another pet peeve of mine is how many campgrounds will place the fire rings really close to a tree, where a trailer awning will go or right on top of another rig (think tight, narrow spots). When I park my rig, I always pay attention to where the ring is and if we are allowed to move it or if it is where it has to be. If it is not a moveable ring or is in a good spot in relation to trees/bushes etc, then I pay attention to how I park my truck and trailer so they are not right on top of the campfire. An ash on your awning could really ruin your trip!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Another pet peeve of mine is how many campgrounds will place the fire rings really close to a tree, where a trailer awning will go or right on top of another rig (think tight, narrow spots). When I park my rig, I always pay attention to where the ring is and if we are allowed to move it or if it is where it has to be. If it is not a moveable ring or is in a good spot in relation to trees/bushes etc, then I pay attention to how I park my truck and trailer so they are not right on top of the campfire. An ash on your awning could really ruin your trip!
Very true anaro! I really have learned a lot from this thread! Especially how easy it is to leave a campfire still hot and dangerous! My GF loves campfires and I never paid attention to how she puts it out. I think she even goes to bed with it still burning! I will soooooo be mindful from now on!