Old 04-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #1

Campgrounds....

So, all this camping talk had me wanting to go check out some campgrounds!

I've not done a ton of county, state, federal campgrounds and the few I've done had left much to be desired. So, after reading your posts, I decided if you were finding wonderful places, I should be able to as well!

This afternoon, DH and I did drive thrus on 3 campgrounds. Lithia Springs County Park, Medard Park, and Alafia State Park.

Alafia was the winner, hands down, nice and secluded, blissfully quiet, well maintained, large distanced campsites and a beautiful lake to enjoy to boot. $24 a nite

Lithia was second, this one's on the Alafia River so comes with the ability to canoe, etc plus there's a nice spring to cool off in. $22 a nite

Medard is a nice park but the cg was too small. Sites were almost like a parking lot. No thanks......

Do you guys keep track of your campgrounds, favorite sites, etc or do you just fly by the seat of your pants, so to speak?

Old 04-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #2

You can review campgrounds here

Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews
This gives you a good idea of what others rate the CG's, also can get the website of them also. so far has been very helpful.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
H2oski

In the panhanle of Fl Top Sail, Henderson S.P. You won't be disapointed.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #4

Yes, we do keep track of local campgrounds that we like. We walk the campground with a pad of paper and look over each site and then rate the site. Our rating system is simple, good with a little star, good, OK, and bad.

Good with a little star means a perfect site and we always try to reserve one of these sites.
Good means we prefer that site but it's not perfect.
OK means there are some small things we didn't like about the site but it will work for us.
Bad mean exactly that. We always write a note why it was a bad site such as, low hanging tree branches, severe uphill or downhill grade, too narrow for our opposing slides, etc.

There are some campgrounds that I take photos of the sites to remind me what they look like. It doesn't take long before you have a library of campgrounds and sites that you prefer.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Camper Less Camping

We are always looking for new campgrounds when we don't visit our favorites...when we find a potential new CG to try, we'll research the reviews on it, advice from forum members that have been there, the CG's own website and will always search YouTube for campers that post their outing (sometimes you get the best feel about a CG from here).
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Just my opinion

Absolutely! We keep track of which one's we've been to, does it warrant going back to again, etc. We have a couple of favorites so far - Tomoka SP and Gold Head SP. We've been to Tomoka a few times now, and we liked Gold Head so much, we're going back there for a week the day after Xmas. We reserve our stays through the end of year, and we're going to some parks for the 1st time. We also know which parks are close to the B&M so we can do a spur of the minute quick trip.

We haven't checked out any county parks yet.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2013 - days engaged in camping so for... (28)
normh915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenic53 View Post
You can review campgrounds here

Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews
This gives you a good idea of what others rate the CG's, also can get the website of them also. so far has been very helpful.
X2 We use this site as well but as always got to take some of the complaints with a grain of salt.................& a lot also depends on how old the review is......have found a few campgrounds that we would not know about any other way...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

We've been looking at campgrounds lately too. Went to one am hour away last night and it wasn't worth the gas it was all dirt and mud at the campground and everything was so close together I don't know how some people got their travel trailers in there. So far I've found that the state campgrounds are better kept and have level sites, black topped, etc. Also I really like the KOA's but on some i would like it to be out in the wilderness a little more.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
X2 We use this site as well but as always got to take some of the complaints with a grain of salt.................& a lot also depends on how old the review is......have found a few campgrounds that we would not know about any other way...........

Positively on the grain of salt. Nothing beats a personal visit. We heard word of mouth bashing about 1 sp, but when we went there, we loved it!

Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Yes, we do keep track of local campgrounds that we like. We walk the campground with a pad of paper and look over each site and then rate the site. Our rating system is simple, good with a little star, good, OK, and bad.

Good with a little star means a perfect site and we always try to reserve one of these sites.
Good means we prefer that site but it's not perfect.
OK means there are some small things we didn't like about the site but it will work for us.
Bad mean exactly that. We always write a note why it was a bad site such as, low hanging tree branches, severe uphill or downhill grade, too narrow for our opposing slides, etc.

There are some campgrounds that I take photos of the sites to remind me what they look like. It doesn't take long before you have a library of campgrounds and sites that you prefer.
I like your simple rating system. Speaking of MO, our most favorite park - Meramec SP, with Washington SP a close second.