Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #1

Camping friends that frustrate: who else has them?

We have a friend that has camped more than us but is mechanically declined. Every time something is "wrong" he calls me for my opinion. So I convince him to purchase a PI 50 amp unit, hard start capacitor and an inverter to run tv while dry camping and driving. He ended up buying the 30 amp PI unit and said well I'm not getting rid of this unit- so I installed it all being good person and all. All that stuff has been in for a month and he calls me to say he just bought a 36' Winnie! And if I can transfer all the stuff I put in! 😡

I'm thinking in busy that weekend!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Life would not be as interesting if friends just took our advice in the first place. Wouldn't it be easier for all to have the dealer to install it especially since you have 'other plans'?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #3

I don't mind helping my friends that are mechanically challenged but it must be in my time frame. Most want you to get up and do it now!!!!
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:41 AM   #4

A lesson I learned long ago...
A friend of mine worked at a shop that had a panel saw...I was wanting some cabinet doors cut out...just 6 or 8... I asked him about doing it about 3 times... Here was his answer the last time. "Chetty. I am going to put you at the top of my list. (Cool I said). Of the people who want something for free."

Many years and I have never forgotten

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 AM   #5

Yes, we should help fellow RV'ers out. I remember when I was starting out. In your case if your friend can afford a new rig then he certainly can afford paying the dealer to do the work.

Just tell him you don't have the time to do it......

Your call.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:59 AM   #6

If this were a family member you are talking about, I could understand the request. No friend of mine would ask this of me unless it involved some sort of meal and beverages as payback.

Bruce
Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 AM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I like most don't mine helping someone out but after a while it can get old after repeated request and all done for free. I think there is a point in time when you have to dig in and kindly refuse. I also would think if he is buying new then yep he can pay to have the equip reinstalled in his new unit. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

Sounds like a "user" to me. Not sure if you have the where with all to train him. Never help people like that, only offer this; tell him bluntly, No I won't do it for you, but I will show you how to do it. The point here is this, if he accepts, he is your friend, if he declines, he is a user.

Had a whole bunch of guys who knew I had the knowledge to do stuff, I offered that very scenario to them, all but one declined. Great friend now.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:59 AM   #9

I have this same issue with my 2 different neighbors. They seem to think every time something of theirs breaks I'm the one they call and want me to fix it (for free). They offer a beer as thanks. I've been to busy to help them these last 2 years cause the first 8 years was enough of being nice and helping. No help when I needed it is ever offered.

Had a new neighbor move in and I was boondocking in my pasture over this past Memorial day weekend. (He bought chickens and goats) He hollered for me from his fence that Friday afternoon, I tried to ignore him but to no avail. He wanted me to watch his chickens and goats a feed them twice a day for the next 7 days while they go out of town on vacation and let the chicken in and out of their coup everyday and night. Now this is while I and some friends were boondocking in my pasture. He had the gall to say "that's not going to be a problem is it" I replied "it will if I'm not here and don't have the time". He asked all this with no previous notice or concern for my holiday weekend and offered nothing in return for trying to mess up my holiday. Guess he figured I wasn't doing anything but camping. Think he's from the entitlement bunch of folks. I watched his animals anyway being the nice person I am and it was very in convent for me.
Last week he asked if he could use my $100k tractor to move dirt around. I laughed at him and told him "yes that will cost you $175 hr with a minimum 8 hour fee and I'm the only one that drives my John Deere. He said he couldn't afford that, I asked him what he thought it cost to own such a big piece of equipment he was asking to have free range over, I got no answer. I said guess its shovel time wear gloves. Think he gets the picture now. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #10

same here. Have neighbors and friends that are mechanically declined as well. I help when I can but like someone mentioned it's when I have time and doesn't conflict with what I'm trying to do. There are a select few that I will drop what I'm doing to help and also depends on what is needed at the time. Funny thing is no one ever helps me cause I typically don't want it or need it or I just don't like they way they do things, so I rather not frustrate myself.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #11

I learned a long time ago that you teach people how to treat you.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:03 AM   #12

My wife is my biggest problem with this topic. I don't know how many times I have walked through the door and she tells me her friend is on their way over for me to put brakes on their car. Or she works with this person that can't get her lawn mower started, so I need to go over to her house and get it started for her. The ones that piss me off is when these girls she is friends with have husbands or boyfriends.

She doesn't do do it as much now that I told her that every time she volunteers my services, she has to pay me back! And I'm not talking about money! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping