Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
$3500!!!! Back to the drawing board! That is a great stove but it misses the point with the high price.

Jaredinnwarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
A circulating fan is a must.

I had a wood stove in my trailer in the early 70's. The heat at head level would soar to near sauna temps with ones feet and low corners of the trailer staying frozen. A small fan mounted on the ceiling, pushing the hot air down, was the cure.

"If everything seems to be going well, look around, you've obviously overlooked something."
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
MI Camperz
Wow! Segregating yourself from society and living off the land...sounds "extreme". Good luck and enjoy.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
MI Camperz
p.s. I would listen to Herk....he's extremely knowledgeable on these forums. What he is saying makes sense. Is buying propane that much of an imposition on your independent lifestyle? Better to be safe than family, you mean children? Don't risk their health and life.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
not sure what you got planned there meets code

Originally Posted by Jaredinnwarkansas View Post

I would rip out the paneling from the entire kitchen and living area and put up 1/4 inch Sheetrock, preferably green board if I can find it. Around the stove I'd use cement board with synthetic stone or tile stuck to it. Would def have cement board on bottom as well but would probably use flagstone rather than lick em stick em rock.
I was at this wood burning stove store a few years back
they are the pros in all of San Diego County
not sure what you got planned there meets code
one call to these guys and they will tell you
exactly what you need

Farrell's Fireside Shop - Home

El Cajon, CA 92021 619-441- ... when it comes to a fireplace shop that you can trust, then let Farrell's Fireside Shop assure you that you've found the right place. ...
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #16
My uncle had a small potbelly wood burning stove in one of his TT with a 6" flue, double walled at the roof. I don't remember the make and model, but this was in the late 60's. He had put stainless steel on the wall behind it and to the side, plus on the floor. It was one of the many memories of my childhood of the many trips to the lake during the summers.
Ed & Laureen
2005 F-250 4X4 SD 6.0 Powerstroke
2009 Cherokee Wolf Pack 285wp (toy hauler version)
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #17
Dickinson Marine - Newport Solid Fuel Heater
Never enough camping!!
jonnys_walkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
Have you ever seen a RV burn. They burn fast and hot. I would not want to chance my live to an open flame inside the TT. If you really want to have wood heat I would consider adapting the outside furnace with hot water heat. It would be a lot safer and the flame would be away from the TT.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #19
My reply is that of a past Asst Fire Chief: Don't do it! To back up Lou's earlier post, as heat is added to material, it increases decomposition of that material. Many of the man made products emmit deadly gases as they change. Many of the poisonous gases have no color or taste. If there were to actually be a fire that was no longer contained in the stove, there is a high probability that you and your family would be overcome by the poisonous gases from the burning trailer construction material before you ever had a chance to escape.

Another big concern is that of CO poisoning and Oxygen consumption is such a small area. TT were not designed for that application.

Adding Sheetrock, bricks, wood stove, hope you never plan on moving the TT. That is a whole lot of weight in one area.

Please reconsider, sounds very, very dangerous! Much more so than the world we currently live in. IMHO.
Kirk, KN1B
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
2009 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
I got a chuckle that you are working to segregate yourself and your family from society by posting on a community forum. Ironic.

But, to help with your question, I also suggest that you consider an outside wood burning stove and piping the heat into your trailer.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote