Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #21

maybe you can rig up a wood burnner on the outside of the camper and just use the heat through your heater duck work, kind of like what i see up north they are a small shed like thing
maybe you can fab up a small protable one you take with you
i an so you could even find a few buyers when you get the bugs worked out
where there is a well there is a way

good luck

i know what you mean, this world is getting out of control.......

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #22

I think solar with electric heaters might be a viable option as well.

My intent is sustainability in a shtf situation. It's coming.
Jaredinnwarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #23

Jared, you seem to be one of the few on this planet who realises what is coming down the pipe. I agree that the 's**t' will hit the fan, and I agree that people need to prepare. Is there a specific reason you need a travel trailer rather than just building a cabin out in the woods somewhere? Campers were never intended to be lived in permanently, and it will rot and fall apart in no time. A well built cabin would last indefinitely, and you could have your wood heat and live very comfortably, and safely.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #24

All part of the plan crocus. Trailer ownership is a much more attainable goal for me right now than a sticks and stones house. Actually I've rented all my life until recently when I bought a house with my ex wife and she divorced me, now my credit is ruined and I have no full time work. So my only reasonable option is to get an affordable trailer ( on payments , owner financed) and work towards the cabin from there. And considering the instability of our society and the world in general nowadays I feel the need to overdo the contingency aspect of the plan. In other words how would I'd be a fool to put my time into a trailer with only shore power and gas heat, I feel it's likely that well have no infrastructure to rely on in the future. But nonetheless, I want my family to be warm and dry. Also I may reach a point and get stunted due to a lack of resources before I get a chance to claim a piece of land for myself. If that happens I'd like to be able to rough it wherever I happen to be camped.

If we lost all of our infrastructure how many would be just fine? And how many who think they've reached a small measure of preparedness would starve and freeze to death?

The infrastructure here in this country is among the best in the world, and I see it as just another control mechanism. Funny to think that only 200 years ago people were actually self sufficient. Compare that to now. Shutting down the infrastructure would be akin to genocide. Free your mind. Free your family from this invisible prison.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #25

The infrastructure will probably always be there, as the rich need heat and lights. The problem will be just how many will be able to afford it? The real economy, not what you see on the news, is in terrible shape. Not that it any comfort, but you are definitely not alone. With real unemployment in the US in the mid-teens, and fully one-half of all Americans on some form of government assistance, there is no way the present situation can continue. Something will have to give, and it won't come from the rich. The middle class will get hammered, and the poor will be forced into even more desperate situations.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation, and hope you can find a good job soon. Those ex-wives can be a life-destroyer, as someone I know just commited suicide as his ex-wife and her lawyer drove him right into the ground. The only good thing to come of it was the guy went prepared, and left everything to his parents and new girlfriend. The ex has no child support, no alimony, and no house. Serves the b***h right. I hope she is happy now.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #26

Amen croc, people oughta give those vows a little more thought before they jump into something they really don't give a damn about. Sorr, the bitterness seeps out, try as I might to contain it.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
good point made amxpress
how many times has a wood burning stove
ran us right out of the room ??

plenty

we all have seen the old style (very small) round type
kind of tall and slender
only hold a few ((little)) logs
one of those would be plenty I think in a trailer
less weight etc etc etc

Wood Stoves Approved for Mobile Homes | WoodlandDirect.com

a few years back I was needing
new pipes for our wood burner
quailty parts add up in price fast !!
I found out !!!
http://www.woodlanddirect.com

Mountainman
A mobile home is NOT a tow trailer. I can bet your insurance company would drop you faster than a hot coal for even thinking such a thing.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Thought briefly about deleting this whole thread, but as a "WSHTF" prepper myself, I feel it might deserve a place here on the forum (just not here in "modifications and updates").

I will move this thread to a more appropriate spot and re-title it to "Camping in a WSHTF situation." How about that?

JUST A WARNING - Limit discussions to the CAMPER, or the CAMPING LOCATION, not the politics here (banned topic).

There are MANY possible scenarios for WSHTF (and whether to prepare for that scenario or not). Please respect all forum users and watch the forum rules.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #29

Sounds good, herk.
As a lot of us probably started our camping "careers" as bare-bones tent campers, some thoughts about going back to the bare minimums might be appropriate.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Now a reply to Jared.

Glad you are at least thinking about the "what if" scenario and the "bare bones" survival retreat. Our fun toy camper also plays a SMALL roll in our family's bug out plan of action. Most campers during Katrina used theirs as their primary "bug out" vehicle to GREAT effect, yet others - not so much.

They saw the danger and hit the road automatically better prepared than 99% of the other evacuees. They had a roof over their heads, heat, fresh water, sanitation, and mobility (provided they had the foresight to move before the roads got too bad).

You must think also about "where to go." Most folks in rural America will not welcome you with open arms (even now) when you show up unannounced in your "bug out" home on wheels. They might just put a load of buckshot in your rig and tell you to move along (IF you are lucky).

Setting up a camper to be your PRIMARY Bug out method is DARN expensive (see excellent articles on boondocking here) and it sounds like you are more the "shoestring" operation. If so, you most likely will get SEVERAL loads of buckshot in your rig, rather than not. Believe me when I say that "casting about" looking for a home in a "bug out" situation has hazards you have most likely never thought about.

Having several pre-selected locations with friends ALREADY there farming provides you with the WSHTF security you are looking for. You will have already met them, camped on their property, shown them you have skills they need, shown them you have assets they lack (and can bring along) and is located within a tank of gas (augmented with full cans if needed - diesel keeps almost forever) of your home or storage location.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #31

Kudos to all that herk. What are some of these possible unthought of hazards to casting about looking for a camping spot. Just wondering. I hope to keep my casting about to a minimum.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredinnwarkansas View Post
Kudos to all that herk. What are some of these possible unthought of hazards to casting about looking for a camping spot. Just wondering. I hope to keep my casting about to a minimum.
The first that immediately comes to mind is your unstated assumption that you can just set up camp anywhere you please for free.

TANSTAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As Free Lunch (Robert Heinlein)

First off just about all land in the lower 48 is owned by someone. They may or may not appreciate some squatter showing up and using up resources owned by them. Even BLM land is owned by the BLM (Bureau of land Management). They don't like squatters any more than any one else does.

National and State Forests should be avoided at all costs since most folks will think they are ideal spots and head there. Without full time guards and State Trooper backup, limited access and egress will make them death traps for the solo squatter.

State Game Lands would at first glance be ideal. However even a cursory inspection would show they are located near folks who would resent you living in the "King's Forest." There is a large one smack dab between our primary location and a local hunting club who I assure you would would police their side as assiduously as we will be policing ours. We are also members BTW. (a "sunk cost").

Others may have other ideas, but I think the "romance" of your logic will soon be overcome by the reality.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #33

Unstated assumption huh? You know what they say about assume, makes an ASS out of U and ME.

All common sense stuff herk. I'll be fine. Funny thing about us underdogs, we tend to be very tenacious.

Romantic? I don't even know how to respond to that. Bein just a poor dumbass kid and all.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredinnwarkansas View Post
Unstated assumption huh? You know what they say about assume, makes an ASS out of U and ME.

All common sense stuff herk. I'll be fine. Funny thing about us underdogs, we tend to be very tenacious.

Romantic? I don't even know how to respond to that. Bein just a poor dumbass kid and all.
Jared, I did not mean to presume you had not "done your homework." If you have, I totally apologize. Just thought I would mention that "overdogs" can be quite tenacious too. An ounce of prevention is all.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #35

Just remember. There ain't nutin' north of the American border but icicles, igloos, snowmen and hungry bears.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #36

Sorry herk, just a little sensitive to condescending behavior directed towards me or others. A little is understandable, I'm totally guilty of it myself. I've just had to deal w so much of it lately and the result is getting stuck in a bad situation wondering why I can't seem to learn to trust my gut and not get involved w people like that in the first place. Almost always hallmarked by the typical patroniization that thay cant seem to contain, and i always try to give folks the benefit of doubt, much to my chagrin. So there's a little grudge there.

But you're cool herk, guess it's just a knee-jerk reaction. My bad.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #37

The big issue will be food, not the availability of it, but the affordability. Most have lost the knowledge required to be truly self-sufficient.
So even if one could find a place to hide out, they would still require some form of income in order to buy food.
With the government faced with the choice between cutting expenditures, or printing greenbacks to pay the bills, they will no doubt opt for printing money by the trillions, and that will bring on deflation of the currency, and that will be reflected in inflation, massive inflation.

And the money available through social support programs will not keep up with inflation, so the less fortunate will see their circumstances continue to deteriorate.

I really am concerned for the segment of society that the rich want to pretend not to exist. There should not be people facing such hardship in what is supposed to be such a great nation.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #38

Dang croc keep all that reality to urself. Lol
Old 12-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
Just remember. There ain't nutin' north of the American border but icicles, igloos, snowmen and hungry bears.
Sorry, but many great BO locations are north of the border.

Getting there could be problematic, however. (Especially dragging your bug out home behind you.) Purchasing your BO land along the northern border is a strategic decision with lots of merit. Not my first choice as I could not get there "on a tank of gas." Additionally, unless you know them very well, most Canadians would also feel "put out" by a large influx of hungry Zombies from the states. (See buckshot comment below)

Also most scenarios requiring relocation will most likely also involve our northern neighbor.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #40
Site Team - Lou

Jared,
There are a few parks very close to home for you. Ozarks is just down the road and Lake sequoyah to name two.

I have flown into Cecil Smith Field several times in my career and the area is a good one for a "Shelter in Place" strategy.

Find a farmer with similar interests and make nice.