Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #1

Camping in a "WSHTF" situation

Would like to see pics, hear ideas, experiences about a wood stove in a TT. Flat top stove would seem to be the way to go.
Jaredinnwarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #2

as a hot puff of smoke !!!

my grandfather did something like that
in a way anyway
he has his on some sliding platform kind of a THING
long story
bottom line
the Fire Marshal would have not been impressed

sorry back to you here
for starters you will need to plan on
reinforcing the roof where exhaust pipe exits
fact
we probably do not wish to cut through
a supporting member up there ??
extra floor support may also be needed
fire proff backing and flooring ((A MUST ))

wood burning stoves also call for a safty zone
nothing close within 3 to 4 feet ???

I have one now (at home)
and have enjoyed others
as we know most are rather heavy !

what comes to mind most is the space needed
around a wood burning stove
it really is a lot

if you carry insurance ??
and they happen to get wind of this
plan on them being gone
as a hot puff of smoke !!!

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #3

I've never seen it done in a TT before. Seems there would be LOTS of heat in a small area. Also, with a large flame like that, flying sparks in a TT could be hazardous to your health.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #4

ran us right out of the room

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Seems there would be LOTS of heat in a small area.

good point made amxpress
how many times has a wood burning stove
ran us right out of the room ??

plenty

we all have seen the old style (very small) round type
kind of tall and slender
only hold a few ((little)) logs
one of those would be plenty I think in a trailer
less weight etc etc etc

Wood Stoves Approved for Mobile Homes | WoodlandDirect.com

a few years back I was needing
new pipes for our wood burner
quailty parts add up in price fast !!
I found out !!!
http://www.woodlanddirect.com

Mountainman
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredinnwarkansas View Post
Would like to see pics, hear ideas, experiences about a wood stove in a TT. Flat top stove would seem to be the way to go.
This is an extremely dangerous idea.

You will NOT be able to get insurance on the trailer and could be on the hook for the entire loss if you failed to disclose or remove it. (assuming you survive the inevitable fire at all).

The walls are made of THIN plywood covering Styrofoam in the newer campers. Any concentrated heat will cause damage to the walls.

AT THE LEAST, the Styrofoam will release poisonous fumes from the heating process.

I just sold my BIL's single wide mobile home in Alaska (not mobile - no axles or tongue) and he had installed a VERY small wood stove in a corner of the living room. It was an EXCELLENT installation job. He had covered the walls with a fireproof material and had a floor of cement board covered with brick veneer (1/4 inch brick slices) under it.

All gone now.
The buyer could NOT get insurance until it was ripped out.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #6

if you really have to have one

Inventor creates wood-burning stove for RVs

Greg Gerber posted on October 27, 2011 14:43

BURTON, Wash. -- Two years ago Bridget and Roger Lehet were living on a 30-foot boat with their daughter in what they thought was absolute poverty. Out of necessity they invented a multi-fueled wood cook stove, originally designed for the boat, but also perfect for any small space such as yurts, RVs, cabins, or any other place where portable heating and cooking are required.
The stove's compact design, measuring 30 inches tall with a 10-inch diameter, allows it to be installed with very little footprint, while its burn technology offers plenty of useable heat with little to no visible emission, said Bridget Lehet.
One of the key features which make this stove unique is its portability. Weighing only 80 pounds, and utilizing a 3-inch chimney system vented through the RV's roof, this complete unit can be deployed in minutes, possibly for disaster relief efforts.
Another unique feature is the patent-pending secondary combustion system which recycles exhaust gasses from the primary fire by re-burning them at temperatures of up to 1,600 F which completely incinerates all carcinogenic smoke particles before they become pollution, she explained.
This also allows the Kimberly Stove to operate on very little fuel. For winter heating, a 5-pound extruded sawdust log will provide enough heat to keep the average boat or RV warm and cozy for at least 8 hours, and provide more than 1,100 F for cooking.
For spring and fall use, one pound of standard charcoal will run this stove at a lower heat range for up to 12 hours.
Flexibility of fuel types is another unique feature of the Kimberly stove. The firebox and all areas of high temperature and corrosive exposure are constructed completely of type 316L high temperature stainless steel.
"This allows users to select fuels other stoves can’t burn such as salt water drift wood, charcoal and coal," said Bridget. "Soon we will be able to offer the ability to use pellets, gasses and oils, such as bio diesel.

Inventor creates wood-burning stove for RVs > RV Daily Report |
Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Not my idea of "pretty" but if your goal is "free living off the land" it might work. I would run this buy my insurance company in any case. (Unless of course your rig is paid off and you don't want/need insurance.)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
DDC

When I was a kid in the 50's my parents had trailers and they all had coal/ wood fire places in them, that was in the UK where you needed heat all year round the biggest problem I remember was trying to control the condensation.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
This is an extremely dangerous idea.
X2!!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #10

I'm cheap

Free heat is the goal. Paying for insurance might cause me to hafta go into town more often to make money. Like many of you, I just want to segregate myself and family from this poisoned society as much as possible.

That stainless stove looks pretty nice. Being as small as it is, it would stick out in the room less allowing for more living space to be utilized.

And yes I realize everything needs to be very fireproof. Ive got a construction background but that doesnt dictate that I know about wood stoves. However I'm sure I can do something that's safe. I was thinking prior to installing stove I would rip out the paneling from the entire kitchen and living area and put up 1/4 inch Sheetrock, preferably green board if I can find it. Around the stove I'd use cement board with synthetic stone or tile stuck to it. Would def have cement board on bottom as well but would probably use flagstone rather than lick em stick em rock. The brick floor is cool too just a bit more labor intensive and disturbs the rock fireplace look that seems the cheapest/easiest.

I've seen alot of stoves with the pipe ran out thru the wall, I would prefer this method of venting unless there is some inherent flaw w it. Don't wanna mess up the roof til I'm ready for a complete rebuild.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #11

$3500!!!! Back to the drawing board! That is a great stove but it misses the point with the high price.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #12

A circulating fan is a must.

I had a wood stove in my trailer in the early 70's. The heat at head level would soar to near sauna temps with ones feet and low corners of the trailer staying frozen. A small fan mounted on the ceiling, pushing the hot air down, was the cure.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
MI Camperz

Wow! Segregating yourself from society and living off the land...sounds "extreme". Good luck and enjoy.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
MI Camperz

p.s. I would listen to Herk....he's extremely knowledgeable on these forums. What he is saying makes sense. Is buying propane that much of an imposition on your independent lifestyle? Better to be safe than sorry....by family, you mean children? Don't risk their health and life.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #15

not sure what you got planned there meets code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredinnwarkansas View Post

I would rip out the paneling from the entire kitchen and living area and put up 1/4 inch Sheetrock, preferably green board if I can find it. Around the stove I'd use cement board with synthetic stone or tile stuck to it. Would def have cement board on bottom as well but would probably use flagstone rather than lick em stick em rock.
I was at this wood burning stove store a few years back
they are the pros in all of San Diego County
not sure what you got planned there meets code
one call to these guys and they will tell you
exactly what you need

MM

Farrell's Fireside Shop - Home

www.farrellsfiresideshop.com

El Cajon, CA 92021 619-441- ... when it comes to a fireplace shop that you can trust, then let Farrell's Fireside Shop assure you that you've found the right place. ...
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #16

My uncle had a small potbelly wood burning stove in one of his TT with a 6" flue, double walled at the roof. I don't remember the make and model, but this was in the late 60's. He had put stainless steel on the wall behind it and to the side, plus on the floor. It was one of the many memories of my childhood of the many trips to the lake during the summers.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #17

Dickinson Marine - Newport Solid Fuel Heater
Old 12-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #18

Have you ever seen a RV burn. They burn fast and hot. I would not want to chance my live to an open flame inside the TT. If you really want to have wood heat I would consider adapting the outside furnace with hot water heat. It would be a lot safer and the flame would be away from the TT.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #19

My reply is that of a past Asst Fire Chief: Don't do it! To back up Lou's earlier post, as heat is added to material, it increases decomposition of that material. Many of the man made products emmit deadly gases as they change. Many of the poisonous gases have no color or taste. If there were to actually be a fire that was no longer contained in the stove, there is a high probability that you and your family would be overcome by the poisonous gases from the burning trailer construction material before you ever had a chance to escape.

Another big concern is that of CO poisoning and Oxygen consumption is such a small area. TT were not designed for that application.

Adding Sheetrock, bricks, wood stove, hope you never plan on moving the TT. That is a whole lot of weight in one area.

Please reconsider, sounds very, very dangerous! Much more so than the world we currently live in. IMHO.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I got a chuckle that you are working to segregate yourself and your family from society by posting on a community forum. Ironic.

But, to help with your question, I also suggest that you consider an outside wood burning stove and piping the heat into your trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote