Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #21

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but I hate when people leave trash in the firepits. Last year we were camping in a little Forest Campground in the UP of Michigan and we had to move mid-week to a different spot in the same campground. The campsite we moved to someone had left food (!!), used tin foil, empty beer boxes, etc in the fire pit. Of course, it was no longer in the fire pit as some of it had been dragged out and around the campsite.

As to why we had to move, someone had placed a dead animal in a plastic shopping bag and thrown it in back of the campsite next to us. The smell was nasty!!

All I kept thinking was, this is BEAR country!! Why would anyone leave food laying in their firepit when they left??? Or for that matter, bag up a dead animal behind a campsite?
jecguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
As a retired scouter we always told the youth to leave the campsite in better shape them when they found it. Before we left camp we would all line up and sweep the site picking up any thing that was left on the ground.
X 2 .........which we always did & still do.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
MI Camperz

Yep. Every time we would go camping, I would p/u the butts and wrappers, pick the half burned cans out of the fire ring....etc. It's the first thing I would do. Now we're seasonal, so I have to add cut the grass, weed wack, maintain deck, plant stuff, etc. It's a little more upkeep, but I never have to pack and unpack.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Yep. Every time we would go camping, I would p/u the butts and wrappers, pick the half burned cans out of the fire ring....etc. It's the first thing I would do. Now we're seasonal, so I have to add cut the grass, weed wack, maintain deck, plant stuff, etc. It's a little more upkeep, but I never have to pack and unpack.
"I have to add"... wait, that means you still have to do the picking up. Are YOU the one leaving that stuff in your fire ring?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
X 2 .........which we always did & still do.........

Same here

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
jdadoug

Clean camp

Now my wife can see there are more like me
Not only do I pick up my spot, but if the ones beside me are empty I clean them too!
Ciggerett butts are the worse, then pull tabs. I do metal detecting so pull tabs are a pet peve of mine. Yeah I hate it when they cant even get the butt into the fire ring.
Wife cut her foot on some glass last sumer, after cleaning it and putting a bang aid on it I told her she really ought to wear shoes
Fooling around in the water so she took her shoes off.
Well, I guess I'll keep cleaning, somebody's gotta do it. jdadoug
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #27

When we camp, we try to leave it cleaner than when we arrived. Not to the point of picking up others cigarette butts but soda tabs, bottle tops, pieces of paper, etc. Nothing worse than a smoker throwing a butt out the window driving down the road.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #28

We carry a broom. I pick up stuff when we first arrive, or the next day. Today I saw where some considerate camper left his burned coals on the site for the next couple - how nice! Most of the time, the sites are clean. Our best experience was at Sedona, AZ. The cleanup committee drove to the site minutes after the rv pulled out!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #29

When I get to where I am going I get out look over my site .Then when I leave I hook up pull out then I get back out and check out everything before I leave
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #30

We camp in state park campgrounds. In recent years Ohio has been hit hard with budget cuts, so even a little bit of effort goes a long way toward keeping the grounds looking the way we've been used to.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2703SS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill flick View Post
When I get to where I am going I get out look over my site .Then when I leave I hook up pull out then I get back out and check out everything before I leave
I do the same thing. I pull about 30 yards from the site and then go back and check the whole site over. (Sometimes you surprise yourself and see something of your own that you didn't mean to leave behind. A clothes line, something leaning against a tree, something that was stored under the camper, a faucet splitter etc.) I agree with Arjerram also. I have seen campers, more than once, leave a site with a fire still burning in the fire ring. That's a very risky thing to do, even contained in a fire ring, because you never know about fire. The area of South Carolina I live in is loaded with pine trees. Pine needles, or pine straw as they are called here, are extremely flammable and are constantly falling off the trees. In fact, I use a couple of handfuls as kindling to light my camp fire instead of paper. That's how flammable they are, and to leave a fire burning unattended is pure negligence on the part of an inconsiderate camper. I think the Scout experienced campers will agree with me. Never leave a fire unattended!
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #32

We dry camp in a state forest in upper lower Michigan. You cannot imagine the garbage that people dump in the gulleys, along side of the roads and in the camping spots. I guess when they were brought up, their homes were just full of garbage as well. We've pulled into the sites we always use there and have found live pine trees cut down and dragged over to the fire pit and placed on top of the fire, whole and then left there. We've been going up there for over 30 years and it is getting worse. One night near midnight a couple of vehicles pull up near where we were camping and dropped off a boat full of garbage and then threw large rocks through the fiberglass hull. We didn't discover what all the noise was and what was left there until morning when it was light enough to see. It just boggles the mind how thoughtless some people are. We all have rakes to get some of the empty cartridges and shotgun shells picked up along with tabs and cigarette butts. It's just a habit with the people we camp with to clean up the sites we use. When you are driving along on the quads or dirt bikes and see fridges and stoves that have been thrown off to the side of the trails it really makes you shake your head a lot. I'm glad I'm not a people. We'll head up there in May and we'll see what we find this time around. Stay safe all.
Pipeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #33

My #1 thing is dog #2 all over the camp site !!! That sets me off.........
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
My #1 thing is dog #2 all over the camp site !!! That sets me off.........
Owners allowing Dogs to bark 24/7 sets me off.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
We dry camp in a state forest in upper lower Michigan. You cannot imagine the garbage that people dump in the gulleys, along side of the roads and in the camping spots. I guess when they were brought up, their homes were just full of garbage as well. We've pulled into the sites we always use there and have found live pine trees cut down and dragged over to the fire pit and placed on top of the fire, whole and then left there. We've been going up there for over 30 years and it is getting worse. One night near midnight a couple of vehicles pull up near where we were camping and dropped off a boat full of garbage and then threw large rocks through the fiberglass hull. We didn't discover what all the noise was and what was left there until morning when it was light enough to see. It just boggles the mind how thoughtless some people are. We all have rakes to get some of the empty cartridges and shotgun shells picked up along with tabs and cigarette butts. It's just a habit with the people we camp with to clean up the sites we use. When you are driving along on the quads or dirt bikes and see fridges and stoves that have been thrown off to the side of the trails it really makes you shake your head a lot. I'm glad I'm not a people. We'll head up there in May and we'll see what we find this time around. Stay safe all.
Wow Pipeman:

If it's a State Forest, where are the State Park Rangers? I know that almost all State run facilities have seriously cut back on expenditures for campgrounds, but your situation sounds serious. Old refrigerators and stoves? It sounds more like a city dump or recycling center than a campground. Have you tried contacting the necessary State individuals who are responsible for the park? I would. If those people are caught, there will be a penalty to pay! That really is a shame and I feel sorry for you and all the others who camp there.
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #36

How about people that feel the need to carve into trees and picnic tables? Personally I don’t care “John was here” but could he stop trying to set the picnic table on fire, pick up his beer caps and ask whoever he is in love with to dispose of the toilet she leaves behind the tree she pees at!

Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #37

I've been lucky in that most of the places I've camped at were generally left in good shape -although I do pick up whatever might be lying around.

The main thing I find wrong with sites is people leaving fire pits full of half-burned garbage.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #38

We see the same type of disrespect for others in non-camping environments, too. In the large building where I work, the restrooms are filthy to the point of often being unusable. This is not the fault of the excellent cleaning people. They just can't keep up with the slobs who come in after them. After all, restrooms are only as clean as the last person who uses them.

This is unbelievable, but it actually has gotten to the point where signs were put up giving step-by-step directions on how to use the bathroom and leave it clean for the next person. Didn't work. I often go to several different bathrooms in the building before I find one I'll use.

And this building is NOT open to the public. These are people we actually hire, and these are the bathrooms they use on a daily basis but don't care enough about to keep them clean.

Outside, the smokers continually stamp out their butts and cover the sidewalk with them, despite repeated communications directing them not to do so. They just don't care.

I just don't think some parents these days are doing a good job of teaching their kids to respect others or themselves. Thank you to the folks on here who obviously ARE showing their kids how to leave facilities in better shape than they found them. I'm just afraid there aren't enough of you.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote