Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Canoeing in Family

Hey guys,

I am from Nyc and me and my husband were thinking to canoeing, I heard about Everglades, but I don't want to go for a long trip and not having fun there,as we'll go with my kids.

Or do you have any other suggestions?

thanks,

Lila
lyloochoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #2

There are many beautiful rivers and springs in Florida that are absolutely perfect for canoeing- two right oss the top of my head are the Silver River in Ocala Fl, and the Suwannee River, near White springs. The many springs here have spring runs that flow into the Suwannee, and the overhanging Cypress trees are very pretty. Bring plenty of bug spray in the summer months! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
There are many beautiful rivers and springs in Florida that are absolutely perfect for canoeing- two right oss the top of my head are the Silver River in Ocala Fl, and the Suwannee River, near White springs. The many springs here have spring runs that flow into the Suwannee, and the overhanging Cypress trees are very pretty. Bring plenty of bug spray in the summer months! Randy
I think that I would be more worried about forgetting my 'gator spray !!

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #4

I am writing this in assumption that you are not familiar with canoes, if you are I apologize.

I would suggest that you camp at a lake where you have close access to the water and beaches, preferably a smaller lake where the winds will not create a problem with rough water.

Take a couple of hours at a time at the most and spend paddling around, get used to the feel of different loads in the canoe, such as kids and adult combos, including letting the kids splash their hands in the water, if they are old enough, let them help paddle, or even let them play around near shore with supervision on their own.

It could be a long day if you get a couple of hours of paddling away from your camp and have decided it is not for you, then you have to paddle back for the next two hours, weather changes and you end up on a beach miles from your camp.

If you have previous experience with paddling, then go for it with the previous suggestions. Also, make sure you have life jackets for all in the canoes.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote