Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Carlisle Trail RH tires

Has anyone had any luck with these tires? I heard there were issues with them in the past and that they had made changes/improvements. I had a blow out on my firth wheel about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It did $3711.86 in damage to the camper. The tires weren't even a year old. The sudden shift I am guessing caused cord seperation and a baseball sized bubble on a tire on the other side. This will be the 8th such bubble on Duro tires. I had Carlisle tires on my travel trailer and never had an issue. That said, the travel trailer wasn't near as big or heavy as the 5th wheel. In other posts remedies of going with a bigger/higher capacity tire was mentioned. Every tire on the market has both good and bad reviews. Just wanted to know of any personal experience with the Carlisles.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
fmc

I don't have any experience with the Carlisle tire. I blew out a almost new Chinese bomb on my 5er this summer. I did the repair work myself which saved a bunch of money. I did a tremendous amount of research before replacing them with Maxis "E" rated tires. There was a considerable amount of recommendations for the Maxis tire and it is not made in china. It is built in Taiwan. I did have the new tires balanced and had steel valve stems installed.
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

I believe that particular model of Carlisle ST tire is the one and only ST tire made in the USA.

Bruce
Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #4

Eight bubbles on Duro tires and you still have them? They would have been gone after #1. Carlisle are another example of a tire with an American name that is made in China..Why not go with a proven American made LT tire or a Goodyear G614 (not Marathon) and be done with it. If you have to ask about a tire it's probably questionable...The ONLY other choices would be the Maxxis or the Sailon load range G. The rest are just like what you have...junk.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Eight bubbles on Duro tires and you still have them? They would have been gone after #1. Carlisle are another example of a tire with an American name that is made in China..Why not go with a proven American made LT tire or a Goodyear G614 (not Marathon) and be done with it. If you have to ask about a tire it's probably questionable...The ONLY other choices would be the Maxxis or the Sailon load range G. The rest are just like what you have...junk.
Yeah, just go out and buy all new 16" wheels and put tires on there that aren't recommended for Special Trailer use. That ought to save you some money.

Bruce
Old 11-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #6

I've looked at LT tires and have yet to find any that come close to the weight capacity that I have now. I've gone to bigger tires in the duro but am limited to the rim weight capacity and psi.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
I don't have any experience with the Carlisle tire. I blew out a almost new Chinese bomb on my 5er this summer. I did the repair work myself which saved a bunch of money. I did a tremendous amount of research before replacing them with Maxis "E" rated tires. There was a considerable amount of recommendations for the Maxis tire and it is not made in china. It is built in Taiwan. I did have the new tires balanced and had steel valve stems installed.
My Maxxis 8008 tires were made in Thailand.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #8

I've looked at the Goodyear G614 tires. They are rated for 5th wheel campers but they are expensive ($379 per tire) the psi rating is pretty high. I think that I would also have to replace my rims. I am going to try the Hercules power str tires. I'm pretty sure that the problem itself is the build of our unit. The manufacturer put 6k axles on our camper and it should have been 7k. I am limited out and probably over weight when loaded. I was told that I am or of warranty but would be sold 7k axles at their cost. Disappointing. It'll probably be my next step of the tire issues continue. I have replaced more tires on our camper than anything we've ever owned.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #9

OKI, if you can make the trip to Goshen next August and axles are the problem, I would be willing to bet that you will come away with new axles, no matter the age of your rig.
If it should have been, it will be. They will make things right.
FR does things there that would amaze you. IMHO they do not want you to/will not let you leave disappointed. I have been there, done that, came away impressed.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
OKI, if you can make the trip to Goshen next August and axles are the problem, I would be willing to bet that you will come away with new axles, no matter the age of your rig.
If it should have been, it will be. They will make things right.
FR does things there that would amaze you. IMHO they do not want you to/will not let you leave disappointed. I have been there, done that, came away impressed.
Travel safe
That would be great. My fifth wheel is currently in for repairs for the damage this last blow out caused. They called and said one of the tires had a bulge on it. I probably have about 1500-2000 miles on these tires. Something needs to be done.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #11

If you have 6K axles any LT tire will be sufficient and a darn site better than ST bombs. If you have 7K axles swapping for 17.5 inch commercial tires and wheels are by far your best option.
Remember, ST bombs are only speed and load rated to only 65MPH.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
My Maxxis 8008 tires were made in Thailand.
I'm giving the Maxxis a try. Soooo sick of the Shandong Chinese garbage. Total of 5 blowouts in about 2,000 miles and over $4,000 damage between two blowouts of the right front tire alone. I put Akurets on it in the Keys as there was no options available to get home. Put two Hercules on as spares only to find out both tires [Hercules and Akuret] are made at the same Chinese plant in Shandong China.
You would think at least one of the major US tire companies would see the market for a GOOD ST tire and put one in production. Someone is not paying attention.

http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tire-...ed-plant-code/
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
You would think at least one of the major US tire companies would see the market for a GOOD ST tire and put one in production. Someone is not paying attention.
No, they are paying attention.. To their bottom line!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
That would be great. My fifth wheel is currently in for repairs for the damage this last blow out caused. They called and said one of the tires had a bulge on it. I probably have about 1500-2000 miles on these tires. Something needs to be done.
What brand of tire do you have on it that they called you about? Just curious.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
Are you sure your Maxxis were made in Taiwan and not Thailand? I don't show a factory in Taiwan for Maxxis.
So far, my new Maxxis are running good. Not near the temp rise or pressure increase of any of the tires I've used in the past. Even a blind hog finds an accorn now and then.
The 4 that I just put on the unit were only 2 months old according to code on the side. The China Bombs that all blew out on me last year were over two years old when mounted. Shame on me for not looking first, but we had no choice at the time.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Has anyone had any luck with these tires? I heard there were issues with them in the past and that they had made changes/improvements. I had a blow out on my firth wheel about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It did $3711.86 in damage to the camper. The tires weren't even a year old. The sudden shift I am guessing caused cord seperation and a baseball sized bubble on a tire on the other side. This will be the 8th such bubble on Duro tires. I had Carlisle tires on my travel trailer and never had an issue. That said, the travel trailer wasn't near as big or heavy as the 5th wheel. In other posts remedies of going with a bigger/higher capacity tire was mentioned. Every tire on the market has both good and bad reviews. Just wanted to know of any personal experience with the Carlisles.
Upgrade if TT came with C load range tires. I upgraded to Carlisle load range E tires N speed rating = 87 mile/hour most trailer tires have a speed rating of 60-65 mile/hour. As most seasoned RV owners will say 60 to 65 miles/hour is a safe speed to travel at. With the N speed rating at 60 mile/hour you are not running at the max speed rating of the tire. Run tire pressure at 80 psi with no problem with the aluminium rims that came stock on the TT with load range C tires.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #17

Last summer just before leaving for the holidays, i decided to change my 5th tires althought they where in perfect shape only starting to crack on the side.
They were Carlisle and where 5 years old. When installing the knew tires i notice on the yellow sticker they where suppose to be 205xxxxx15 ST, but tires on the trailer where 225 ST. So that is what i put on, Goodyear marathon 225 st. I think that having a bit bigger tire must help a bit. So far plenty satisfied with both brand.
micalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #18

Maxxis at a glance.

http://www.maxxisglobal.com/mg1/Down...te_Profile.pdf
Old 12-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Good PR site. I wish it showed where explicitly the ST tires are built and not a generalization of all tires. I'm happy so far with the Thailand produced tires from Maxxis that I just bought. Too soon to tell for sure.
A brand new Winnebago TT just pulled in next to us here in the Keys. I asked the owner if I could look at his tires. They are LRDs made by Trail Express in....yep...China. Can't believe they aren't LREs, but that would set a precedence, I guess. He is from Ontario and just bought it. New to RVing.
After having served 3 combat tours in Vietnam through the 68 TET offensive, I would walk before I would buy anything from there, Maxxis or any other brand.

Tags
tire, tires