Old 11-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Carlisle Trail RH tires

Has anyone had any luck with these tires? I heard there were issues with them in the past and that they had made changes/improvements. I had a blow out on my firth wheel about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It did $3711.86 in damage to the camper. The tires weren't even a year old. The sudden shift I am guessing caused cord seperation and a baseball sized bubble on a tire on the other side. This will be the 8th such bubble on Duro tires. I had Carlisle tires on my travel trailer and never had an issue. That said, the travel trailer wasn't near as big or heavy as the 5th wheel. In other posts remedies of going with a bigger/higher capacity tire was mentioned. Every tire on the market has both good and bad reviews. Just wanted to know of any personal experience with the Carlisles.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
fmc

I don't have any experience with the Carlisle tire. I blew out a almost new Chinese bomb on my 5er this summer. I did the repair work myself which saved a bunch of money. I did a tremendous amount of research before replacing them with Maxis "E" rated tires. There was a considerable amount of recommendations for the Maxis tire and it is not made in china. It is built in Taiwan. I did have the new tires balanced and had steel valve stems installed.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

I believe that particular model of Carlisle ST tire is the one and only ST tire made in the USA.

Bruce
Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #4

Eight bubbles on Duro tires and you still have them? They would have been gone after #1. Carlisle are another example of a tire with an American name that is made in China..Why not go with a proven American made LT tire or a Goodyear G614 (not Marathon) and be done with it. If you have to ask about a tire it's probably questionable...The ONLY other choices would be the Maxxis or the Sailon load range G. The rest are just like what you have...junk.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Eight bubbles on Duro tires and you still have them? They would have been gone after #1. Carlisle are another example of a tire with an American name that is made in China..Why not go with a proven American made LT tire or a Goodyear G614 (not Marathon) and be done with it. If you have to ask about a tire it's probably questionable...The ONLY other choices would be the Maxxis or the Sailon load range G. The rest are just like what you have...junk.
Yeah, just go out and buy all new 16" wheels and put tires on there that aren't recommended for Special Trailer use. That ought to save you some money.

Bruce
Old 11-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #6

I've looked at LT tires and have yet to find any that come close to the weight capacity that I have now. I've gone to bigger tires in the duro but am limited to the rim weight capacity and psi.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
I don't have any experience with the Carlisle tire. I blew out a almost new Chinese bomb on my 5er this summer. I did the repair work myself which saved a bunch of money. I did a tremendous amount of research before replacing them with Maxis "E" rated tires. There was a considerable amount of recommendations for the Maxis tire and it is not made in china. It is built in Taiwan. I did have the new tires balanced and had steel valve stems installed.
My Maxxis 8008 tires were made in Thailand.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #8

I've looked at the Goodyear G614 tires. They are rated for 5th wheel campers but they are expensive ($379 per tire) the psi rating is pretty high. I think that I would also have to replace my rims. I am going to try the Hercules power str tires. I'm pretty sure that the problem itself is the build of our unit. The manufacturer put 6k axles on our camper and it should have been 7k. I am limited out and probably over weight when loaded. I was told that I am or of warranty but would be sold 7k axles at their cost. Disappointing. It'll probably be my next step of the tire issues continue. I have replaced more tires on our camper than anything we've ever owned.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #9

OKI, if you can make the trip to Goshen next August and axles are the problem, I would be willing to bet that you will come away with new axles, no matter the age of your rig.
If it should have been, it will be. They will make things right.
FR does things there that would amaze you. IMHO they do not want you to/will not let you leave disappointed. I have been there, done that, came away impressed.
Travel safe
Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
OKI, if you can make the trip to Goshen next August and axles are the problem, I would be willing to bet that you will come away with new axles, no matter the age of your rig.
If it should have been, it will be. They will make things right.
FR does things there that would amaze you. IMHO they do not want you to/will not let you leave disappointed. I have been there, done that, came away impressed.
Travel safe
That would be great. My fifth wheel is currently in for repairs for the damage this last blow out caused. They called and said one of the tires had a bulge on it. I probably have about 1500-2000 miles on these tires. Something needs to be done.

Tags
tire, tires