Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Love my CB radio. Up to date traffic alerts from the truckers as I am usually right on the speed limit. Other than that, it is good entertainment. I sometimes turn it off or down if some trucker insists on profanity.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #12

Interesting. I was of the impression that cb was pretty much dead these days. Or at least of little use at all.
So, can any one recommend a good unit at a reasonable price that would useful in both Canada and the us?

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
Interesting. I was of the impression that cb was pretty much dead these days. Or at least of little use at all.
So, can any one recommend a good unit at a reasonable price that would useful in both Canada and the us?
I haven't kept up with recent prices on CBs. I have a Cobra 19 Ultra that I bought about 15 years ago, and have been very pleased with it....I don't think they still make that unit. I just checked the net for that unit, and came up with this on Ebay: Cobra 19 Ultra Mobile CB - eBay (item 400183080769 end time Feb-21-11 08:10:50 PST)

Old 02-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #14

My dad is an amerature radio operator, has had his license since like 1942. You can now get a codeless ham radio license and operate on the 2 meter ham band with it. If you really want a 2 way radio, study up and get that codeless general class license and put a good icom or yeasue 2 meter rig in the truck..better distance with the 2 meter repeater system than CB...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #15

I am a ham radio operator and encourage those with a interest and/or need for personal communications to look into getting their amateur radio license. Why do you need to get a license? Well the most important part is you are dealing with a device that has the ability to hurt you or some one else, so learning how to properly connect power and an antenna to your equipment is important. Another reason, as an amateur operator (aka HAM) is you don't "change a channel", you change frequency (Channel 19 is a frequency of 27.185 MHz AM). A CB in the US is LEGALLY limited to a maximum 4.5 WATTS. Many users of CB will use an AMP (sometimes over 2000 WATTS) which is very dangerous to the user and anyone around. Many don't care because they don't understand the dangers. An amateur has the ability to LEGALLY transmit up to 1500 WATTS PEP (Peak Envelope Power). A Technician class license give you privileges on the VHF and UHF radio bands. There are repeaters all over the country that are there for all hams to use (as long as you are licensed). The next license class is General Class and that gives you Tech privileges along with HF (High Frequency) privileges. HF gives you the ability to talk from the next town over or around the world. The next license class is Extra Amateur Class which gives you more of the HF bands. I have all bands available to me in my TV. I have talked as far away as Argentina and Belgium from my TV while in south Louisiana. Both the DW and I are hams (I am an Extra and the DW is a General). While traveling on long trips I can talk back home to my friends as well as to check with the DW to see if she needs me to bring her some water when she is sitting on the beach. The equipment is relatively inexpensive (compared to commercial use radios) and you are limited by how much YOU want to put into it. Most all hams monitor a particular frequency when traveling (146.52 is the national simplex frequency) and it has a range of 25 miles or so (using a 50 watt mobile and a properly installed antenna). My call sign is on the back window of my TV and will soon be on the back of the TT, so if you see KN1B say Hi!! If any one is interested in more information, I would be glad to help in whatever way I can. More info is also available at American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources . 73's (ham for "talk to you later")
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #16

BTW, you hardly ever hear any profanity on the ham frequencies as you can loose your license, be fined, and loose your equipment. It is still a "gentleman's hobby".

The Technician class license test is 35 questions. Studying is required by most people trying to get their license. Practice questions are available at QRZ.COM Callsign Database
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I understand the many benefits of ham radio operations, and hope to get my license some day. But how would that help me out better with local road situations better than a CB Radio??? The truckers are on top of things, and most have CBs. If there is construction ahead, i hear about it and learn what is the best lane to use to get through it. If there is an accident ahead, the truckers will be talking about what exit to use to get around it, and the roads needed. Even if there is some idiot doing 90 mph coming up behind me, I will hear about it and get in the right lane out of the way. I figure that is not going to be the case with a ham setup.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #18

Bikendan,
I have a basic understanding of radio theory and from what I understand while CB radio is useful for communicating short distances, it has limitations due to the power they legally can transmit, the types of antennas used and the nature of the CB band itself. As I recall CB uses amplitude modulation (AM) to change the frequency and ham rigs, like the 2 meter band use frequency modulation (FM single side band)...AM is more of a line of sight radio wave and can be obstructed by buildings, tunnels, mountains and so forth more easily the radio waves transmitted using FM. Do I have this correct Kbrown?

When we traveled across the US and Canada as kids /teenagers my dad had a 2 meter rig in the car and we had access in areas where CB would have failed.

If you want safety, ham radio is more reliable than CB. If you want traffic and road info, I would suggest a Garmin GPS unit with an XM subscription you can add road and traffic data for the interstate and many federal highways real time on maps.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DageonYar
We picked up a couple of those handheld cobra units for talking back/forth while backing up, and keeping in touch when hiking and stuff. Do these qualify as CB's?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
To answer your question, no. That's an FRS radio - family radio service. A while back, some frequncies opened up and this type of radio utilizes tha frequency range. They are more clear then the A.M. cb channels, but are still dependant on line of site between the two when distance is concerned.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #20

I have a CB and enjoy it as well, I'll admit that there are fewer and fewer of us - ideal if you travel with someone who also has one. The problem you are facing with retail stores is that most of those young sales people have probably never seen a CB... Try asking about a VCR...

I have a Cobra 75 WX ST - all-in-one model.

Not sure where you are, but if you're in the greater Toronto area, try a place like Durham Radio in Whitby - they know CBs and they'll guide you through.
Also look at RadioWorld in TO. Easy to find both with Google.

Finally I wonder if CBs are exempted from laws that makes it illegal now to use a cell phone/GPS or other gadget while driving ?? Curious ?

By the way, CBs n the US and Canada are the same - same number of channels - 40.

* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote