Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #1

Cell phone security...some info

Something I didnt know and thought I would share. All of a sudden i noticed cell phone battery going dead faster than normal. Then I received a data usuage alert from my provider. I was using an android app called 360 security which I got from google play store. When looking at my phone I found this 360 security using a huge amount of data !
So I researched this 360 security on the net
Its no longer on play store....hmmm..for some reason. Like I told you it used over 2gb on mobile data the past couple weeks and used over 7gb on wifi over the past two months! Apparently hackers can hack the app then use a phone to work off its data ! Probably why its no longer on play store! Glad I took the time to research my phone and data usuage. Just a heads up!
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #2

Good info thanks. Myself I'm a flip phone guy using a smart phone so I have limited apps
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #3

Gotta love them data chompers

Worked as a cell phone tech for 5-1/2 years. Saw many data chomping apps come thru the store. Android store has gotten better at scrutinizing apps they put out there for consumers.

Surprisingly some of the most data hungry apps are those designed to protect your device. Same with our home pc. If you want it protected the data bases need to be updated regularly. I use AVAST for my antivirus on all my devices. With all the new crap coming out it is not unusual to have the data base update several times a day.

As for battery usage I have Battery Guru. Nice clean little app that watches for background stuff eating your battery. Will give you a nag message every so often about rogue apps using too much juice.
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

Your experience and my past experience, as well as the security concerns with Android in general, are the reasons why I will never go back to Android until they take privacy/security seriously. It's a free-for-all for malware apps, though Google is taking steps to help rid that crap from the Play store they can't catch everything.

How bad was it last year? Give this a read.

https://www.securityweek.com/700000-...ogle-play-2017
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

360 security has been good for the past few years. Had good reviews when I installed it. Seems it went bad the past couple weeks according to my data usage.
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote