Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

consumer reports top ten least reliable.

Just sayin. Sorry B

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nd-trucks.html
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #2

Popcorn! 😏

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #3

Looks like Ford takes the cake..
Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Kind of a mixed review - of course the ride is not the same as a luxury car -it's a truck!

I knew there is a reason I don't buy their rag

BTW - where is the Chevy - lets see a list of the top 20.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lol ford owns jag to !
Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Lol ford owns jag to !
actually no, Ford sold Rover (and Jaguar/Aston Martin) to an Indian auto company several years ago.

I always find these articles interesting as they focus on some very narrow parameters. Without some data it is hard to see what they found wrong with the Dodge other than it rides like a real truck. That is awfully subjective.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Kind of a mixed review - of course the ride is not the same as a luxury car -it's a truck!...
I think they also said the pickup’s ride is harsh when unloaded, while the up-level Cummins turbo-diesel engine is raucous(1.Unpleasantly loud and harsh. 2. Disturbing the public peace; loud and rough). Also, the truck’s six-speed automatic transmission does not shift smoothly. What do you expect? Reliability of the diesel model is well below average, which is why this tough pickup is in a tough spot, on this top 10 list.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

That article left me totally confused. What do they mean by reliability? They seem to confuse reliability with creature comforts. For me a reliable vehicle is one that starts every time and takes me from point A to point B without issues every time. And they knock a sport Jaguar for rear headroom...really? Reading that article doesn't make me want to run out and get a copy of Consumer Reports.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I think they also said the pickup’s ride is harsh when unloaded, while the up-level Cummins turbo-diesel engine is raucous(1.Unpleasantly loud and harsh. 2. Disturbing the public peace; loud and rough). Also, the truck’s six-speed automatic transmission does not shift smoothly. What do you expect? Reliability of the diesel model is well below average, which is why this tough pickup is in a tough spot, on this top 10 list.
If these comments are going to be directed towards me, then I will refer to post # 6.

I have seen other reviews that say the Cummins 6.7 engine is a good reliable engine.

Figures don't lie, but liars can figure.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post

actually no, Ford sold Rover (and Jaguar/Aston Martin) to an Indian auto company several years ago.

I always find these articles interesting as they focus on some very narrow parameters. Without some data it is hard to see what they found wrong with the Dodge other than it rides like a real truck. That is awfully subjective.
Sorry ur right sold 2008.
What's funny is my boss's '12 land rover says ford all over it.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
B47

Add post # 8 to my last post.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Sorry ur right sold 2008.
What's funny is my boss's '12 land rover says ford all over it.
I think Indian chap, whose name might be Tata is memory serves, still buys a crapload of stuff from Ford. I actually owned one of the Ford year Jags, but it had a BMW engine...go figure. bought it for a song on ebay and drove it like I stole it.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post

I think Indian chap, whose name might be Tata is memory serves, still buys a crapload of stuff from Ford. I actually owned one of the Ford year Jags, but it had a BMW engine...go figure. bought it for a song on ebay and drove it like I stole it.
Had a jag as well ford era.
2005 awd 3.0L

Edit ms amy owned a jag ford era.

Btw trouble free for 110, 000 miles
Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
If these comments are going to be directed towards me, then I will refer to post # 6...
Nothing pointed at any person. Just the Dodge. Have no idea what they are referring to about the unreliable engine. I do have to agree with the raucous remark tho'.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Nothing pointed at any person. Just the Dodge. Have no idea what they are referring to about the unreliable engine. I do have to agree with the raucous remark tho'.
OC - I'm certain that with your background that you deal in facts. Having said that, how can any test determine the noise level of any engine or device without everything being on a level playing field.

To me, any magazine or person saying one engine or device is louder than another without having a decibel level test performed just is not a valid reason.

Of course, the decibel test should be performed under equal conditions, such as at idle, under load etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OC - I'm certain that with your background that you deal in facts. Having said that, how can any test determine the noise level of any engine or device without everything being on a level playing field.

To me, any magazine or person saying one engine or device is louder than another without having a decibel level test performed just is not a valid reason.

Of course, the decibel test should be performed under equal conditions, such as at idle, under load etc.
Agree, but I have stood beside a 13Duramax idling and could carry on a conversation in a normal voice (in fact, I thought it was a gas engine it was that quiet) and can't along side a 13 Dodge Cummins. Don't need a meter for that. But you're right, if they are going to make that statement in a report there should be numbers of all they compared them against.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #17

Seems like quite a bit of subjective analysis... You can agree or disagree.
Seems like reliability data is born out of fact. Based upon total cost to own, repair interval and degree, cost to maintain, replacement part cost and availability against a baseline, etc.

How it rides is not a reliability index IMHO..

On the Jag issue, subjectively there are just some cars I can't see a guy driving, jags, most late model convertibles, miyata, new beetle, subarus, etc. maybe my own hang up, it's just doesn't look right. Lol
Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #18

Well crap on a cracker! Our truck rides like a .......truck. And our diesel sounds like a .....diesel. We bought this truck for the TOTALLY awesome CTD pulling power. Didn't look at aesthetics, ride, etc. It ain't no Cadillac. But pretty sure we knew that going in. Does anyo e really read this subjective rag anymore?
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Seems like quite a bit of subjective analysis... You can agree or disagree.
Seems like reliability data is born out of fact. Based upon total cost to own, repair interval and degree, cost to maintain, replacement part cost and availability against a baseline, etc.

How it rides is not a reliability index IMHO..

On the Jag issue, subjectively there are just some cars I can't see a guy driving, jags, most late model convertibles, miyata, new beetle, subarus, etc. maybe my own hang up, it's just doesn't look right. Lol
Agreed - they shouldn't throw cars and pick up trucks in the same mix. Why not include buses and semis in there too?

Agree on the reliability data also - show me facts and just the facts. All major airlines have reliability programs and I am very familiar with them and they are based on facts such as time between overhaul, time between failure, failure mode, etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #20

The list is from October 2012 and most of the ford products were there based my ford touch system.. Most scored well enough in tests, just issues implementing new technology. At the end of the day the only truck that was on the list was a ram 2500 diesel. Both Chevy and ford trucks have scored pretty similar. Not sure this is really a ding against any brand.

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote