Originally Posted by Wobbles
Just have to ask.
I have seen a few of your posts since you started your cross-country trek and I have been wondering about how many repairs, modifications and upgrades have you done since you have been on the road?
Good question! I've had work done on 4 separate occasions. My checkbook is still reeling from the last one.
- Right at the start, I had a mobile RV tech come out to a campground near Orlando, FL. I'd happily hire him again. The biggest thing that he came out for was a fairly major leak/water ingress on a slide out. While there, he fixed my Steadyfast stabilizers (factory return/prior salt towing + not properly coating a part caused issues; my fault, not Steadyfast's fault) and tried to help with a slow drip I had with some low point drains.
- Back in August, I arranged for a shop to replace the springs on the camper as mine had gone flat and I had them install new rims/tires that I bought (jumped up to 17.5" wheels + load range J tires). They had the camper for just a day, but we hoteled it for a couple to make my work life easier.
- Back in October, I tried arranging a mobile RV tech to do some work. I sent a detailed email to the shop and they sent a couple of guys out. Longest story shortest, I feel like they didn't look at the list ahead of time and were woefully under-prepared. They fixed a light that was finicky + getting hot. But everything else, we arranged for a 1-day shop visit for my camper: drop it off in the morning + pick it up that night. During the day, they got my wifi + cellular booster antennas installed on the roof + got some electricity to the top of a kitchen cabinet which I'm using as a "tech cabinet" of sorts. All told, I would not go back to them.
- Just at the beginning of December, I arranged to have a shop have my camper for 4 days while we hotel'd it. That ran late and they had the camper through the weekend and into Tuesday. They replaced steps that I had provided by the manufacturer (Torklift's GlowStep Revolution - mostly LOVE them; huge improvement over the OEM steps). They also installed shocks on the camper (the JoyRider Suspension kits). While doing that, they had to reroute a part of my propane line and found that a portion of it was almost fully worn through
. They fixed my over-the-stove fan (motor died). And fixed up my one black tank pull handle and fixed my black tank flush.
In addition to that, my wife and I have done a smattering of little home-y type things - hanging pictures, command hooks all over the place, cup holder, installing printer to be accessible, and are constantly rearranging/purging of things. We've taken out a couple of fixtures (toothbrush holder/soap dish) in the bathroom and either replaced them or went without. One of the biggest just happened this past weekend and that was our Sleep Number bed finally being delivered and setup.
I generally always have a "to do" list of things to be done. Either stuff we just want done (and I have a whole pile of parts to do things but haven't gotten to them) or stuff that is marginally broken.