Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
NELA
 
Weezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,220
counter top ice maker

DH and I are shopping for a portable ice maker. Doing the research and feedback, I've found that many only have a 90 day warranty, and *many* of them go kaput on day 91.

What brand do those of you with these own?

I found out this weekend that Igloo makes one. That interests me as they are a well known and accepted brand.

Your feed back please?
__________________

__________________

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,211
We bought an Igloo last spring and just love it. It works great!
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
BombDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
DH and I are shopping for a portable ice maker. Doing the research and feedback, I've found that many only have a 90 day warranty, and *many* of them go kaput on day 91.

What brand do those of you with these own?

I found out this weekend that Igloo makes one. That interests me as they are a well known and accepted brand.

Your feed back please?
I was fortunate enough to get to meet OC and TOWTA on their way down to Florida. We met and ate lunch at Cracker Barrel. Had a great lunch and got to meet some great people!! My DW and TOWTA were talking about the ice maker. Both OC and TOWTA recommended the Igloo. We took their advice and after using it for several months, couldn't agree more. It makes ice pretty quick at 6 mins or less and has no problem making plenty of ice for the two of us. $99 at Wal Mart.
__________________
John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44) 2014-(59) 2015-(47)
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 107
Once you start comparing them, you will notice the layout of the controls, water drain, indicators, silver evaporator rods, ice dump door, tray, scoop, etc. are all pretty much the same. All made in China under various brand names. Igloo, Emerson, Magic Chef, Koldfront, Newair, Edgestar, etc. I bought the Dometic Stainless Steel one. Yes more money, but then it matches the stainless appliances in kitchen. Mine is well past it's 90 day warranty. It is VERY important to dry it out when not in use or mold will grow in bottom of unit by the water drain area.
__________________
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
iluvlcy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 354
Koldfront at Amazon, we don't have an ice maker at home so this thing get used almost everyday, plus hauling it around in the trailer highly recomend, had it almost 3 years!
__________________
Pam & Don
2003 Ford Expedition EB
2011 Rockwood 2304s

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
kho6658's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 219
We bought the Emerson Portable Ice Maker two years ago. For us it is a necessity with both kids in club soccer, both playing basketball, and son playing Lacrosse. Our house ice maker just can't keep up from filling the kid’s water jugs for practices and games. I make ice every day and have even bought some ice buys to fill and store ice in the freezer. I would have no problem recommending this brand.
__________________
2016 Freedom Express 28SE
2017 F350 Lariat

Days Camped 2017 - 33
Days Camped 2016 - 35
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
NELA
 
Weezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,220
Thanks everyone, for your feedback!

I got to see the Igloo in action this weekend. A family of campers was there with their Igloo sitting on the concrete under the edge of the TT. I noticed it and started asking questions. I got to *see* it in operation and was impressed with how quickly it made ice.

I've read feedback for other brands stating that the bin that holds the ice cubes is not a "freezer" per se, and the cubes will melt and the water drips through and is recycled, thus requiring that you "harvest" the cubes into bags and place them in a freezer. This gentleman said he hasn't experienced that with the Igloo.

The other brands mentioned here; have you noticed this?
__________________

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 11,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySabre View Post
Once you start comparing them, you will notice the layout of the controls, water drain, indicators, silver evaporator rods, ice dump door, tray, scoop, etc. are all pretty much the same. All made in China under various brand names. Igloo, Emerson, Magic Chef, Koldfront, Newair, Edgestar, etc. I bought the Dometic Stainless Steel one. Yes more money, but then it matches the stainless appliances in kitchen. Mine is well past it's 90 day warranty. It is VERY important to dry it out when not in use or mold will grow in bottom of unit by the water drain area.
We agree 100% and if they can be purchased at W/M for 99$ that is even better! Youroo!!They only make,they DONT store!
__________________
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
themounties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Moundsville Wv
Posts: 1,337
Our kids bought us an Emerson for Christmas and we've been using it daily,it has worked great can't wait to take it camping with us
__________________
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Infractee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Thanks everyone, for your feedback!

I got to see the Igloo in action this weekend. A family of campers was there with their Igloo sitting on the concrete under the edge of the TT. I noticed it and started asking questions. I got to *see* it in operation and was impressed with how quickly it made ice.

I've read feedback for other brands stating that the bin that holds the ice cubes is not a "freezer" per se, and the cubes will melt and the water drips through and is recycled, thus requiring that you "harvest" the cubes into bags and place them in a freezer. This gentleman said he hasn't experienced that with the Igloo.

The other brands mentioned here; have you noticed this?

Weezer I looked but did not see a portable countertop ice maker that would keep the ice cube area frozen for < $500 when we were looking at them. We settled on the Dometic as well, they all look and function similarly. The cubes will melt if left, they do melt right into the basin so they will be "recycled". The ice compartment is not cooled, other than the ice being in there. We make a bunch of ice first day out and bag it in freezer for use the rest of trip.

Works very well in moderate temps, during the summer it stays inside or you will not get any ice out of it.
__________________

__________________
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.