Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
NELA

counter top ice maker

DH and I are shopping for a portable ice maker. Doing the research and feedback, I've found that many only have a 90 day warranty, and *many* of them go kaput on day 91.

What brand do those of you with these own?

I found out this weekend that Igloo makes one. That interests me as they are a well known and accepted brand.

Your feed back please?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

We bought an Igloo last spring and just love it. It works great!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
DH and I are shopping for a portable ice maker. Doing the research and feedback, I've found that many only have a 90 day warranty, and *many* of them go kaput on day 91.

What brand do those of you with these own?

I found out this weekend that Igloo makes one. That interests me as they are a well known and accepted brand.

Your feed back please?
I was fortunate enough to get to meet OC and TOWTA on their way down to Florida. We met and ate lunch at Cracker Barrel. Had a great lunch and got to meet some great people!! My DW and TOWTA were talking about the ice maker. Both OC and TOWTA recommended the Igloo. We took their advice and after using it for several months, couldn't agree more. It makes ice pretty quick at 6 mins or less and has no problem making plenty of ice for the two of us. $99 at Wal Mart.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

Once you start comparing them, you will notice the layout of the controls, water drain, indicators, silver evaporator rods, ice dump door, tray, scoop, etc. are all pretty much the same. All made in China under various brand names. Igloo, Emerson, Magic Chef, Koldfront, Newair, Edgestar, etc. I bought the Dometic Stainless Steel one. Yes more money, but then it matches the stainless appliances in kitchen. Mine is well past it's 90 day warranty. It is VERY important to dry it out when not in use or mold will grow in bottom of unit by the water drain area.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

Koldfront at Amazon, we don't have an ice maker at home so this thing get used almost everyday, plus hauling it around in the trailer highly recomend, had it almost 3 years!

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

We bought the Emerson Portable Ice Maker two years ago. For us it is a necessity with both kids in club soccer, both playing basketball, and son playing Lacrosse. Our house ice maker just can't keep up from filling the kid’s water jugs for practices and games. I make ice every day and have even bought some ice buys to fill and store ice in the freezer. I would have no problem recommending this brand.

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
NELA

Thanks everyone, for your feedback!

I got to see the Igloo in action this weekend. A family of campers was there with their Igloo sitting on the concrete under the edge of the TT. I noticed it and started asking questions. I got to *see* it in operation and was impressed with how quickly it made ice.

I've read feedback for other brands stating that the bin that holds the ice cubes is not a "freezer" per se, and the cubes will melt and the water drips through and is recycled, thus requiring that you "harvest" the cubes into bags and place them in a freezer. This gentleman said he hasn't experienced that with the Igloo.

The other brands mentioned here; have you noticed this?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySabre View Post
Once you start comparing them, you will notice the layout of the controls, water drain, indicators, silver evaporator rods, ice dump door, tray, scoop, etc. are all pretty much the same. All made in China under various brand names. Igloo, Emerson, Magic Chef, Koldfront, Newair, Edgestar, etc. I bought the Dometic Stainless Steel one. Yes more money, but then it matches the stainless appliances in kitchen. Mine is well past it's 90 day warranty. It is VERY important to dry it out when not in use or mold will grow in bottom of unit by the water drain area.
We agree 100% and if they can be purchased at W/M for 99$ that is even better! Youroo!!They only make,they DONT store!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #9

Our kids bought us an Emerson for Christmas and we've been using it daily,it has worked great can't wait to take it camping with us
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Infractee

Quote:
Thanks everyone, for your feedback!

I got to see the Igloo in action this weekend. A family of campers was there with their Igloo sitting on the concrete under the edge of the TT. I noticed it and started asking questions. I got to *see* it in operation and was impressed with how quickly it made ice.

I've read feedback for other brands stating that the bin that holds the ice cubes is not a "freezer" per se, and the cubes will melt and the water drips through and is recycled, thus requiring that you "harvest" the cubes into bags and place them in a freezer. This gentleman said he hasn't experienced that with the Igloo.

The other brands mentioned here; have you noticed this?

Weezer I looked but did not see a portable countertop ice maker that would keep the ice cube area frozen for < $500 when we were looking at them. We settled on the Dometic as well, they all look and function similarly. The cubes will melt if left, they do melt right into the basin so they will be "recycled". The ice compartment is not cooled, other than the ice being in there. We make a bunch of ice first day out and bag it in freezer for use the rest of trip.

Works very well in moderate temps, during the summer it stays inside or you will not get any ice out of it.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
NELA

I'm not surprised that virtually all the models do not keep the cubes frozen. I think this guy was able to leave them in his model since the outside temps were moderate...73 during the day and 39 the night before.

I have the perfect spot for this size (as they all seem to have approximately the same profile/footprint). I have a "side bar" counter top in our kitchen and it's exactly the right place to put one. That's also where the "bar" ...grin... and the coffee maker sits.

Is the Dometic brand comparable to the Igloo, RhoZeta?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Ours is on the side counter as well. The Tassimo is right beside that. It stays on the counter when travelling and doesn't move.

B
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
Infractee

Quote:
I'm not surprised that virtually all the models do not keep the cubes frozen. I think this guy was able to leave them in his model since the outside temps were moderate...73 during the day and 39 the night before.

I have the perfect spot for this size (as they all seem to have approximately the same profile/footprint). I have a "side bar" counter top in our kitchen and it's exactly the right place to put one. That's also where the "bar" ...grin... and the coffee maker sits.

Is the Dometic brand comparable to the Igloo, RhoZeta?

Sorry Weezer been out of touch for a while,
From what I can tell, our Dometic is virtually identical to our friend's Igloo unit, right down to the same funny looking cubes! LOL I would imagine they roll down the same assy line somewhere in China.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
NELA

I bought the Igloo brand last night. Kept watching one on eBay and it finally was marked down to less than $100.00, (free shipping) and I got a 3 year warranty.

Also got a single serving sized blender/frozen drink maker. Since this ice maker makes the softer cubes I'm thinkin' it'll be a perfect pair for frozen margaritas!

Now, just hoping the icemaker gets here before Friday.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #15

I recently bought Dometic @ CW and for $25 got a two year ext. Warranty they do offer a 3 year for a little more $
palominoryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
NELA

FINALLY got our Igloo icemaker in! The first one $99.00 free shipping, arrived damaged. The seller paid for the return shipping and gave us a $50.00 refund to offset the inconvenience.

The replacement arrived this morning so DH tried it out when he came home for lunch. First batch of ice was completed in SIX minutes!

LOVE this thing! Love the firm yet "soft" ice cubes. These will work very well with my frozen margarita maker. And it'll be great for ice tea.

DH says "we have to keep it in a handy place in the RV, as we'll be moving it back and forth between the house and the RV".

(we don't use the icemaker in the fridge here at home, as even with an inline filter the ice is awful!)

Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by palominoryda View Post
I recently bought Dometic @ CW and for $25 got a two year ext. Warranty they do offer a 3 year for a little more $

I paid $15.00 for the 3 year extended warranty on the Igloo.

I'm thinkin' I'll apply the $50.00 refund to purchasing one of those Lil Red propane campfires.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...DH says "we have to keep it in a handy place in the RV, as we'll be moving it back and forth between the house and the RV"...
Solution to that problem is go dig up another coffee can out of the back yard and go to Walmart and get another one! Remember, you're spending the kids inheritance anyway!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
FINALLY got our Igloo icemaker in! The first one $99.00 free shipping, arrived damaged. The seller paid for the return shipping and gave us a $50.00 refund to offset the inconvenience.

The replacement arrived this morning so DH tried it out when he came home for lunch. First batch of ice was completed in SIX minutes!

LOVE this thing! Love the firm yet "soft" ice cubes. These will work very well with my frozen margarita maker. And it'll be great for ice tea.

DH says "we have to keep it in a handy place in the RV, as we'll be moving it back and forth between the house and the RV".

(we don't use the icemaker in the fridge here at home, as even with an inline filter the ice is awful!)
This is going to sound silly but can you take a picture of the ice cubes? There's a type of ice cubes that I love so much. If this machines make the same type ice cubes it worth buying. I have an ice chewing habit and some ice is much easier on the teeth than other.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #20

Get the cheapest one Walmart has, $109 and get the extended warranty, $19. Works great.
We are driving a Ford F250 Gasser and pulling a Evergreen G269FK. We also have a Cairn Terrier. 2 Champion Generators. This year, planning on 6 months in our Evergreen visiting, California, Michigan, and Ohio. We live in Florida. Grandkids, and dog are why we camp. Also have a Hensley Hitch which that eliminates all sway. Pricey, but worth it.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote