Old 02-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

Crawfish

Is there a specific season for crawfish in Louisiana or can you eat them anytime and where are the good ones served at

Old 02-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

The season is currently underway, but with the cold weather they have been buried and not molting so they are still somewhat small. Usually the season ends around June or July, depending what part of the state you are in. Need to know what part of Louisiana are you visiting to get leads on good crawfish.

2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #3

We are going to be in New Orleans area on coast in April I have a friend said better than shrimp but I think he probably didn't remember what he ate
Old 02-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #4

Not in Louisiana but this was our dinner table Saturday evening when our niece and her husband fixed dinner for us. 
Name:   Dinner.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  17.6 KB
Old 02-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post
The season is currently underway, but with the cold weather they have been buried and not molting so they are still somewhat small. Usually the season ends around June or July, depending what part of the state you are in. Need to know what part of Louisiana are you visiting to get leads on good crawfish.
As my fellow Louisiana friend stated, it's all dependent on rain and temperature.

January thru first of July is usual season around my parts, but can start in late November thru early August in rare occassions.

Late March-April seems to have the best sizing (not too small, nor too large which are harder to peel). The good medium/large medium hold the best flavor.

There is an art to boiling them, and you need to experience them at a good place. You don't want to get them at a place that basically covers them in cayenne pepper after the fact. You want some spice in the crab boil, that soaks into the crawdaddy......but not something just caked on the outside that basically burns your lips.

Hold on and I will find you some instructions on how to peel them so you'll be ready.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

Well stated wmtire! As wmtire said, you want a medium sized crawfish, that is the best size to peel and eat. The way I peel them is I shove the tail into the head, pull it out, grab the top of the tail meat with my thumb and index finger, pinch the bottom of the tail with thumb and index finger, squeeze the very bottom of the tail and pull the meat right out! My favorite place to eat crawfish is at Cest' Bon, which is 15 minutes from my house(https://www.facebook.com/cest.bon.mermentau). Rick does not season his water, he boils them for a few minutes, puts them in an ice chest pours seasoning on top, shakes the ice chest to mix the seasoning and lets them steam for a minute or so to finish cooking. This way the crawfish absorb all the seasoning, when they are served there is little to no seasoning on the outside of the crawfish and all the seasoning is soaked in. Everything Rick and Darla serve is good, I have spent ALOT of money over there and have never had anything that was not good.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #7

We will be around Biloxi and Ala. also I live on the coast so I have been eating seafood my whole life but craw daddies I guess is not seafood but I'm sure going to try them see if it makes tequilla taste different
Old 02-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
I'm sure going to try them see if it makes tequilla taste different
WHAT!!!! Crawfish is a beer food.

I am not really a drinker in my older years, but crawfish and pizza are two foods that just taste better with beer. I promise you.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #9

Is this restaurant within a distance for us to visit don't mind traveling 60 miles or so will be pulling toad Pass Christian area to be more specific I think
Old 02-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #10

I agree with that 100% on the pizza and will take your word on the dads