Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #1

crutches

Not a camping question, but I'll throw this out. It's been less than 2 weeks since right leg was amputated, and I'm starting to get pretty good with the underarm crutches they gave me in the hospital. But i've been looking at the forearm crutches on the internet, and they seem easy to use, maybe more convenient, and are said to be better for long term users. Any one have any experience with them? Are they worth a try? I know they will fit in my wife's BMW Z4 a lot better.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #2

While my ordeal didnt involve amputation, I was stuck In crutches for a few months due to knee/fracture issues...I was outfitted with "mobilegs" and also a set of arm crutches....the arm set was smaller, but for me I never could get the comfort to match my (custom flamed..lol) mobilegs...but maybe they take more practice than I gave em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409141321540.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	61530  

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

I seem to find that our customers who require crutches for the long term, prefer a forearm style crutch. Their are many to choose from, the "Euro" style can be lighter, more minimal, and more streamlined.

If standard crutches feel better, and it's the stowing size that is the issue, you can find aluminum folding standard crutches now. Drive Medical make a pair that are pretty slick, and fold up very compact. If you check with your local medical equipment retailerthey may be able to help you out.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
NELA

ONE time in my life I've had to use crutches. (was messin' around in Sneak's shop, doing something I shouldn't have been doing...stepped out on to a stepping stone crooked...with a sawhorse in my hands.... and DOWN I went...broke bones in the top of my right foot). I detested the original, armpit style crutches. Three days on those things and my armpits were SO SORE! Talked the doc in to putting me in a "walking cast"...

Good to see you're gettin' out and about Richard!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #5

Ironj- those Mobilegs look like the way to go. Checked them out on the internet, may have to get a set.
Weezer- I got a set of gelpad covers and they are much more comfortable, soreness is now going away, except on right arm where crutch was shoved into arm and side pretty hard from a fall.
Right now, I'm just trying to get back to my old strength, didn't think the surgery would leave me so weak. Still looking forward to spending some time in Florida this winter, but still have 8 weeks of IV antibiotics to get through. Then will find out if they got all the infection, or have to do some more cutting.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #6

Richard, my suggestion would be to go to a medical supply place and try the Mobilegs out before you buy them. You don't have to buy at the supply place, just get a feel for them, see if you like them. If you like them and get a better price on the web then place the order
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 58, 2017 - 86

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #7

I know that I hated the under arm ones, My father in -law had an artificial leg for years and got around fine without crutches, never mentioned if it was uncomfortable. Will they be getting you one of these in the future? If so you may not need anything or just a cane.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
Richard, my suggestion would be to go to a medical supply place and try the Mobilegs out before you buy them. You don't have to buy at the supply place, just get a feel for them, see if you like them. If you like them and get a better price on the web then place the order
I agree...I tried a few diff ones and right away liked the mobis....the tilt/rubber mesh/spring in the pit pad made them eons more comfy....and the grips fit perfect in your hand as there is a right and left..I only tried one style of arm crutches and never even saw folding ones.....I have 2 pairs of reg crutches also....I wanted a walking cast but was not a candidate due to the break/repairs I had

I have no idea what they cost, as the mobi rep and my ortho doc wanted me to provide feedback (I was an athelete)..they even put the custom skin on for me...I was able to crutch through a vacation including malls/museums/baseball games/and a HUGE flea market...I coulda never done that mileage in reg walking sticks

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote