Old 12-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
If not for football, and a few other channels i would very much so consider it!
Aye, football! There's the rub!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
We cut the cord long ago as well. We found it much easier to live without than we thought it would be.

For recording OTA TV, both the Tivo Roamio (monthly fees for "guide service") and Channel Master DVR+ are great DVR's (does anybody really watch live TV anymore?). We started with the Roamio, but recently switched to the Channel Master to drop the fees. The Roamio was a slightly better user experience, but we are perfectly happy with the Channel Master.

For movies, we have been netflix users for years. When they split the streaming and DVD's by mail into two separate charges, we dropped the streaming. We found their online streaming selection to be less than desirable.

TV Freedom | Channel Master

https://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Antenna HD is free :-)
That's how we roll too!

Guys at work give me crap cause we dont have cable or satellite, and how I have 200mb of data on my phone, and they really can't believe my 13 year old daughter doesnt have a cell phone. But then they turn around and give me crap about having a nice new, big 5er or a nice shop......i wonder how many campers thier cable and phone bills could have purchased.
Just priorities..... now i do like a lot of those cable shows, but i dont like em enough to pay for them, (and we dont watch sports), maybe when the kids are grown up or something, we'll do something different !!!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #14

Do it!

We cut the cord about 4 years ago and bought a $12 set of Radio Shack rabbit ears to pull in all of the the OTA channels in HD and a Dish DTVPal OTA DVR (I think the Channel Master DVR+ is its descendent) to record live shows for watching later.

The DTVPal is a little glitchy and the programming guide is limited, but hey, we have saved thousands of dollars over the years and still have more TV then we could ever watch.

Seriously, between the OTA HD shows and Netflix + AppleTV, we don't feel like we have missed much. Some of the best programming on TV are the extended dramas that we want to binge watch anyway, so we wait until they are on Netflix. AppleTV or DVD to watch anyway. And Netflix (and now Amazon) are creating some great original content themselves. Even HBO is going to allow net streaming (I think in 2016) for a monthly fee. Plus there is just an enormous wealth of interesting web-based content that we have discovered as well.

I felt that DirecTV and local cable companies had been screwing us over for years by making us pay for channels we didn't want (and fighting tooth and nail against ala carte pricing). I'm so happy to be done with them.

Best of luck!
Old 12-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

If you have good internet and Netflix, not much is on TV that you can't get online; especially if OTA is an option.

My son is in an area outside of cable service and surrounded by tall trees so sat AND OTA is not an option. They have DSL internet and Netflix and don't seem to miss "TV".

You can subscribe to new shows (not on Netflix yet) via online subscription services (like hulu.com) and you can get subscriptions to streaming sports games with sites like MLB.com (wife is a member as a Phillies fan). NFL has similar web services.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #16
Toy-aholic

We did it about 2 yrs ago, and only miss it now & then....not enough to justify $150/mo. We also dumped the $40/mo landline phone..went to the little cellular box that sits on the window sill that lets us use our regular house phones all for $20/mo unlimited minutes.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #17

I cut the cord, we don't have a phone line, we have Mobile phones so there isn't even a phone line on our property. No cable TV or Satellite dish, we have an antenna on the roof and get full HD for free. We do get Netflix movies in the mail. We have our own well also so no city water lines on our property either. Been like this since 2004 so 10 yrs. now. We have saved about $45,000 and probably a lot more over the last 10 yrs.!!! Only one utility on our land and that's electricity. It runs from $75 to $160 in the summer months on a 2400 sq. ft. home. Our house is a 5 star energy efficiency home. We laugh at our neighbors for paying $350 to $500 for electric and that doesn't count their water, cable, phone bills. LOL oh we have one mobil with unlimited everything that's $45 month (Straight Talk). No enternet either its Part of the phone. We save on what we don't really need so we can have what we really want.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Another plus with OTA is the picture is better, IMHO. Instead of splitting the signal multiple times through cable and losing some of the signal, you get the exact signal sent over the airwaves. WE noticed a big difference when cutting the cord, and friends have noticed that our picture is better than what they have at home with cable.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Another plus with OTA is the picture is better, IMHO. Instead of splitting the signal multiple times through cable and losing some of the signal, you get the exact signal sent over the airwaves. WE noticed a big difference when cutting the cord, and friends have noticed that our picture is better than what they have at home with cable.
You are right I've compaired our neighbor HD to our OTA picture and ours is a lot better.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Yes, many people do not realize that their beloved cable and satellite providers degrade the signals significantly in order to cram as many channels as possible into their allocated bandwidth.

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote