Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

D-Day

Just a reminder, today is D-Day. It doesn't get the attention it deserves anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dday landing.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	79203  

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Just a reminder, today is D-Day. It doesn't get the attention it deserves anymore.

You are correct, it doesn't and that's a shame!
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

God bless them all.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

As much as I've read and watched about DDay I'm sure I still don't have the slightest idea what it was like to go through that or anything else it has taken to defend our country and freedom. I am in constant amazement of those who did and eternally grateful. True Heroes without a doubt. Thank you to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You are correct, D-day certainly does not get the attention it deserves. Thank you to all our veterans and active duty servicemen and their families!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
God bless them all.
Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
You are correct, D-day certainly does not get the attention it deserves. Thank you to all our veterans and active duty servicemen and their families!
X1000

For my fellow travelers, if you are in or planning to travel near New Orleans LA, I cannot recommend a visit to the National World War II museum there highly enough. It has many personal stories and such, that you can watch from the people who sacrificed so much for us. I recommend watching and listening to many of these first hand accounts of those who hit the beaches of Normandy and saved us from the dictatorships of the time.

I just got back last week from my 5th visit to this great place and still haven't done it all yet. They are constantly adding more exhibits and building new pavilions.

You many times will also get to personally meet some of the fast disappearing veterans of this conflict here.

The National WWII Museum | New Orleans

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Radio, thanks for posting this.
I was fortunate to finally visit Normandy just a couple of weeks ago.
Spent the entire day visiting various D-Day sites, including Omaha Beach, Point du Hoc, St Mere-Eglise and the American Cemetery and Memorial.
Since I was a kid, D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge fascinated me, because of their significance in WWII.
The overwhelming scope of D-Day is even more unbelievable, when you are actually in Normandy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Radio, thanks for posting this.
I was fortunate to finally visit Normandy just a couple of weeks ago.
Spent the entire day visiting various D-Day sites, including Omaha Beach, Point du Hoc, St Mere-Eglise and the American Cemetery and Memorial.
Since I was a kid, D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge fascinated me, because of their significance in WWII.
The overwhelming scope of D-Day is even more unbelievable, when you are actually in Normandy.
Do they still have the working models of the landing in Arromanches, FR? We were there in 1986. I am sure the mulberry harbors are still there as are some of the concrete boxes they floated over from England to build the highways from the ships to the shore. Absolutely amazing what was done. The cemetery is breath taking and absolutely immaculately maintained. God Bless those brave souls that gave their all.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Do they still have the working models of the landing in Arromanches, FR? We were there in 1986. I am sure the mulberry harbors are still there as are some of the concrete boxes they floated over from England to build the highways from the ships to the shore. Absolutely amazing what was done. The cemetery is breath taking and absolutely immaculately maintained. God Bless those brave souls that gave their all.
OC, I was told that only that Arromanches had some remnants of the Mulberry.
Didn't hear about working models.
Yes, the Cemetery is breath taking.
I now understand why those that lost loved ones, decided to let their loved ones stay there.
It is so gorgeous and peaceful there, it's a wonderful and honorable place to be buried at.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #10

I am very fortunate that I live very close to the Big Red One's museum in Wheaton IL. These are the grounds of Colonel R. McCormack called Cantigny which has the entire history of the first division on display.

I have taken my family there several times and now my grandkids. It is amazing and very life like in the displays and you walk on replica of the beach at Omaha exiting from a landing craft.

Yes; thanks to the greatest generation for their sacrifice and all others who have defended this great nation of ours.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
I now understand why those that lost loved ones, decided to let their loved ones stay there.
It is so gorgeous and peaceful there, it's a wonderful and honorable place to be buried at.
We were fortunate to live in Europe for several years and visited all of the major landings sites and battlefields in France, Belgium, and Germany.

Here is a photo on the way to the 2012 D-Day commemorative jump at Utah beach. Not many folks who have seen the Cemetery have seen it from the air.

We have several family members buried there. May they rest in peace and may we NEVER FORGET.
Attached Images

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Just Googled it and found this.