Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

Damn thieves!!

Kinda pissed off right now. Went to storage to pull out Woodstock for this weekend and found the nose flat on the ground- someone tried to take him! Don't know if it was the two hitch locks that slowed them down or the high tongue weight (1k) that discouraged. Just glad that he was still there and now thinking of plan c.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Kinda pissed off right now. Went to storage to pull out Woodstock for this weekend and found the nose flat on the ground- someone tried to take him! Don't know if it was the two hitch locks that slowed them down or the high tongue weight (1k) that discouraged. Just glad that he was still there and now thinking of plan c.
Wow, Thank goodness it was still there. A lot of idiots in my area will vandalize it since they could not get it. I hope your troubles are minimal after this.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #3

That sucks hondaman
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
GLCM Warrior

Glad it was still there!

Stinks that you need a plan c but this item might deter them from a second try:

Amazon.com: Trimax TWL100 Ultra-Max Adjustable Wheel Lock: Automotive

Best wishes...
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
GLCM Warrior

Another suggestion came to mind...

You might want to wrap your safety chains up around the frame and lock them too or put a quick disconnect in the chain then remove the safety chains altogether when not towing. Someone on the forum posted a video about folks stealing travel trailers by simply using the safety chains to hook up to their TV and tow it off.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:08 AM   #6

Sucks my friend! We've been using these for a while now and are very happy with them. http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-37.../dp/B000L9QRE8

Should be camping but I'm on Tapatalk
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:53 AM   #7
Just a member

How sad that we oft times have to pile theft prevention contraption on contraption to ward off the opportunist bottom feeders. Worse, plan D, E or F will not suffice if the low life is bound and determined to steal your stuff. A wild west analogy comes to mind but we're we're not supposed to do that any more.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #8

Get a rope!
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #9

Close call Hondaman

An investment in security devices is money well spent. Many of the security gadgets though are just locks and you end up with a bunch of keys.

We recently invested in an Iris alarm and automation system from Lowes and are very happy with it. The system has dozens of wireless devices that connect to the alarm including small wireless magnetic contact sensor ($15) with an inbuilt battery and also a temperature sensor.

We attached sensors to each outside locker and set the alarm each night so if something is moved or opened, the alarm goes off and we get txt's and emails if we are not home. Love the temperature feature. You can put the alert devices on other things - under a truck tonneau cover, gas tank flap, golf cart ...anything you like within range. There is also a range extender. If the magnetic switch is moved and opened you get an instant alarm (silent or audible) and can have "eyes on" with a wireless video camera.

For a unique twist we installed one on each fridge door, which has a stretch rope around it during travel. If it gets bumpy and rattles open, we get a txt saying so! No more warm beer!

One of the other nice features is a leak detector installed in the bathroom and kitchen floors. If water runs by it alarms you and will immediately turn off the water valve which can be installed.

Lowes have been very innovative in this space and I recommend a look. We invested about $700 all in, for many gadgets; a small price to pay compared to the cost of an RV, and gives great peace of mind.

If you installed the contact switches on your outside toys (and your front connection), you can monitor. Even the BBQ lid! If the cable Internet is disconnected a very reasonable $5 bucks a month allows for cellular backup including sending the camera video.

Lowes have nailed this - they shipped all the stuff to the RV Park and we installed it all in about an hour. Love being able to set the alarm and check the pets from the smartphone. We are going to install a remote thermostat control next and looking for something to automatically turn on our generator if the park power fails so the pets don't cook.

Love it!

www.irisbylowes.com
10' Idaho Tote Trailer & Bicycles
Street Legal Electric Golf Cart
Inflatable Boat w. 25HP Outboard
Shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #10

I hate liars and thieves! Booby trap!!
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 AM   #11

Oh and new thing found tonight when setting up at campsite. Someone thought it would be funny to open the black valve up! Now- I only noticed this as I was locking the generator to the slide and looked over. SOB! Closed the valve and took off cap to let water drain away. Luckily I put about 5 gallons of water in the black before we left to make sure stuff wasn't "concentrated". About 16oz of mostly clear water came out but boy that would have been a mess if I didn't catch it.

I am adding that to the pre trip check list now!

Just glad to get away
Old 08-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Oh and new thing found tonight when setting up at campsite. Someone thought it would be funny to open the black valve up! Now- I only noticed this as I was locking the generator to the slide and looked over. SOB! Closed the valve and took off cap to let water drain away. Luckily I put about 5 gallons of water in the black before we left to make sure stuff wasn't "concentrated". About 16oz of mostly clear water came out but boy that would have been a mess if I didn't catch it.

I am adding that to the pre trip check list now!
Ahhhhh that's just nasty and wrong. However, I can't help but lol a little especially when you said, SOB!! Hahaha! Still, the situation sucks!!

Should be camping but I'm on Tapatalk
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:29 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
Another suggestion came to mind...

You might want to wrap your safety chains up around the frame and lock them too or put a quick disconnect in the chain then remove the safety chains altogether when not towing. Someone on the forum posted a video about folks stealing travel trailers by simply using the safety chains to hook up to their TV and tow it off.
You may be talking about this one:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ler-82255.html

EDIT: I see that the video in the link has been made private now for some reason. May have been teaching too many thieves how to do it.

Here it is, shortened somewhat in another one. The premise is, you just have to wrap the safety chains tight around a hitch ball...and off you go. In the original video (made private) it showed more detail.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #14

If they want it they will get it. You can put all the chains and locks on the unit you want. They can cut it all. It just keeps honest people honest.

About the only thing you can do is take the wheels off and store them at home.

At least then the thief needs to come prepared with the right bolt pattern. But again. If they want it, they will get it. Just manage our risk with insurance and your fine.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #15

Spoke with the on property manager about the issue when we dropped off after this weekend. He seemed genuinely definitely shock and concerned. Gave him the dates between our last drop off and pickup and he will check the cameras for info. He said that he wants to find whatever info so that I can turn over to law enforcement. Also said that stolen units are bad for business and has made progress of securing the property more and hasn't had a break in of a unit in months.

If it matters, the camping was great this weekend!

Just glad to get away
Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #16
Site Team

Sorry to hear that someone messed with your RV but glad they didn't get it. Not having a break in in months doesn't sound like a long enough record. Where I used to keep my TT didn't have any trouble in over 7 years when I started keeping it there. A couple years later and new staff that record changed.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #17

sorry to hear but at least they didnt get it
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #18

or tear it up trying...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #19

That's a shame. I keep my unit in a high fenced gated lot and that stuff still happens. Someone tried to take my propane tanks but I installed locks on them so they didn't get them. Someone also tried to pry my large compartment door open. When we had our travel trailer, someone took our tire cover and wheel chocks. I found them two rows over on another camper. I had my name on them. Somebody also pulled my service cable out and cut it. You almost need alarm systems and lights on them but even that probably wouldn't deter them.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote